The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Making a living as Hypnotherapist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
I maybe will change some of my life plans. I will do this year also a course for clinical hypnosis. I am already a Psychotherapist.
Is it possible to make a good living with doing "only" classic healing Hypnotherapy? Any experience?..Or do you need the "Show" etc.
I know ... strange question - but I HAD to ask it.
Thanks for any answer!
best
T
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
It depends on where you live. I live in NW London, which is the therapy capital of the UK. There are a LOT of hypnotherapists round here and I just about break even after expenses (insurance, subscriptions, courses etc).

Barry
brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
Thanks Barry...I live in Austria/Tirol
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
You -can- make a great living, if you are a good businessman. This isn't really the forum for getting into the nitty-gritty of it, though.

Jason Linett is a good resource for making a living with hypnotherapy.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
Thanks man!
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Raum
As rightly said - depends on where you live. I live in Russia. There are no good psychotherapists and hypnotherapists only as shamans who show zero results.There is no competition for the person who knows Russian and has a good education.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
Thanks! ; )
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
It's no different than anything else, and that's a double edged sword. Let me explain what I mean by that.

One can make a good business out of nearly any skill, if one is good at both their skill and at business. This is as true of carpentry or hair cutting as it is of teaching dance or tailoring clothes. I've seen some great craftsmen barely eke out a living for themselves, and I've seen people rise to the top of their trades. Is your business skill set as good as your hypnotherapy skills? If so, you will do fine. If you know that your business skill is lacking in some way, don't despair, just put the effort you need into learning about what you need to improve on.

People who say that they can't make a business work because there are too many or too few in their area are often giving themselves an out for some failing of their own. If you are brutally honest with yourself you can identify the areas where you need to improve. Then it's just a matter of finding the right help to grow past those hurdles.

Go for it!
brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
Thanks for your wise and encouraging words, Djin! 😊
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
As a practicing psychologist, I have used hypnosis in therapy since the 1970's but have not marketed myself as a hypnotherapist. Why? Because I found early on that people who are coming for hypnosis with no prior experience with the method are too frequently no-shows for the first session. Also, I wouldn't want to do an exclusively hypnosis practice full-time. It would become quickly uninteresting to me.

There is a practitioner in my city who does just that and for smoking cessation, only. He doesn't have a professional degree, doesn't advertise himself as a therapist or psychologist so he isn't in trouble with the state licensing laws. And he doesn't take insurance. His practice is cash only - $50 a session. He has a full practice (and he gets referrals from us psychologists and psychiatrists who know that he does a good job within his limited sphere of practice).

Decades ago, I worked on a hospital cancer ward where I employed nothing but hypnosis for pain control. But over the years things change, and cancer wards are a thing of the past. Also, insurance companies often won't offer payment for clinical hypnosis unless you present it as another modality, such as mindfulness or relaxation training.
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
Another of our colleagues, Richard Busch, the brilliant mentalist, retired from his career as a musician with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and managed to retread himself as a hypnotherapist in full-time practice. Like everyone else, he started out with word-of-mouth advertising and persevered to build a viable practice. I should note that there is keen competition in Pittsburgh. For some reason, a number of Milton Erickson's colleagues set up practice there. But it didn't discourage Richard. There's always room for one more - mentalist, musician, magician, hypnotherapist, anything - if you're good at what you do!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And if you have Symphony retirement money to live on that helps too.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
Great answers! Very helpful! Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Making a living as Hypnotherapist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL