The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Books of Wonder Vol 1 & 2 reprint? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
All those scalpers still trying to sell them for $500-$600 and up are gonna be ****ed, they won't even know most likely lol.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Well shootz I started seeing them the other day at PM and today I got the 89 frog skins to get it together. Anyhow I can't wait to read them -- don't know if it's a reprint just glad the words are making they're way to me .
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Next buy will be menomica

glad and sad that there are reprints but thanks from me
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Hope there aren't too many
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Well you should be glad as the material is meant to be read and used, books that go out of print do not do anyone any good except for maybe greedy collectors who want to charge high prices for books that are no longer available or selfishly keep them to themselves. Although I am a collector I am first and foremost a performer. So I am always glad to see books back in print as they were made to be read and used so that the author and their material lives on. I always found it odd also that the OOP/high price thing only seems to happen with magic books mostly, in every other hobby or professional books are dirt cheap even if they are OOP. But it is never a good thing when such great information and work is no longer available, except for those as I said who want to keep them selfishly to themselves. New magicians should have access to the material in order for the art to continue on. Luckily there is so much still available out there though. But I think everything ever written should still be available as that is why it was written, to be read and used.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
waku402
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
2 Posts

Profile of waku402
I preordered the books in penguin last Saturday (23/6/2018),
Penguin state that ETA will be June29,
I think it means Penguin will get the books at the end of June
Today (25/6/2018) I received email form penguin, it said my books are being shipped.
I don't belive, however, I received one more email from Penguin.

That's a video of packing the books for shipping.
I see the staff pack the real books in the parcel.
OMG

I am very happy now, and waiting for my books
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I ordered mine back before I posted this so I was sure I would get them, as I knew they would sell out fast which they did, and now they have more coming in again. Mine were in stock when I ordered so I did not have to pre-order. But I love the packing videos and seeing all those great books going in the box! Smile Smile Smile
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Mine got here a few days ago. The books are great. There is also a lot of practical non magic stuff that is useful for your magic development/performance etc.

The penguin says they will be shipping more on June 29

According to the copyright page on the books I got it was the 5th printing -- if that is of use to anyone
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I don't think I seen the edition on the copyright page so not sure. But I did see "Penguin Magic" in the copyright info and also stamped in the back cover flaps on the bottom. I wonder if these are now exclusive to just Penguin, or if others will get them in? Seems like Penguin had them reprinted.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1112 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Penguin printed them because Penguin purchased Hermetic Press in 2016.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Oh yeah that is right I remember that now.
Tomasio!
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
21 Posts

Profile of Tomasio!
Glad to see they are back in print! Only a shame I got the books just 10 day's before I heard about the reprint(!) Payed double the price but they are worth it. Had I known I would have bought the reprint for $90.

How are the books compared to the first edition? I presume exactly the same.
Looking for Apocalypse vol 3 / The Books of Wonder
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
They look exactly the same, and also said they were made better even with fixed errors and "slippery oversights." Not sure if the old editions said that or not. The only thing I never liked was the fragile covers as it was hard to find them in new condition when sold "used" as they were always damaged. So I am glad to get sealed ones again in great shape and new. But the covers also make them unique as well with the beautiful art work. I could put mylar covers on them but I prefer to keep a book in its original state as I take good care of them, or remove the DJ for prolonged reading sometimes. But the look and feel is the same.
NewtScamander
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of NewtScamander
I have preordered mine today, does anyone know when I should expect them to be shipped? I had a chance to read them already, but I loved them so much that I had to buy a copy!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5375 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2018, NewtScamander wrote:
I have preordered mine today, does anyone know when I should expect them to be shipped? I had a chance to read them already, but I loved them so much that I had to buy a copy!

Interesting. How did you read them?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5375 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Interesting indeed.
I gave these books away to a deserving student when they were selling for several hundred dollars each. Excellent books. I will re acquire them one day.
NewtScamander
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of NewtScamander
The books are still in stock Smile! Mine are already on the way!
A friend of mine owns a copy, he let me read thru them briefly at the magic convention years ago and I loved them! I wanted to get my own for ages (actually since I became interested in magic), they were however not available anywhere (or very expensive on ebay) Smile... So I cant even describe how happy I was when I realized I’ll have a chance to read thru all of them again after all those years, at my own pace.
Yes, I agree, they are excelent Smile! Wow, that is nice of you to give them away like this Smile!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5375 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks Newt. Only very rarely will I sell a book. Eugene Burger influenced me a long time ago in regards to giving books.
Good luck with the new ones my friend.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Books of Wonder Vol 1 & 2 reprint? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL