The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Taking long time to open any forum page. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
Thanks Doug. Every little bit helps! Unfortunately, we don't have a steady stream of income to spend on upgraded hardware and bandwidth. I'd love to have a separate server just for the database. But everybody has wants, right? Smile
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
5016 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Why not introduce Pledge membership? You pay an annual fee, via PayPal, and you get a special colour username with 'pledge member' in text. It works on other forums I'm a member of. There's no pressure to donate to become a Pledge member but most do anyway.

You could then have a Pledge Member only subforum, where dealers can give discount codes, etc.
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
I'm sure Steve wouldn't want that. It's always been his motto that the Café remain free, and I happen to agree with him.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3575 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Would it help the bandwidth if people didn't quote and requote entire threads from a conversation? I notice some users take up what could have been several posts worth of space requoting instead of just hitting quote and trimming down to the necessary part they are responding to.

Secondly, about PM's. If I delete a rather long string of a PM topic but the other person does not, does my deletion help with bandwidth conservation or is the fact that when they next respond on that PM thread and mine all pops back up a hinderance?

I know overall, it is an eye dropper in a lake but every bit counts in the long run, does it not?

Maybe do a sticky and a mass post describing methods for us to help keep some of the unnecessary bandwidth at bay.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
What you're referring to is data saved in the database, not bandwidth per se. And, no, it wouldn't help all that much. Not now, anyway. Once the Café's database got over 1GB in size it had already started slowing down. It's over 5GB now. What we need is more power, i.e., a separate server just to process database requests.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
5016 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Well, you're doing a great job Gene. We all appreciate your efforts.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Poof Daddy, we already have a section in the rules forum about quoting entire posts but but most members just ignore it. As the mods go through the topics, they try to remove lengthy posts but it's just another function we don't have time to do consistently.

Quote:
Replying to Posts

Don't include the entire length of the original message in your post when you reply to a message. I realize The Magic Café™ offers the 'quote' function when posting, but please take the time to use your delete key and either select the small part that is pertinent to your post or summarize it in your response.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Taking long time to open any forum page. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL