The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Are Catholic Christians welcome in FCM? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steve Varro
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN.
116 Posts

Profile of Steve Varro
In answer to the question "Are Catholic Christians welcome in the FCM" As the international president, and a member for over 40 years. I would answer that with a resounding YES!

Before I go into more of an explanation, allow me to ask; Would I be allowed to be a member of the Catholic Magicians Guild, or the Morman Magicians Guild, or the Jewish Magicians Guild? If not, it would not be an effort by them to keep ME out, but in a way the result is the same. I also can not join the Miss American Beauty Pagent either. Is that Male Bashing? Of course not. Every organization has rules and requirements. To be a Boy Scout I must be a boy, of a certain age. That is not a statement pointing against girls or younger boys. The just have rules and requirements. I've made choices in my life that will exclude me from being members of various groups, but that is not the fault of the organizations. When it comes to my denominational faith, I made my choices and I will stand up for them. If joining an organization, even the FCM, is more important than my denominational choice, then maybe I need to rethink my beliefs.

The FCM does not try to be the policemen of the magic world. Our statement of faith is not written in opposition to any organization or group. What we have said is that if you can sign our Statement of Faith you can become a member. If you are a Catholic and do not feel comfortable signing the Statement of Faith, we respect that and want you to know that you are still welcome to attend our conventions as a non member. If, as a Catholic you have no trouble signing the Statement of Faith, we welcome you as a member with opened arms. One of my favorite members from the 70s and 80s was Sister Cabrini, a Catholic Nun. If you ask other members from back then, I assure you they would all have wonderful things to say about her.

If you do not feel that you and the FCM, or any other organization, are in agreement, then why on earth would you even want to be a member of such a group? I hope to see you at our international convention in Indianapolis this June. God Bless you all.
STILL In HIS service

Steve Varro

International President of FCM

Owner/Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Elite user
Lafayette, IN
474 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Great insight Steve!

Sister Cabrini came to numerous events and outreaches when I was kid growing up in Minnesota.
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
Steve Varro
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN.
116 Posts

Profile of Steve Varro
I've been thinking about all the comments here and I would like to respectfully ask; What Word of God, other than the Bible, is infallible? or let me ask it another what; What are some other Words of God?

Thank you.
STILL In HIS service

Steve Varro

International President of FCM

Owner/Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1704 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2017, Steve Varro wrote:
I've been thinking about all the comments here and I would like to respectfully ask; What Word of God, other than the Bible, is infallible? or let me ask it another what; What are some other Words of God?

Thank you.

Basically the same question I asked. I'm going to pose the question to various online Catholic sites to see how they respond. I really want to know.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
BCE
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:

Thank you.

What Word of God, other than the Bible, is infallible? Easy answer: All the oral teachings and tradition (both little-"t" tradition and big-"T" Tradition) that preceded the invention of the printing press -- because how would Christian have known the Word of God before the printing press made Bibles available? The FCM Statement of Faith essentially asks Catholic Christians to approve the "sola scriptura" (Bible only) view of faith. Anything that looks like sola scripura, feels like sola scriptura...is problematic for Catholic Christians.

"And we also thank God . . . that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God." (1 Thess. 2:13)
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1704 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2017, BCE wrote:
Quote:

Thank you.

What Word of God, other than the Bible, is infallible? Easy answer: All the oral teachings and tradition (both little-"t" tradition and big-"T" Tradition) that preceded the invention of the printing press -- because how would Christian have known the Word of God before the printing press made Bibles available? The FCM Statement of Faith essentially asks Catholic Christians to approve the "sola scriptura" (Bible only) view of faith. Anything that looks like sola scripura, feels like sola scriptura...is problematic for Catholic Christians.

"And we also thank God . . . that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God." (1 Thess. 2:13)

And what exactly are those oral teachings and tradition that are infallible and inspired outside of the Bible? I surmise that they are now written down and available to read. I can't seem to find anything on this and no one is directing me to a source to read them. I'm not sure it's as easy as you state.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
ChrisMcHugh
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ChrisMcHugh
I'm a little confused by this topic. As a Catholic, who has work in Youth Ministry for eleven years, I see no issue here. We believe the Scripture to be the word of God. Even the quote from the Catechism supports this.

108. Still, the Christian faith is not a "religion of the book." Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word is incarnate and living". If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, "open [our] minds to understand the Scriptures."

I understand this to say that we must live the scripture. The Catholic Church does not teach Papal Infallibility to be the word of God; Although I will be open to correction, my understanding is that Infallibility merely means that if Church doctrine is questioned, the Pope has the final say in the interpretation?

Either way I think Steve Varro has settled this - Catholics are welcome, and you need to make the personal choice if you are comfortable with it.

Chris Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Are Catholic Christians welcome in FCM? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL