We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Product Review from World Magic Shop » » The Wizard Product Review #283 - Rubicon, Raw, Starlight and Rejoined (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20027 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli

On this week's show...

Rubicon by Greg Wilson

Get this by Clicking Here!

RAW by Sébastien Calbry and Jordan Victoria

Starlight by Chris Perrotta

Rejoined by Joăo Miranda Magic and Julio Montoro

---
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2430 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
My review of Rubicon is here .

Dave mentions most of the issues that I point out in my review. I tend too, to agree that occasionally Greg's one handed solve can, at times, look a bit 'mechanical'. I'm also not keen on turning my back to the audience for the final moment of the effect. I have eliminated both of these issues though (in a different way to that suggested by Dave) in the way that people tend to do when finding their own way with props.

The only thing I really didn't agree with Dave on is the idea he suggested of combining this with the Enchanted Cube. I think it would be a mistake. The matching effect in this is very strong.... and the one-handed solve (when done without a mechanical look to it) feels strangely magical to watch and has a magic quality to.... and yet it is really an overt demonstration of seeming impossible manipulative skill. Following this up with the Enchanted Cube, I think, is anticlimactic. Despite the Enchanted Cube being an, 'in the air instant solve', it undoubtedly looks like and is an obvious trick of some kind. Nothing wrong with that of course... but following Rubicon I see this as a backwards step. It effectively undermines the impossible apparent skill you've just demonstrated. It takes something that looks (and is) a genuine solving using manual dexterity into the realm of something not immediately attributable to you for the solution. It's one of those odd occasions where the magic works against the premise that the rest of the routine is built on.

I've used the Enchanted Cube in many settings and on stage or in a larger cabaret environment it gets a fraction of the response it gets when the audience are at arms length. The instant solve needs an audience that is reasonably close so they are right on top of it and register the solve moment without having to look for it. (which is inevitably what happens in a cabaret and stage setting)

In theory the solve of a mixed cube in mid-air should be a better and stronger piece of magic than solving an audience mixed cube with one hand without looking. In some settings I think it is... but in the performance settings that Rubicon is best suited to (Cabaret and stage) I think the Enchanted Cube plays less well.

But each to their own.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
The Paul Harris effect where the imprint of a coin on aluminum foil changes is called "The Shape of Astonishment". It's a great little illusion. (they were trying to remember the name).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Product Review from World Magic Shop » » The Wizard Product Review #283 - Rubicon, Raw, Starlight and Rejoined (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL