The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Key-Rect. Available again. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Rmendez no its a door that has a lock on it and you are able to have it standing up. Again only one key opens it and then you are able to pick the person who has the right key. Reset is done right in front of them as you close the door. It is a beautiful piece of mentalism I bought from Hocus Pocus about two years ago. Hope this helps.

Good magic to all,

Eric
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I'll post a comparison between all 3 when I receive Key Rect and my Supalok
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Perfect. Looking forward to it.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Just received "Key Rect". It is NOT the same as "Key-R-Rect". Totally different mechanism.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the spectator can open the lock themselves unless the magician holds the lock. Thumbs down from me.

Does anyone know what the difference is between "Key-R-Rect" and "Correct Key"??

Robert
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2016, pegasus wrote:

Long unavailable, the classic Key-Rect was one of the strongest mentalism routines that you'll ever perform!

WOW! this is some clever ad wording! This is NOT the classic Key-R-Rect! This will NOT replace your Correct Key or SupaLock or Key-R-Rect!
Further, locks of this type are readily available -- cheaper. (from http://www.carlyletouch.com/Effects.html for example)

s
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
To use the proper "locksmith jargon":

The original "Key-R-Rect" utilized a gimmicked "Master" brand WARDED laminated Padlock. The keys were of the typical double-sided "Warded key" type.

"Master" still makes these "Warded padlocks" today. The "cuts" in the keys are square.

Since the original "Key-R-Rect",
more modern versions use "Pin-tumbler" single-sided keys - such as those used on home door locks, only smaller in size. (the 'cuts' on the key are triangular)

"Warded Padlocks" are for low-security items, such as keeping a boundary gate or fence locked.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Robert - thanks for the heads up on the Max Maven video.

Very well done with many interviews with Weber and more. The key routine was very theatrical. Personally I do it differently but I liked the whole concept and some the the wording is useful. It was simple and powerful. Excellent
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:

Long unavailable, the classic Key-Rect was one of the strongest mentalism routines that you'll ever perform!

WOW! this is some clever ad wording! This is NOT the classic Key-R-Rect! This will NOT replace your Correct Key or SupaLock or Key-R-Rect!
Further, locks of this type are readily available -- cheaper. (from http://www.carlyletouch.com/Effects.html for example)

s

If this is in fact a g*****y lock, it is not a key r rect.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:

s

If this is in fact a g*****y lock, it is not a key r rect.

Isn't that what I said? (and it is, in fact.)

to be fair, the ad doesn't actually spell out the routine or say it is the same. It IS imo, VERY deceptive and named/written to make us think it is something it is NOT. SHAMEFUL.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I agree. Very misleading.

Robert
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, Robert M wrote:
I agree. Very misleading.

Robert

Over the years I have found many misleading effect descriptions in ads for these gaffed locks.

Or should I say that they avoid to mention certain details, like (magician's)hands off for instance.

It is like the seller wants the buyer to hope that, this time, at last, he is not going to get a lock if the grav*** type or the other also common p*** out the k*** style lock when he wants the type of lock we are discussing here, Correct Key, Supalok etc.

Personally I have, unfortunately, during the years, experienced a couple of disappointments when I ordered a couple of these false advertised items.

But I am surprised that Hocus Pocus uses this misleading advertising!

I have, and use, Correct Key from Jim Grathoff and it works perfectly.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Okay, I said I would post my review after I received Key Rect and Supalok.

Correct Key: This can be done 100% hands off, but it has old style keys. This is a drawback for some people (including me), but I used it for years and I love it.

Key Rect: This is brand new and the ad is a bit misleading. It COULD be done hands off, but you'd really have to have strong audience management and direction. The lock is very well made and will do what it does 100%, but you will most likely be the one opening the lock itself. The key selection process will be very clean and you can clearly and cleanly keep the selected key visible for fairness. Overall, it's not a terrible drawback, but there are better options out there for a cleaner routine.

Supalok: Holy Grail. This lock is a miracle. It is a super quick set up, it's COMPLETELY hands off, and it's 100% surefire. This is what I will be using from now on, and I will be on the lookout for other sizes. I will be grabbing more as they pop up because of how perfect this lock is. The drawback, it's 2-3 times more expensive than all of the other locks. I'm a believer in buying quality. I go with the old saying "If you buy cheap you buy twice."
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Supa lock all the way. I have the large size.

A routine I see is

Have a set of wrist chains. And have one of those grinders that creates immense sparks. After they check all the keys place the wrist chains on a man and a women from different parts of the audience.

Have the women pick a key and grind it. Place it in a box. Have the man pick a key. Finally at the end if available have the women's friend or spouse pick a key.

At the end have two and have each side of the audience shout their choice.

It's just an idea. Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I won't use anything other than supalok. It's the best. It's a shame Mick passed on as he created the best lock yet. I use mine at every stage show.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
It's the best. It's a shame Mick passed on as he created the best lock yet. I use mine at every stage show.

I believe someone beat him to it. What year did Mick "create" the Supalock?

s
patrickmg
View Profile
New user
South Florida
57 Posts

Profile of patrickmg
Sorry to jump in this thread, but I am looking for the notice of the original Key-R-Rect. I got an original set from an estate, but it is missing the documentation with it. I would appreciate if someone who has one can contact me by PM. Thanks
Terrormaster
View Profile
Regular user
New England
139 Posts

Profile of Terrormaster
I know SupaLock is the gold standard. But are there any gimmicked locks still actively on the market that the spectator can unlock themselves? The ones I am finding seem to be a variation or rebranded version of the updated Key-R-Rect lock.

-TM
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, Terrormaster wrote:
I know SupaLock is the gold standard. But are there any gimmicked locks still actively on the market that the spectator can unlock themselves? The ones I am finding seem to be a variation or rebranded version of the updated Key-R-Rect lock.

-TM

??????
The spectator CAN unlock Key-R-Rect and Correct key themselves.
Terrormaster
View Profile
Regular user
New England
139 Posts

Profile of Terrormaster
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:

-TM

??????

I've been seeing mixed comments and reviews in that regards. They CAN do it but that its troublesome and the performer might as well do it themselves. Can the spec unlock (in their own hands) the new Key-R-Rect that's made in a more modern style?
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:

-TM

??????

I've been seeing mixed comments and reviews in that regards. They CAN do it but that its troublesome and the performer might as well do it themselves. Can the spec unlock (in their own hands) the new Key-R-Rect that's made in a more modern style?

I don't know anything about a "New" Key-R-Rect, but the original, which I have been using forever, is completely hands off and the spectator can and should open it themselves. It works flawlessly every time.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Key-Rect. Available again. (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL