The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The Memory Arts by David Trustman and Sarah Trustman [Tamariz's Mnemonica] (79 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
232 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
How useful would this method be for remembering spectators names (or indeed names in general)?

Thank you in advance

Danny
Let the Entertainment Commence!
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
862 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Danny, I don't think this particular method would be helpful in remembering names. This is more practical for remembering lists of items in sequence. I highly recommend Harry Lorayne's Memory Book to remember names and faces (amongst many other things). In all honesty, I'm pretty good at remembering people's names without resorting to any memory technique. Sometimes, all we have to do is just pay attention and make that extra effort in order to remember a name. It's really not that difficult. But if you're trying to memorize like 100 faces, then yeah, mnemonics are your answer for sure...

Mor
DrBrewhaha
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of DrBrewhaha
Wow. Not a new technique for sure. But new to me. I just spent about 2 hours and know Mnemonica both ways (card to number and number to card). Still need to work on my speed but the system freaking works. Currently using just 26 locations and find have 2 cards per location to be a sweet spot because you almost always need 2 objects to "tell a story" at each location.

Very, very impressed.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1625 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I give away FREE playing cards & Magic each month!
Youtube @MagicOrthodoxy
Magic1
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
347 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Does anyone know if the memory journey of the first 26 cards/positions of the new book is identical to the first 26 of the old one? I’m waiting for the new one (with all 52 positions) to get to me in the mail and wanted to know if I could begin studying by using the old one.
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
Quote:
On May 10, 2018, Magic1 wrote:
Does anyone know if the memory journey of the first 26 cards/positions of the new book is identical to the first 26 of the old one? I’m waiting for the new one (with all 52 positions) to get to me in the mail and wanted to know if I could begin studying by using the old one.


Yes I have the Aronson digital version and the first 26 are the same as in the new book.
Spookysangel1
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Spookysangel1
Hi, I bought their latest book 'The Memory Arts' and have to say its an excellent buy if you want to learn stacks in everyway to remember them in all 52 positions, plus there is a grid Feinaigle system to link them all together, not only for cards memory but anything you would like to have in your memory palace, lists, phone no.s, even kings queens from history, not quite magic but great for studys too etc. (wish I had this info when I was at school)
All written in a straight forward way, its so easy to learn, within one hr of study I learnt the 52 locations and the Tamariz's and Aronson's stack within those locations, just need a little more practice to recall at speed.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4333 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 10, 2018, Magic1 wrote:
Does anyone know if the memory journey of the first 26 cards/positions of the new book is identical to the first 26 of the old one? I’m waiting for the new one (with all 52 positions) to get to me in the mail and wanted to know if I could begin studying by using the old one.


Yes, the first 26 positions are the same but if you wish to use the whole 52, when you start using only the e-book version, ONLY assign 1 card to each position. In other words, you are just going to want to start with the first 26 cards as well.

The e-book actually teaches the entire stack using cards 1 and 2 in position 1 then cards 3 and 4 in position 2... The hardback teaches both stacks (Tamariz and Aronson) seperate using the 2 card per position like the e-books but goes on to teach BOTH STACKS together using one card from each stack in every position from 1 - 52.

Hope that helps explain the difference.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Special user
928 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On May 10, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On May 10, 2018, Magic1 wrote:
Does anyone know if the memory journey of the first 26 cards/positions of the new book is identical to the first 26 of the old one? I’m waiting for the new one (with all 52 positions) to get to me in the mail and wanted to know if I could begin studying by using the old one.


Yes, the first 26 positions are the same but if you wish to use the whole 52, when you start using only the e-book version, ONLY assign 1 card to each position. In other words, you are just going to want to start with the first 26 cards as well.

The e-book actually teaches the entire stack using cards 1 and 2 in position 1 then cards 3 and 4 in position 2... The hardback teaches both stacks (Tamariz and Aronson) seperate using the 2 card per position like the e-books but goes on to teach BOTH STACKS together using one card from each stack in every position from 1 - 52.

Hope that helps explain the difference.


I know others might be exasperated discussing this, but since I'm a little slow and want to make sure, is it easy to say, memorize 1 card per position easily using just one stack without learning the other? Or is there more work involved to separate stacks and remove cards or positions?

Basically I just want to memorize Mnemonica utilizing 52 positions without doing more than simply going through what they give us to learn it (not having to subtract, ignore, etc, if that makes sense) and not getting fancy with 2 cards at each position, two stacks or one.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4333 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 10, 2018, Nathan Alexander wrote:

I know others might be exasperated discussing this, but since I'm a little slow and want to make sure, is it easy to say, memorize 1 card per position easily using just one stack without learning the other? Or is there more work involved to separate stacks and remove cards or positions?

Basically I just want to memorize Mnemonica utilizing 52 positions without doing more than simply going through what they give us to learn it (not having to subtract, ignore, etc, if that makes sense) and not getting fancy with 2 cards at each position, two stacks or one.


Yours is an easy one. Yes, it is possible to learn only one stack using all 52 positions and it is easier than learning both. I am actually learning Aronson only while using all 52 positions in the hardback (which I find much simpler than doubling up on the first 26 positions like "book A" taught). I may "eventually" try Tamariz later, but this is enough for now.

Hope that helps
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of danster08
For those using this method to memorize a stack, I have a question. I am getting tripped up on remembering what card is at what number, since they are doubled on each location. So for instance, card 3 is actually in location 2, and so on from there. How are you keeping track, or are you using the additional 26 scenes and only keeping 1 card at each scene? I hope this makes since.
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
http://danielleemagic.com/
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7948 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You guys really gotta' start reading the good stuff!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, danster08 wrote:
For those using this method to memorize a stack, I have a question. I am getting tripped up on remembering what card is at what number, since they are doubled on each location. So for instance, card 3 is actually in location 2, and so on from there. How are you keeping track, or are you using the additional 26 scenes and only keeping 1 card at each scene? I hope this makes since.


I am using 26 scenes with 2 cards each. I remember what card is at which scene, imagine the image so I know whether it's the first or second card, and then do the math to arrive at the stack number. The more you do it, the faster you get.
paperinick
View Profile
Special user
my faro is starting to look nice after
937 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, Harry Lorayne wrote:
You guys really gotta' start reading the good stuff!

At the end is about loci vs. peg.
I tried them both and for me the peg system is way better, kinda feel like I have a backup (don't remember the loci, you are screwed; don't remember the peg you can likely "compute" it).
I've started Mnemonica with the peg system and so far it's been great. I am following Aragon's suggestion to stop at half of the deck for a while so that you can more easily distinguish the two halves.

Last but not least: Mnemonica is the de-facto standard. You can buy new decks which start in Mnemonica order or have position marked using Mnemonica.
So far the only advantage for the Aronson stack is the ability to perform Shuffle-Bored by just using a slip cut vs. having to pull multiple cards out of the stack with mnemonica.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
288 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Don't forget the built in expanded Zen's poker stack.
While I don't perform poker demo's it's possibly the one built in feature I would want. No shifting cards, and straight forward.
Mnemonica is a nice stack, random looking and easy to get into from NDO. However I'm not a huge fan of shifting cards around on the fly while in memstack, and many "built in routines" require slight restacking.

Really looking forward to reading Tamariz's method to transform Mnemonica to Stebbins. I hope it's direct.

Redford's stack is great, but I'm not a fan of overhand runs or table restacks.

Still looking for the Memdeck Grail.
Special mention for Doug's Quickerstack.

Best,
Jed
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
951 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, JBSmith1978 wrote:
Really looking forward to reading Tamariz's method to transform Mnemonica to Stebbins. I hope it's direct.

Where/when will this be released?
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1716 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, JBSmith1978 wrote:
Don't forget the built in expanded Zen's poker stack.
While I don't perform poker demo's it's possibly the one built in feature I would want. No shifting cards, and straight forward.
Mnemonica is a nice stack, random looking and easy to get into from NDO. However I'm not a huge fan of shifting cards around on the fly while in memstack, and many "built in routines" require slight restacking.

Really looking forward to reading Tamariz's method to transform Mnemonica to Stebbins. I hope it's direct.

Redford's stack is great, but I'm not a fan of overhand runs or table restacks.

Still looking for the Memdeck Grail.
Special mention for Doug's Quickerstack.

Best,
Jed


What are you a fan of? I ask as I'm curious what an acceptable shuffle method would be. Are you okay with Faro Shuffles? There are also a few ways into stack explained in the book that don't use shuffles or dealing piles of cards to the table at all (faro, overhand, or otherwise)
andre.eighty
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of andre.eighty
Is Book B available (ebook or physical) for those that have already purchased Book A? Or do you have to purchase the 300+ page physical book to get the rest of the information?
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
287 Posts

Profile of Kingman
I myself have the nice hard cover that came out last. It is a very good quality book. Story and information are entertaining. Pictures are memorable, and that's key.
I was able to lock in Aronson stack in four days. I have been doing magic for a long time and have never been able to get a deck locked in. I tried Joyal's, but I forgot the rules. Tried peg systems, but could never get the words and pairs to stay in my head. This was perfect for me, I had to learn a story and that was it. I can recall the cards, the numbers, tell you were all the suits are, forward, backward, starting any point. I know that many have used and had great success with the peg system, but for me, it did not work. This did. Like gangbusters! I think it is a great purchase.
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7948 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Why does the phrase "Speak for yourself" come to mind??? You against many millions.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The Memory Arts by David Trustman and Sarah Trustman [Tamariz's Mnemonica] (79 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL