The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Stiff rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
68 Posts

Profile of hpcman
I would like to make my own stiff rope out of sturdy metal material. Can someone link me to the kind of joints that would work.

Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Using metal in the construction of a stiff rope, I don't believe would work. plus, it might be considered a weapon.

I suggest you spend the $6 to $10 for one and you will understand.

Some have been made out of rubber material and others were made of other kinds of material.

There are no plans for small trick, and we don't expose the manufacture of tricks on the Café.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Best way is to buy one and take it apart. You will be able to experiment with how it works and better understand its benefits and limitations. Metal will probably required a completely re engineered design of the linkages. Keep in mind if your goal is to be able to lift or hold something heavy on the rope, you will have to account for twisting which would force the rope into its collapsed orientation.
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
68 Posts

Profile of hpcman
I thanks you guys for your time in responding. I have owned many of these over the years and I'm aware of how they are constructed. They don't tend to last because they are constructed with cheep plastic and tape inside. The joints could be easily copied in metal pieces. It would be better if each piece nested into each other rather then the current method.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just remembered, there was a different model from Hong Kong or China that was a solid rubber like material. Don't know if still available, came in a colorful small square box.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If you took the time to make the parts like a break away wand, you would spend a lot of time
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
There is a much older version of the "Stiff Rope" that was made with a hollow core rope and a sliding metal knitting needle (with smooth ends). In many ways it is better because the rope can be tightly coiled up at the start, not possible with what passes for a Stiff Rope these days. I worked out a way to extend the part of the rope that stiffens. Perhaps I should write it up for a Wizards' Journal e-Book, if there is interest.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I believe on one of the Fedko tapes John explains in detail how to make one.
Christian Wilde
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Christian Wilde
I saw a video a long time ago explaining how a bike chain inside a hollow rope did the trick. Turned sideways it becomes stiff. I don't know if it is practical, and it might (as Bill mentioned) be considered a weapon.
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
The Mark Wilson text includes instructions on making a stiff rope. I won't go into the details, but it looks fairly quick, easy, and cheap.

HLT
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2017, jimgerrish wrote:
There is a much older version of the "Stiff Rope" that was made with a hollow core rope and a sliding metal knitting needle (with smooth ends). In many ways it is better because the rope can be tightly coiled up at the start, not possible with what passes for a Stiff Rope these days. I worked out a way to extend the part of the rope that stiffens. Perhaps I should write it up for a Wizards' Journal e-Book, if there is interest.

A cheap antenna or any one of the gazillion telescoping whatever... selfie sticks, hot dog roaster, etc would fit the bill nicely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Stiff rope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL