The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Seashells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

007mystic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
63 Posts

Profile of 007mystic
I am wanting to work on a matrix with seashells. Dose anyone do this and where can I find some shells the correct size and all alike? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
The weaver of Illusions
Bill Fischer
View Profile
New user
USA
13 Posts

Profile of Bill Fischer
You may want to try a craft store. Michael's Crafts sells bags of shells - different shapes and sizes. That may be a good start to at least find the shape and size you need.

Doug Henning did a Shell Matrix routine - around 1980 or so. I think it was his 5th TV special. I have a copy of it, if you're interested, let me know and I'll look for more info from it.
Bill Fischer
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Mike Rogers had a routine that he called a Three Shell Game which was essentially a cup and ball routine with some flavor of the shell game. He used what he called Heart Clam Shells that you might find at a coastal shell store. They appeared to be about the size of the palm of your hand.

Dwight
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I am going to give you some homework:

Alan Okawa had a fabulous.....FABULOUS routine using sea shells. It appeared in Apocalypse.

I saw another magician perform the routine and the effect and affect on the audience was stunning...STUNNING.

Find it, practice it, and have a truly memorable piece that will touch the emotions of any audience.

Paul(Do your homework before you watch TV)Green
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
There is also a very good seashell routine in The Collectd Almanac By Richard Kaufman. I want to say the routine is by Okawa also but am not sure..
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is a wizard in Japan whose last name is Sawa. He has some work with shells dating back to the 1970s. There are lots of nice things you can find on the beach, in the shops around the beach.

Sand dollars are also interesting. As are seahorses and starfish etc.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Joel Givens
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Joel Givens
Mike Gallo has a great routine using sea shells in a set of his lecture notes, called "Mike Sells Sea Shells". it is well worth looking at.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Seashells get a lot of attention from the close up guys here in Hawaii, duh.

Allen Okawa's "Wishing Shells" is every bit as good as Paul says. It is one of the few magic tricks that can actually make you seem more attractive to members of the opposite sex. (if that's your particular objective) It appeared in one of the final issues of Richard's Almanac, and should not be sold to minors.

Allen also published an interesting "blendo" shell effect using small and large "puka" shells. old timers will recall the issue of Genii dedicated to Allen back int he 70's.

More recently, Allen has been showing around his effect with a big white rock from the beach. Absolutely unique.

Former Hawaii Magician Marvin Oka was the first person I ever saw do "Chink-a-Chink" with sea shells. Contrary to the Henning handling, Marvyn preferred to have the shells "mouth" down, presenting the smooth side to the performer's hands. (He used polished "Opihi" shells) One advantage of this handling was that it allowed him to start clean, since one of the shells had a, uh, shell.

I've had quite a lot of fun with "Spot, the Wonder Shell" a rather large Cowrie, complete with eyes and a personality, who catches folded-up cards in his mouth.

Most of the shells we use come from the Philipines. I tracked down the supplier used by people who make tourist junk out of shells. Shells are also carried by hobby shops for use as jewelry. These are generally smaller, and better quality than those destined to be ashtrays.

Allen's puka shells and "the Rock" came from the beach. I'm not sure where the little cowires for "wishing shells" came from.

And, as long as we're listing shell routines, don't forget Horace Bennnett's routine with pearls and shells.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
As always a pleasure to read your informative posts Curtis. Thanks!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Terry Miller
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Terry Miller
Does the Okawa routine need an exotic location to work best?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Seashells (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL