The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Looking for a friend that would be willing to talk a bit. ( Making a show, creative ideas etc) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Hi there!

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, some are magic collectors, some are restaurant workers, marketing masters, effect creators, etc etc.

My weak point is being able to take the stuff that I know and apply it into a performance, more specifically, a higher-caliber show. With talking points, topics, effects that all work together etc etc.

So, if there is someone out there in MagicCafe land, who loves coming up with cool show ideas for fun, and you're able to put together tons of different acts, and get shows off the the ground, and the ideas just flow naturally for you, and you like to nerd out and talk about show ideas, representational ideas, etc etc, then you are the person I am looking for.

I'm not looking for someone to create anything for me, or make a show for me. Nothing like that, I am just stuck mentally, I have a lot of clutter floating around up there, I'm a bit scatterbrained and would like to try and sort some of it out by talking with someone for a little via skype, phone, facetime, etc. I feel like it would be easier than trying to translate all my thoughts into text and putting up 1000's of posts.

So, if there is someone out there that might be willing to nerd out on magic talk for a while with me, and you actually do shows, create routines, like discussing plots, and show topics and other aspects of performance. Then please send me a PM. I would love to make a friend or two to be able to chat with. Specifically about that type of stuff.

Send me a PM and I we can discuss what it is I am stuck on in a little more detail, and hopefully that could lead into a few smaller phone calls. That would be a MASSIVE help.

Looking forward to chatting with some nice people that are chill and into what I am into chatting about.

Thanks.

Cheers!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6851 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Most part time pro's. need to produce a show/act, that can play almost anywhere, for almost anybody. (Otherwise, they won't get much work!!!

It's important to have a CRITERIA.

Unless a performer has CREDENTIALS, the odds are that he wont be able to be of much help. (NEMO DAT QUOD NON HABET! --NO ONE CAN GIVE WHAT HE DOES NOT HAVE!)

After 70 years of performing (50 as a full timer) I finally wrote a book. It describes how I started out, performers I met and knew, the show that I produced, and performed successfully for most of my life, and, even in detail, most of the tricks and routines that I developed. (I've never "invented" any tricks.)

My show toured coast to coast and border to border, and, I was never "at liberty".

There is even a dvd available with a couple of shows before a live audience.

The book is definitely NOT a "miracle drug", but, it may help you to start thinking!

The book is not free! I spent five years writing it! The book and dvd are available at Abbott's Joe Stevens, Magic Inc., Denny & Lees, and FAB Magic>

If you've read any of my posts, you know that I don't waste much space talking about the "latest & greatest". I learned from people like TARBELL, FITZKEE, MASKELYNNE & DEVANT, et al.

T A N S T A F L! (There Aint No Such Thing As Free Lunch!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Thanks for the info. I'll look into your work.

However I think part of my problem is just that, all the books, videos, posts, articles I read saying how to do this and that, what not to do, theory. Some ideas contradicting other and so on. I feel like part of the problem is that I have crammed so much reading and ideas in other the years that it's just a big ball of blur.

That's why I don't think another book is what I need. I need someone to discuss things with. A lot of my magic friends are either more into doing moves and flourishes, they are into a different niche of magic that wouldn't help, or they are into the creation side of it but are extremely busy. I do have one friend Michael that is super helpful, but I can't turn to him all the time. I don't feel right doing that. So, that's the reason for this post.

Just looking for some new friends chat about magic with on the phone every now and again, that fit the "niche" that I'm describing.

Thanks again!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6851 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
There is a major difference between THEORY, and FACT.

Sophocles said it a few thousand years ago: "One learns by DOING the thing!" I learned by doing, over 70 years. I was never "at liberty"!

You sound a bit like HAMLET! ("To wish it done, to will it done, etc", Read Shakespeare!

Sorry, but,it would be difficult, if not impossible to have a meaningful discussion with you. --You don't write coherent sentences!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
887 Posts

Profile of Aus
Head Case give me a PM I'll be happy to have a chat with you about any thoughts you might have. I like the creative aspects of magic and have guided many people on routining an act and ideas for presentations.

Magically

Aus
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
861 Posts

Profile of helder
If I can help, let me know.

Helder
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
408 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Start with Topics you like to talk about. Use those topics to form into a narrative.... use the narrative to introduce an effect or have an effect clearly show the concept.
So maybe you should just post a little more about the magic you do, possible a list of effects or even more about what type of magic is it, stage, close up, parlor. Cards? Mixed, or prop type magic? Mentalism?

I also have a lot of fun getting creative with people. I enjoy writing and can possibly help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Looking for a friend that would be willing to talk a bit. ( Making a show, creative ideas etc) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL