The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Old Style electronic device (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
457 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
When I was a kid, in grade school (1965) one of my friends brought in some magic tricks and did a magic show for us for a show and tell day. One of the tricks was a Magic Switchboard, that his dad had made.

In the past I have come across these plans somewhere, but at the time, I was uninterested. Now unfortunately, I am very interested and can't find anything about them.

Has anyone seen the plans I am talking about, or, does anyone have an idea of how I can accomplish this?

Thanks
Steve Smile
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Can you describe the effect?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1301 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Well, one switchboard that I am aware of is the Wellington switchboard. check it out:

http://www.wellingtonent.com/document/offers.html
Sent from my Typewriter
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I remember seeing plans for a Magic Switchboard also. It may have been in one of Martin Gardner's books. I'm not 100% positive though.

Micheal Leath
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Years ago, about 1965, I remember magicians playing with this effect. As I recall, and I played with it, the effect was similar but inferior to the Wellington Switchboard. In those days the typical switchboard was three lights and a series of switches built on a minibox from Radio Shack. The idea was that one switch would make the light go on, then it would not and another would. The modus operandi was that it was all wired in series and there was a hidden switch. The magician held the box and by pressing on a side he could make any switch work, or not work,. Frankly, it was not so amazing.
quack
camikesrd
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond,Virginia
103 Posts

Profile of camikesrd
There are plans in the first 10 or so issues of the Jinx. It's the basis of the Wellington but only one color bulbs (3)Tannen had one in the 1960's that was in a plastic box. They were computer sequence switches, I was told. I have one and also Grant made one in a box the size of a cigar box out of plywood, I also have.

.......Mike
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20747 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bob Swalding in England has the switch board in his old lecture notes. It uses very small reed switches.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7300 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The original effect with the small switch was called "Lucky Light" or "Impossible". It was made by Bob Lambacher and Bob Turk from Detroit, Michigan.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
457 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
It seems I don't check back here often enough. Sorry, guess I forgot about this posting.

Thanks for all the help guys. This contains a lot of good info, and leads, but I have more questions, and comments:

redstreak,
If you go to the website that "mvmagic" so kindly provided, http://www.wellingtonent.com/document/offers.html
they show the effect, and give a short idea of it.

mvmagic,
Thank you for the website.

Micheal Leath,
Thanks for the "Martin Gardner" books idea. I have spent a bit of time checking out his writings, but he seems to be/have been (?) very prolific, and I haven't had any luck there yet. If you happen to remember the name of the book, or approx. when it was written, it would definitely speed up the search.

Magicduck,
It must have made an impression on me, 'cause I still remember it, and for me, that's good. I think the right age group would go for it. With the right presentation, I actually believe any group would like it. Guess it's another 'beauty being in the eye of the beholder' thing.

Mike,
I am a bit dense, so forgive me, but when you said,

"There are plans in the first 10 or so issues of the Jinx,"

did you mean that it is somewhere in the first 10 issues, or that it was an ongoing/continued series covered in the first 10 issues? My too simple mind is having a hard time deciphering this.

wmhegbli,
Any idea where I can get a copy of those old lecture notes, or if you could give me the name of the set of lecture notes, I'll hunt for them.

Richard,
Any idea how I could get in touch with Bob Lambacher and/or Bob Turk?

I want to again apologize for taking so long to answer, and also to thank you all for the great replies. This is more info on the "Magic Switchboard" than I have been able to come up with in years.
However, I am still searching for plans, so if anyone has any more leads, I will gladly search them out.

Thanks again
Steve Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7300 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob Lambacher can be reached at (330)253-3495. I do not know if he has any parts left or if he has any of the Lucky lights left. Tell him I sent you.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
camikesrd
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond,Virginia
103 Posts

Profile of camikesrd
Sdgiu et al,

Sorry to be so late getting back to you but I don't come on the Café every night. The Jinx item I mentioned was not where I said it was, sorry. It is in
issue #58/July 1939 on page 421 of the second book of the Tannen reprints of the Jinx. It's not as detailed as I remembered but it's a start. I have a lucky light that Mr. Hughes mentioned but it is not for sale. Also I have the Grant version. I believe it's called "Betcha Buzz Box." .....Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Old Style electronic device (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL