The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why do magicians still love buying magic books? (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2017, Lempereur wrote:
The act this his Encyclopedia of Card magic Series STILL sells at it's original list price, almost 30 years later.

Clearly you're not subscribed to L&L's email list...
RevConfused
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
65 Posts

Profile of RevConfused
My love of books will always win out to my dying day.

A well written book speaks to me far more than the same words on a screen. Maybe it's nostalgia?
Maybe I love books on magic just as I prefer old school magic tricks?

I'd mourn the day when books were finally phased out in favour of digital media.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2017, Lempereur wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2017, Rachmaninov wrote:
Oh no ! The info didn't reach Europe. Your sentence drove me to make a net research. What a sad news. His warm and nice smile is a big lost for our community.

Daryl was truly one of the best magic teachers. The act this his Encyclopedia of Card magic Series STILL sells at it's original list price, almost 30 years later.

He made you feel good about card magic, and gave you that great smile from the opening to the closing.....

Not quite 30 years ago, 21 years ago the VHS set came out in 1996. It is much cheaper now if you look around and are on L&L's list sometimes it is $99.00 or $80 for their $10 DVD specials. The DVD set is still one my top favorite sets of all time, and is the most comprehensive DVD set on card sleights that there is. I had the VHS sets back then also, and I still watch the DVDS till this day.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I would have to argue against the claim that "everything is knowable via Google". Google certainly hasn't replaced the need for books because not every book has been digitized, and not every routine or move is on YouTube. Scores of routines and moves are still only knowable via books. I recently purchased The Magic of Michael Ammar and Richard Kaufmann's CoinMagic. Why? Because there are certain acquiments and routines from those tomes that have not, thank God, filtered out onto Google or YouTube. And those are the tip of the iceberg. By ignoring books you are essentially cutting yourself off from hundreds of years of magic secrets. I am not actually complaining, because as so many people keep buying and performing the same latest one-trick dvd, I am learning old school things that become new school because nobody has seen them recently. Magic books are my secret weapon.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
One reason I really like books is the feeling of the secret being trusted to me. Sure, a thousand people have read it before and after me, but it's like the secret it being entrusted to me.
Since that's how I learned as a kid, I am at least a little inclined to try to keep that tradition alive. When it's on my shelf, and I'm the only one within two degrees that has access to the knowledge, I feel entrusted, part of something, and being honest, a little elite as well.

I don't really get that when I watch the mechanical, no crowd, no imagination version of passing on secrets.
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
When I started in magic back in the late 60's and my first book was "The Amateurs Magician's Handbook" . It was and is the perfect starter book to introduce someone into the world of magic. I can't see a DVD even coming close to what this book did for me, as far as educating me into what it takes to PERFORM magic and have it be entertaining. To me books are, at times, a Personal connection to the author. They explain the trick and while I'm learning it I'm visualizing myself performing it, not the author. The trick, the actions, the moves and even the patter are now part of ME. All this is in a book for anyone that cares to open and read it. Now at times books are maddening. Especially when it makes reference to a move in a book you don't own. This will assist you in getting more books to add to your collection and making use of the knowledge of friends you've made in the magic community. DVD's are fine, but their terrible to use as a reference. If I have a question about a trick I simply use books and/or call a friend. I do seem to be acquiring more and more ebooks/PDFs; however, I still consider them books, just super portable.
SandwichMan
View Profile
New user
Myrtle Beach
77 Posts

Profile of SandwichMan
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2016, DiegoNovati wrote:
5. A book last long, a dvd is design to last 10 years (the VHS are unreadable today)

Wait...really? But my Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone DVD From 2002 still plays today!

As for my reply to the personal poster, although lots of exposure on how tricks are done can be found online, I buy books to support the creators. Also, reading through a physical book is quite different for me than from reading from a computer. This may sound strange, but holding a book makes me feel like I'm holding power. Plus, reading the material and digesting it in your mind vs. watching it visually done via videos requires more effort...and that extra effort is useful in exercising your mind.

If I can choose between a book or PDF, I'd choose the physical book, but I might reconsider if the price is drastically different.
Music is meaningless if it cannot be FELT be cannot it if meaningless is magic.
RevConfused
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
65 Posts

Profile of RevConfused
I've re-read this thread, and although I still stand by my previous post I'll add:

"because I respect magic and those who came before and put years and lives into it before me"
normative
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of normative
Maybe worth adding, in light of the OP's reference to cost, that the value proposition for a lot of the hoary classics is actually pretty great. Sure, there are plenty of small-run hardbacks that contain a half dozen card effects for the cost of a used Buick, but you can get a paperback of Expert Card Technique or Modern Coin Magic for less than the price of a movie ticket (quite a bit less if you find a used copy), the quality of explanation is usually better than you'll find on some random website, and it's usually more convenient to consult while you're sitting in front of a mirror practicing than your laptop or smartphone. There's also, of course, some value to the progression, especially when one is just starting out: You get the fundamentals explained, and then learn how you can use them first in easier, then more difficult effects. Having the books to hand also makes learning from online or video sources more productive, because books will often give you many variations on a move to try out. Usually if you're trying to pick up an effect from a video (or a written blog explanation), you'll learn whatever variant of the constituent sleights the author or performer prefers to use. Having a book to hand makes it easy to see what your options are if you don't care for a particular move they're using, or if the version you normally rely on isn't meshing well with a particular effect.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
The fundamental reason? I think there will always be a romantic notion of a magician's library rather than a magician's DVD collection.
Glen Guldbeck
View Profile
New user
Leesburg, VA
81 Posts

Profile of Glen Guldbeck
I love books because how I chose to learn the effect within is 100% my choice. I'm in control of the learning process by bringing the printed material to life in the manner I chose.
I don't have anyone on a googled search determining that for me. Plus I love the tactile nature of holding a book in my hands; feeling the spine, making notes in the column, highlighting relevant passages, etc. Googling effects is fine for research, but I'm typically searching for where the material I seek is in print. Sometimes, and e-version is the only choice you have and I'm good with that. But if I can take up another inch of my magic bookcase, then I will. As alluded to in an earlier post, I also love seeing my collection displayed; the titles, color of the dust jackets, author's names, title of the book, and most importantly, what resides within. It's fun to randomly select a book, open it at any point, and read the routine, sleight, or article that is staring me in the face. Add in a couple fingers of scotch, a fresh deck of my favorite cards on my practice pad, in my dimly lit study, and I'll be having a perfect night. But then my wife typically asks me to make a Costco run. Last time I checked, the magic book selection at Costco is less than stellar. But I digress...
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I fully understand what Glen just said, as I’m feeling the axact same things when I’m in my library.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, PapaG wrote:
The fundamental reason? I think there will always be a romantic notion of a magician's library rather than a magician's DVD collection.

A quick side note, once I visit a magician's / celebrity illusionist studio (name non-disclosed) when I saw his bookshelf / DVD video shelf I can basically know how deep he loves / understands magic.

Magic book collection might not make you a better magician but at least it told me how deep you love / desire to learn & perfect your magic. Period.

The ending of my little story above: I never discuss any magic with that magician again.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2018, Steven Leung wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, PapaG wrote:

A quick side note, once I visit a magician's / celebrity illusionist studio (name non-disclosed) when I saw his bookshelf / DVD video shelf I can basically know how deep he loves / understands magic.

Magic book collection might not make you a better magician but at least it told me how deep you love / desire to learn & perfect your magic. Period.

The ending of my little story above: I never discuss any magic with that magician again.

So true !
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Some day all this technology stuff will be gone -- I like books I'm building a library. Books rock!!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
It's also easier to find a book on your shelf than a digital file on some device in some folder. Also, years later when that pdf, epub, AZW,or LIT can't be read because they are no longer compatible with the latest device, that dusty book with the torn dust jacket will be instantly available. It's also nice if the author signed the book too.

Larry Smile
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
I generally know where whatever book it is I'm looking for is at. Larry the books from you that I got are great but you forgot to sign them. I hope that when I get the next Magica book you'll remember to sign it for me Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Sorry Karl. Must have been writers cramp or more likely brain cramp. Magical IV will be out this Fall. I will sign it for you.

Larry
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why do magicians still love buying magic books? (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL