The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Branching anagrams (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Hi
Does anybody know where I can obtain inexpensive software for generating branching anagrams, or alternatively a tutorial on how to do the same thing In Microsoft Excel?
cheers
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Welcome, Art856! This is the "Our new arrivals" forum, and it's dedicated to introductions from new members. This would be a great place to tell us a bit about yourself and your interest in magic. The "Magic Café" metaphor is a good one, and this particular forum is kind of like stepping in the front door of a restaurant. You wouldn't just yell out a question to the assembled diners. You'd find a place to sit and introduce yourself.

There are plenty of other forums in the Magic Café, including some where people share your area of interest. Scroll down the list of forums a bit and under the section titled "The Attic" you'll find a forum named "Penny for your thoughts." That's probably the right place for your question, but bear in mind that magicians are a secretive bunch, and mentalists perhaps even more so. If you stick around for a while and become a contributing member of the community, you'll eventually get access to other forums where the members may be a bit more forthcoming.

In the meanwhile, you might try the Magic Café's very helpful advanced search function. You'll see the link to it at the top of the page, just to the right of the search bar. Type in "branching anagrams" or "progressive anagrams" and choose the "exact phrase" option. That might help you find what you're looking for. Good luck and happy hunting!

(The amazing Mary Mowder usually handles this kind of reply, but perhaps she's taking a well-deserved night off, so I thought I'd pitch in.)
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome art85y,

I know nothing of these branching anagrams of which you speak.

Tell us about yourself. Are you a Magician?

-Mary Mowder

Doug- I've been under the weather. Thanks for greeting.
Nat_lawson
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Nat_lawson
Art85y,
I personally spent a ton of time looking for a software that made branching anagrams, and then ended up coding my own, but in the end I found out that it works best for me to cut out a bunch of cards and do it like a logic puzzle. That way you can build in different pumps, and ways to narrow down the words. If you just sit down and figure out the puzzle you will find that it isn't as hard as it might seem at first.

-Nat
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Art85y!

Eight days ago, Doug Trouten, who is eminently qualified to explain how the Café "operates", gave you some good advice. I suggest that you scroll up, read his post again, and, introduce yourself.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Dick -- Art85y did indeed introduce himself properly in a different threat, titled "A belted introduction." I think he decided it made sense to just start a different thread, rather than lumping it into a thread titled "Branching anagrams." I've also exchanged a couple of private messages with him.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Good! I, personally, don't care a whit about "branching anagrams", but, just wanted to add one more opinion.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2017, Nat_lawson wrote:
Art85y,
I personally spent a ton of time looking for a software that made branching anagrams, and then ended up coding my own, but in the end I found out that it works best for me to cut out a bunch of cards and do it like a logic puzzle. That way you can build in different pumps, and ways to narrow down the words. If you just sit down and figure out the puzzle you will find that it isn't as hard as it might seem at first.

-Nat

Thanks Nat, all contributions very much appreciated, learning lots here. I can code but right now I want something off-the-shelf to complete the effects I have in mind. One of the apps that Doug pointed me to is perfect.
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Art85y!

Eight days ago, Doug Trouten, who is eminently qualified to explain how the Café "operates", gave you some good advice. I suggest that you scroll up, read his post again, and, introduce yourself.

As Doug said I have now introduced myself. it was within minutes of reading his post and included a sincere apology.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Good! Welcome!

You have now completed the newcomers "ritual" (!!!). heehee

BTW, an ordinary apology would have been sufficient!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Branching anagrams (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL