The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » New academic paper on the psychology of magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Wow. Very interesting indeed. Thank you.

Carter
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Thanks, it's a good article with plenty of interesting references and ideas.

I have one comment about their central tenet.

The article states:
Quote:
The factor we have in mind is the intuitive experience of and reasoning about hidden things. It is obvious that the hiding of objects plays a central role in magic. When objects magically materialize, it is mostly because they were kept well-hidden just before, and when they magically disappear, it is mostly because the magician suddenly hides them (Gibson, 1982). What is not so obvious, though, is that the experience of hidden things is much more strongly determined by automatic perceptual and cognitive heuristics beyond our conscious control than we intuitively believe and that these automatic processes constrain our conscious thinking and impede our problem-solving abilities.

I think what's in the last sentence IS obvious, and I've written about part of it here before - although I'm not sure I mentioned it impeding our problem-solving abilities. If our mind isn't automatically making predictions about the world around us, we couldn't realize that something had either appeared or vanished to begin with.

The child psychologist, Piaget, studied babies attention to objects going out of site, and determined that "object persistence" is learned. Productions and vanishes contradict what we "know". Object-tracking is clearly an unconscious process, because we do it effortlessly without thinking. I don't have to be thinking about something to be astonished if I'm looking at it, and it suddenly disappears.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » New academic paper on the psychology of magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL