The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Angelo Carbone - The Gift (549 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34..46~47~48 [Next]
wchoo002
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
A Rubik's cube can fit inside the box btw.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2017, Not Steve Brooks wrote:
Hi Tarik:

You are correct - the bow is tied tightly around the box from the beginning, and the deck of cards is never in the box. It's a beautiful presentation. I never liked the idea of opening the box before the big finish - sort of anti-climatic in my view. I love to keep them guessing until the very end - "What's in the box?"

Yes I agree this is the best way to present this regards Tarik 😊
mjanes
View Profile
New user
Gig Harbor, WA
66 Posts

Profile of mjanes
This gorgeous effect has unlimited possibilities. I join many in expressing appreciation to Angelo for sharing this with us. Having performed it only a few times, I find my attention drawn to the importance of not rushing the conclusion. I'm using the torn-paper instructions version.

I introduce the ribbon-tied box as a gift of wonder, which "comes with instructions." The first folded paper rests beneath the bow of the ribbon atop the box.

"....plus a deck of cards. Please follow the instructions."

By the time the spectator is well into arriving at a stopping place while dealing cards, the box is no longer the center of interest. I have found it valuable to milk this moment by calling attention to the unique choice of stopping place in the dealing of cards, and the likelihood that others would have stopped somewhere else. I even ask if they would like to change their minds? ...deal a few more cards?

"...No way I could have know where you would choose to stop. Right?" Etc. And depending on whether the prediction card is already face-up, or not yet exposed, 'more byplay on the fact that it would be impossible for anyone, including them, to have known what card, etc.....

Then comes the open-the-box, and reading of the remaining instructions. I ask them to stop after each instruction in order to allow an emphasis of its impact: "...could have chosen any number..."

I want to continue revising the script and adding some humor, perhaps some notes on parapsychology as Pop Haydn does with his version of Brainwave. The art is in creating the moment, crafting the experience for the spectator. This is a delicious bit of mischief. Thank you, Angelo!
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Mjanes - wonderful! Thank you!
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Here is the Wizard Product Review of The Gift. It's good to see the torn paper routine in its entirety.

https://youtu.be/2bhPUJymnTM
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
The wizard product review video as well as the demo video are the things that made me decide NOT to buy this effect. If I can see a certain something inside of the box on video that I shouldn't see, then I think that it will be spotted easily.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Marvello I know how the trick works 😃 and I looked very hard at the video of the inside of the box and I can't see anything. 😁
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Nothing to see inside ...
Anyway your choice.
A layman see nothing.
I tested it and I really do not know what they would see.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, Angelo Carbone wrote:
Marvello I know how the trick works 😃 and I looked very hard at the video of the inside of the box and I can't see anything. 😁

Ok, well, since you invented the effect I am glad to hear that you know how it works, and maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me then - check the demo vid where the woman opens the box
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Just did again. I still don't see anything. Am sure my eyes are fine or perhaps you have amazing eyesight 😁😁😁

Fyi, the box used in the trailer was a sample and not the finished version.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
Just did again. I still don't see anything. Am sure my eyes are fine or perhaps you have amazing eyesight 😁😁😁

My apologies, my eyes are bad then I guess, and I admit to never having laid hands or eyes on one in person. The Wizard Product review demo is not very good in other ways - the method involving the deck is very obvious, and is an old staple of magic that has been around for decades, but just handled poorly by David Penn. I do like the effect and can think of many uses for this as a utility device. Best of luck.
PWRIS
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of PWRIS
If you are going down the "gift box" route with a ribbon then perhaps having a praline as a "gift" or as a thankyou for your participant? Just a thought.
Paul W. Randall
"Englishman in Germany"
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, Marvello wrote:
Quote:

My apologies, my eyes are bad then I guess, and I admit to never having laid hands or eyes on one in person. The Wizard Product review demo is not very good in other ways - the method involving the deck is very obvious, and is an old staple of magic that has been around for decades, but just handled poorly by David Penn. I do like the effect and can think of many uses for this as a utility device. Best of luck.

Haven't got a clue what your apparently seeing and nothing in any of the vid performances gives anything away or obvious in its workings etc. plus when you say the routine with the cards and the method is very obvious, then very obvious to who - you or you think obvious to the spectator? Because if your referring to the spectator then sorry but imo they won't think it's obvious because they don't know the workings of the deck (as magicians we do) and the exposure of many posts on here about the deck like you do and know.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, PRINCE wrote:
when you say the routine with the cards and the method is very obvious, then very obvious to who - you or you think obvious to the spectator?

I watched the video demo with a non-magic friend and SHE immediately spotted something very obvious when they zoomed in on the cards - You have to admit that David Penn's handling was sloppy at best. Granted, I can see past that fault in the effect, and know how that aspect of the routine looks in the hands of someone who has spent more than a half hour practicing it before doing a sales demo on a youtube video.

As I said, I can see that the box would be a good utility device.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Yeah it's annoying on WPR they picked such a large number

As in close up it was far too much of a '2D' performance

G'ah

Then to give it a lower score than those poker cards, that you need the lights switched off to use - hmm
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, The Duster wrote:
Yeah it's annoying on WPR they picked such a large number

As in close up it was far too much of a '2D' performance

G'ah

Then to give it a lower score than those poker cards, that you need the lights switched off to use - hmm

agreed, with that classic effect it is best just to instruct them to count off as many as they feel they want, don't make them pick a number, if you allow people to just do it on their own without a preconceived number, even if dealing face up they rarely get past 9 or 10. Having them count aloud is a good way to distract them from keeping track of the cards they have seen, also. Wayne obviously knew trhe method so to pick such a high number seems odd.

I also want to add that I think that Angelo is one of the greatest minds in magic today.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, Marvello wrote:

agreed, with that classic effect it is best just to instruct them to count off as many as they feel they want, don't make them pick a number, if you allow people to just do it on their own without a preconceived number, even if dealing face up they rarely get past 9 or 10. Having them count aloud is a good way to distract them from keepimg track of the cards they have seen, also.

Yes, totally agree.
I always ask them to just deal cards until they feel like stopping. If asked to pick a number they may say a high number but they never deal that many, I also think it gives them a feeling of being more fair as well. I think because they get to in essence choose a card more directly as opposed to choosing a number which then corresponds to a card. Choosing a number and then dealing just feels like more of a procedure and less direct.

The other issue with a high number is that it is just dead time and can get boring and the dealing becomes a chore for them. How many times has someone picked a high number and then later said that if they had known what you were going to have them do they would have chosen 5 instead?
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
I bought The Gift for 74.95, not what you call an inexpensive effect. I was severely disappointed in this and here is why. The first 7 minute video goes through some DIY in case your effect does not work as stated. Really! 74.95 and there is a possibility it does not work as advertised? Sure enough it does not work as stated and now I have to do some DIY. It's not hard but for this price I expect the effect to work as advertised, not "oh yea, you may need to do these things as well".
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2017, will4gzus wrote:
I bought The Gift for 74.95, not what you call an inexpensive effect. I was severely disappointed in this and here is why. The first 7 minute video goes through some DIY in case your effect does not work as stated. Really! 74.95 and there is a possibility it does not work as advertised? Sure enough it does not work as stated and now I have to do some DIY. It's not hard but for this price I expect the effect to work as advertised, not "oh yea, you may need to do these things as well".

Totally disgree with this above comment the Gift works perfectly and will last a very long time treated with care as any gift box should be . This video was added by Angelo for some people who needed spoon feeding imho . This is a wonderful effect superbly created and fantastically made . Best wishes Tarik 😊
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2017, Tarik Flash wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2017, will4gzus wrote:

Totally disgree with this above comment the Gift works perfectly and will last a very long time treated with care as any gift box should be . This video was added by Angelo for some people who needed spoon feeding imho . This is a wonderful effect superbly created and fantastically made . Best wishes Tarik 😊

Totally disagree with you! It did not work straight out of the box and I do not need any spoon feeding. For the price the "extra" something for the DIY is not even included, and if you do t have that something extra it's another purchase.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Angelo Carbone - The Gift (549 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34..46~47~48 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL