The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Special cards when strolling (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Hey,

I was wondering what do you guys and girls do with the special cards that end up in your deck after a routine you do and then continue strolling or table hopping? For example I have a new routine where at the end of the trick I'm left with one blank card somewhere in the middle of the deck. And the question for me is how and when do I get rid of it so I can use the deck as regular deck again. During the trick I have changed this blank card into the chosen card so it would be quite anti climax for me to take it out then and there, but if I take it out at the next table before I start, I feel that would seem odd also. Any ideas?

Alex
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Just keep it in the deck, no biggie. "Oh they forgot to print one".
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
You could also mark the card on the edge in the corner so you can cut it to the top or bottom then palm it off or leave it in the box when you take the cards back out.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Good ideas both! Thanks!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you make it a "short card" you could use it in the deck for other tricks.
then easily control it out of the deck at any time, or leave it in the deck where you like.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you just look through the deck as you are talking and take it out how tough is that? It isn't a big deal don't make it a big deal.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Well, Danny taking a card out with no explanation would look a bit suspicious, wouldn't it? How about taking out but miscalling it as a Joker as you pocket it?

Another idea would be to use that card as part of an ambitious card sequence:

1) Look through deck with faces toward yourself and cut the Blank card to the top
2) Have a card selected
3) Use Marlo's TILT to apparently place card in the middle and come to the top
4) Apparently, place top card in pocket (Really Blank Card) then show it back on top
5) Proceed with Ambitous card routine.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Get it to the top as you are saying goodbye and take it out on the way to the next table. Suspicious? Hardly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Thank you for your thoughts guys! It could very well be that I am over thinking it, as Danny suggests, but usually better that way, I think. And also, now I got all these great ideas from you that I can play with!

Alex
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I would agree with Zach or Magic Mike. Probably more toward magic mike az tje removal is justified
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What exactly is "justified" and why bother when you are fiddling with the deck between tables? The things magicians worry about amuse me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Danny let's not chide people for asking a question. He didn't say it was a big deal.

Personally, I think people do notice a magician fiddling with a deck between tables.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is running when nobody is chasing you.

I mean Mike do you really think people are watching you as you move from one table to another? I am not chiding anyone when I claim that people in a restaurant have far more things to do than watch the magician move from table to table. 99% of them won't even notice. SO much is happening with wait staff that it is a blur at best.

It is not chiding people to simply try to get new people to understand reality.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
That is my experience. I found out long ago that if I look through a deck of cards idly someone will say "Ah, setting up for the next trick eh?". This happened enough times for me to realize some people were paying attention to that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure that if one person says something, ten people saw the same thing and didn't say anything.

There is nothing wrong with putting a little thought into small details. Just keep it in proportion.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Harry Lorayne used to set the deck in front of them while talking to them AT the table.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Setting up in front of people is A solution. Harry Lorayne was the best at that. It fit his character to fuss with the cards and he also had various rationales that he said while doing it.

I haven't gotten his new book where he says he goes into detail on setting up in front of people but I'm very interested.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think what Danny is describing is a great lesson for magicians to learn and is really really important.
When the heat is off, it's really off!!

Unless you're the rare person who has spectators following them into the bathroom to find out what's really going on in there, I think you should seize the opportunity to tidy up between tricks and between tables.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I definitely agree with Danny and Ambitious, it is being way overthought here in my experience table hopping. Some people don't even realize you are a magician going from table to table, much less that you removed a card between them.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
One could also leave or put Jokers in the deck. Remove the special card along with the Jokers as you start your next trick.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
If it's that much of an issue, don't do the trick.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Special cards when strolling (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL