The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Oldies but goldies (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Ed!

Yes, Walter Gibson, who ghosted the Mark Wilson "CCIM" used a lot of material that can be found in Doc Tarbell's "magnum opus".

Ditto, George Anderson who wrote "Magic Digest". George provided updated PRESENTATIONS, that young magician "wannabees" could use.

Tarbell's PRESENTATIONS, and, PATTER SUGGESTIONS, of course, are/were archaic, by the time that "CCIM" and, "Magic Digest" were published, but, the PRINCIPLES were "there"!

I'm confused by your reference to the popcorn box in "Magic Digest. I checked my copy, and, can't find it. (By "popcorn box, I'm inferring that you are referring to TOMMY WINDSOR'S "POPCORN DYE BOX".) Tommy was a friend, and, he brought out the Dye Box in the late '40s. (IIRC, it was at the old Columbus Ohio "MAGI FEST".) It sold for a dollar, and, Tommy, later, published the "Dye Box Book". I remember trying the "pitch routine" suggested in that book.

I'm not presuming to "argue"! Am I correct in inferring that the popcorn (dye) box is in "Digest"?

Thanks!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
No. My mistake. I used to HAVE the Tommy Windsor Popcorn Dye Box and should have remembered it.

The trick in Tarbell that shows up in Magic Digest is a Popcorn Production Box. You are supposed to have a box of unpopped popcorn, you put a few kernels into a hat (I used a bowl, who wears hats these days?) And the popcorn pops (silently) in the hat.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ah! Thanks much for the quick response!

(It was a "puzzlement"!)

My ancient mind is getting "full"!!!

I'm glad that George didn't add butter to the unpopped kernels!

Tommy Windsor wrote (back then) that he had sold out his stock of dye boxes the first day of the Magi Fest. His wife stayed in their room, making up dye boxes, for the rest of the convention. (Tommy understood about $how bu$ine$$!!!!!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Oldies but goldies (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL