The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » This are rich people they don't want to be bothered! - Help please! (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
"What about Steve Cohen, the BILLIONAIRE'S magician, who works/worked in the Waldorf Astoria?"

(=> that's the line btw)
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, Maxyedid wrote:
"What about Steve Cohen, the BILLIONAIRE'S magician, who works/worked in the Waldorf Astoria?"

(=> that's the line btw)

Steve Cohen does't perform in restaurants. He has a regular parlor show at the Waldorf Astoria.
People pay to get to see his show and the seating is limited to a parlor size audience. He's advertised as the millionaires magician.
I don't think anyone would pay to see him and then say they don't want to be bothered.
My daughter wanted to get me tickets to see his show on my birthday.
I would have enjoyed it.
Ihor
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2016, MagicJac wrote:
Wow Ihop impressive story, some people don't enjoy life, the guy that gave david stone that 100 bill seems like one, or may be has the wrong concept that we just want to fool them, who knows. Merry xmas Smile

Or maybe, as others have said, they really didn't want to be disturbed by someone doing tricks at them?

This is not a judgment on Stone as he is known to be a great performer - most people aren't, though.

Most of the magic I see performed is done poorly, by people who lack social skills. If I were at a high end restaurant enjoying a meal with people I like, or doing a business dinner type thing, I would not want a magician to come muck it up. If I wasn't familiar with the performer, I also would have asked them to leave us alone.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Wow didn't realize this was pretty good topic. Once again..rich people are just people. You can be rich outside and poor inside, and poor outside but rich inside.
The smart persons are not defined by money or wealth, or whatever rich means. Just my 2 cents cuz I'm poor! Lol!
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Just be interesting. Rich people like to be entertained as much as anybody. They may prefer a more refined approach but everyone enjoys being astonished. As with everyone, there's a time and place when we're receptive to potential intrusion and it isn't really a judgement or rejection when they don't wish to be disturbed.

Dan.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The rich are different .... they're jerks.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Just move on. If you do a gig for one of the patrons, have them recommend you. I had one high-end restaurant I did one free night to get started and where they could see the reactions. I killed that night, and wasn't hired because the owner didn't think I fit with their clients.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Also, the chef is all about the food. The front-end manager is who you want to talk to. The chef may be offended that people may come to his restaurant for other reasons than him. Chef's egos are even bigger than magicians.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I can understand the owner's perspective.
There's a bad stigma about magicians for obvious reasons. It's our job to make that go away.

When most people hear "magician" they think.. "Awesome. Go and get your clown-nose, your rubber chicken and your trick deck!! I'll round up the kids. They will love you. Here's a couple of bucks. I'll be over there with the other grown-ups so we can continue to enjoy ourselves."

Magicians for decades have been fond of hack lines, unfunny puns, really dumb humor, etc.

All you have to do is to look at the "what are your top 5 cheezy lines" threads at the Café. This is the level of entertainment we consider acceptable.
Restaurant owners don't need to accept it. They can say "NO".

Guys see a few tricks on youtube, buy them from penguin, google a few cheezy lines, next stop to kinkos for business cards and off you to go expensive restaurants for gigs. How uncommon do you think that really is?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2016, Ihop wrote:
I remember seeing an interview with David Stone (a well known French magician)
He told a story explaining how he was doing magic at a high end fine dining restaurant in Europe, It was pretty much all rich people there.
One of the men left his table and approached David and gave him a 100 Euro bill.
Telling him NOT to "bother their table"
They never even saw his performances.

In any case Stone said he was devastated and destroyed his confidence for the rest of the night.

If this can affect an experienced and highly thought of magician like David Stone, It's perfectly understandable why others will feel the same way.

I would have accepted the bill, tear it into pieces, and throw it at the face of that Eurotrash.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I don't see a problem with a table not wanting my entertainment, and if they wanted to give me 100 Euro, I'd be happy. I don't like it when a singer approaches my table when dining, that is not saying the person is a poor entertainer or insulting them in any way, I just don't want it.

That being said, magicians have huge egos, and it hurts when we fall from such lofty hights.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
I don't see a problem with a table not wanting my entertainment, and if they wanted to give me 100 Euro, I'd be happy. I don't like it when a singer approaches my table when dining, that is not saying the person is a poor entertainer or insulting them in any way, I just don't want it.

That being said, magicians have huge egos, and it hurts when we fall from such lofty hights.

That individual behaved like an insensitive boor. What he needs is a dose of his own medicine. Perhaps the next time he is at the dinner table relating one of his stories, somebody should slip him a 100 Euro so that he would shut up.

It isn't known whether it was his decision alone to stop Mr. Stone from approaching his table or the collective decision of the entire group.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
**** Leo, Stone was an employee, like an expensive waitstaff. The guy was paying for an experience, not with Stone. You are the insensitive one.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
**** Leo, Stone was an employee, like an expensive waitstaff. The guy was paying for an experience, not with Stone. You are the insensitive one.

Yes--Stone may have been an employed by the restaurant but that does not mean he is not a human being with feelings--get it KC? Are you sensitive enough to realize that? Or maybe you aren't. Perhaps it is time that French boor began to learn graciousness and tolerance, since he feels he can bribe his way out of it.

Again--someone ought to throw a Euro at his face and tell him to shut up so as not ruin the dining experience for the rest of the patrons at his table.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Leo, I think you are a little off your bubble. The guy gave him 100 Euro, he did not insult him. I'm out of this stupid conversation.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
You don't get it KC. That 100 bribe to keep Stone away from his table WAS an insult.

It slipped your mind that Stone was hurt by that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2017, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
I can understand the owner's perspective.
There's a bad stigma about magicians for obvious reasons. It's our job to make that go away.

When most people hear "magician" they think.. "Awesome. Go and get your clown-nose, your rubber chicken and your trick deck!! I'll round up the kids. They will love you. Here's a couple of bucks. I'll be over there with the other grown-ups so we can continue to enjoy ourselves."

Magicians for decades have been fond of hack lines, unfunny puns, really dumb humor, etc.

All you have to do is to look at the "what are your top 5 cheezy lines" threads at the Café. This is the level of entertainment we consider acceptable.
Restaurant owners don't need to accept it. They can say "NO".

Guys see a few tricks on youtube, buy them from penguin, google a few cheezy lines, next stop to kinkos for business cards and off you to go expensive restaurants for gigs. How uncommon do you think that really is?

Unfortunately this thread really deteriorated pretty quickly, but I wish this point not to be lost. The only part left out was "comes to the Magic Café' for encouragement from people trying to "help" him.

Magicians have had the equivalent of what comics call "laughing ears". What is meant by that is when a comic would come off stage and say "I killed" the ONLY explanation was that they had "laughing ears" because nobody in that audience was laughing.

Magicians convince themselves that they are just great. Then worse yet they come to find others who in the name of brotherhood will tell them they are great. Then, great or not, they inflict themselves on the unsuspecting public. At places that are not so high end with lots of kids on family night you can hide, greatness not withstanding. I know I am going to suffer all sorts of slings and arrows for suggesting that not all performers are created equal. As well for suggesting that perhaps it is the fault of the performer, not so much the owner of an establishment as to why they may not have been used.

Sorry but Frank really hits a nail on the head here.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote: Unfortunately this thread really deteriorated pretty quickly, but I wish this point not to be lost. The only part left out was "comes to the Magic Café' for encouragement from people trying to "help" him.

Deterioration? This thread has raised serious issues about dealing with the wealthy who don't want the tablehopping magician to approach them. There was a discussion on handling a potential bribe from a wealthy patron to keep the magician away. Does the performer quietly accept the bribe or does he in no uncertain terms inform the diner that he has been insulted?

Questions have always been a standard pedagogical tool in classroom learning. The OP has already received his money's worth in food for thought.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2017, Leo H wrote:
You don't get it KC. That 100 bribe to keep Stone away from his table WAS an insult.

It slipped your mind that Stone was hurt by that.

OK Lets try logic
What if the customer asked David to stay clear but not give him any money?
What do we know about the happenings at tat table? Nothing. What if these people were just at a funeral and all they wanted to do was have a meal without being bothered?

Perhaps the customer felt poorly that the table didn’t need David that night a hundred was offered as a consolation? I once sat in a kitchen drinking coffee waiting for the host to tell me the time was here…. Finally she came in and said the mood wasn’t going to support my performance - she told the butler to give me my fee and add and extra three hundred because she felt like I waisted my time…. So I sat and drank coffee for an hour and walked away with 900 dollars.

What if David showed up at a clients house and everyone had the flu (happened to me) so the client paid in full but canceled the show on the spot… How is that in insult?

You have to put yourself in the clients shoes otherwise you are Egocentric.

What if you go to a table and the mother turns to the children and says “ Oh look it’s a magician, watch his tricks very closely” Is that an insult or do you assume that it comes with the territory?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » This are rich people they don't want to be bothered! - Help please! (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL