The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Now Unveiled from Dark Artifice: ORACULUM by Bobby Hasbun (196 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
1894 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, salcioppa wrote:
I understand your concern about turning an item of wonder into a cheap walk around trick. And I even appreciate it.

But however beautiful and ingenious a prop might be, it's still just a tool. We put the "wonder" into our effects!

I guess I wasn't suggesting we perform the Oraculum along with the sponge bunnies, color changing knives, and card to wallet. That's probably what comes to mind when people think of walk around magic. But I don't think people interested in an effect like The Oraculum would ever use in that fashion.

I work at a castle in Ohio, said to be haunted, (although I've never seen evidence of that personally), and I stroll through the quaint, cozy restaurant and beautiful grounds and sit with guests who come to be mystified. As the fireplace crackles, I let them read my Oraculum, do a palm or card reading for someone else at the table while others peruse the book, then later, reveal someone's birth date in a magical fashion as part of another reading.

I do appreciate what you're saying. Believe me, I do. But I don't want anyone to think I'm suggesting mingling the Oraculum with the Professor's Nightmare and color changing scarves. Hmm? Then again maybe I could cast the sponge bunnies and read someone's fortune like that? Now there's a thought! Lol.

Anyway, I wasn't thinking about using the Oraculum along with card and coin tricks, but rather, to entertain small groups of people in a more intimate setting where carrying hard bound books around just isn't practical. And no one I perform to would ever have the foggiest idea that the original Oraculum even exists, so the comparison, or cheapening of the effect, just wouldn't happen as long as the prop they're seeing is well made.

I was more just thinking of making the tool appropriate to the performance. When I'm doing a seance at the castle, I have the luxury of using my Hobbs Box, Doppengangers, Sprit Lamps, Glass, Oraculum, casting board, etc.

But when I'm reading palms or doing quick card readings, table to table at the castle restaurant, entertaining people who want to be enchanted by the spirit world for a few moments, dragging hard bound books and heavy wooden boxes around with me just doesn't work. The performance is no less magical in either instance. But the tools, of necessity, must simply be more portable.

That sounds like a most interesting and fun place you have to work. Is there a link to it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Now Unveiled from Dark Artifice: ORACULUM by Bobby Hasbun (196 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL