The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Criticism Please for My Slow Motion Aces (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MagicianInTrouble
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of MagicianInTrouble
Quote:
I've always opted for pinky pulldowns over buckles, because then all the business takes place at the back of the packet instead of front and center. So if you do stick with buckles, I would caution you to a) work on making them quicker and less severe, and b) angling the packet down so as to shade the buckle action at the front.

This is far less an issue when the buckle is performed properly, which is to apply pressure with the left forefinger from the outer right corner to the inner left corner (diagonally), not from one outer corner to the other. The latter will always present an open space that's visible and difficult to hide, but the former will never cause a separation at the front end, and the back end of the card will actually separate farther from the deck with less pressure, so it eases up the move all around.
MagicianInTrouble
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of MagicianInTrouble
Shaun,

When we tell someone a story, how the story is told is often more important than simply what happens in the story. At each step of the way, the audience has to know or understand certain things so the story builds in their minds and when the end is reached, they fully appreciate how it all wrapped up in a good way.

Doing a magic trick is a lot like that. What does the audience need to know and appreciate each step of the way? What must you tell them, either directly or indirectly, verbally or non-verbally, to lead them, interested, to the next moment? What is it about the last ace, the end of the story, that will cause everything to fall into place and make them really feel its impact? What, in short, is the story of an ace assembly?

There are no absolute answers to these questions, but when you start to get a sense of what some answers could be, your ace assembly will start to take on a sense of purpose, which is what you're presently lacking.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, MagicianInTrouble wrote:
Quote:
I've always opted for pinky pulldowns over buckles, because then all the business takes place at the back of the packet instead of front and center. So if you do stick with buckles, I would caution you to a) work on making them quicker and less severe, and b) angling the packet down so as to shade the buckle action at the front.

This is far less an issue when the buckle is performed properly, which is to apply pressure with the left forefinger from the outer right corner to the inner left corner (diagonally), not from one outer corner to the other. The latter will always present an open space that's visible and difficult to hide, but the former will never cause a separation at the front end, and the back end of the card will actually separate farther from the deck with less pressure, so it eases up the move all around.

Absolutely true. But I prefer no work to occur at the front end.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2479 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
MagicianinTrouble wrote:

Quote:
After laying down the Ace of Spades, he places the two remaining aces onto the deck and immediately picks up a single ace and tables it as the left hand thumbs the supposed fourth ace onto the table. Rupert is suggesting that the left hand take only the double and that the right hand never lets go of the single, traveling to the table with it.

Ok, I see that now and I agree.

There is another problem with Shaun's layout in his last video.

Shaun, you lay out a black card first, then show three remaining cards as black, black and red. This is because you began with alternating colors. You need to begin with the aces in the order AH,AC,AS,AD. The audience will still see two ace of clubs but at least they will see two black and two red.

To get the order correct I always start with CHaSeD order and then pull the heart over to left most position. It's easier for me to remember if I always start in CHaSeD order and then make whatever adjustment is required.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
shaunluttin
View Profile
Elite user
472 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Thank you for all of the feedback. What I like about this effect, is that it has so much to teach.
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
585 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Hi there. Just an idea that I've been toying with recently. The patter involves me over practising a routine with the 4 aces, where they appear together at the end. I've been leaving the aces together in the deck, and after a number of false shuffles and cuts,and showing them still together in the pack, commenting that, whatever I do now, I can't seem to separate the *** things, even if I put them far apart..
Commence ace assembly.
Looks kinda weird written out but its getting there.
K
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2479 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I like that orchid666.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
shaunluttin
View Profile
Elite user
472 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Kneill,

That's a neat presentation idea. It reminds me of Cardini's style. It would be hard, albeit doable and very entertaining, to apply that to an Ace routine, in which the ***ed Aces keep showing up, despite attempts to shuffle them, separate them, and otherwise make them behave as cards were designed to behave: as a vehicle of chance. Often we perform Ace routines as demonstrations of skill; your idea turns that on its head.

Best,
Shaun
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Criticism Please for My Slow Motion Aces (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL