The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Show us something fresh (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
It's been so long since I was genuinely amazed or impressed by coin magic.
I've seen some cool ideas here and there, but can't recall the last time I watched a coin magic clip that made my day, something that made me want to practice coin magic into the night like in the old days.
I saw Uri Geller doing impromptu spoon bending in a coffee shop about a year ago and it was amazing, that was the last time I genuinely enjoyed magic like a true beginner.
Give me something! I need something FRESH, please!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hiya Daniel, I know what you mean, sometimes you just feel like something new, something to re-charge your batteries. Smile

Well, I got something you might like that I'm coming out with soon... But in the meanwhile, this is pretty darn clever and might be right up your alley...Just came out! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJRIHZ5zTTc
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Wow! That’s nice, Mb! Looks like real magic!

For great contemporary coin material, I would highly recommend Eric Jones and Mb himself.

Check out Marion’s downloads on The Godfather, Vinny Marini’s website at:

http://www.vinnymarini.com/download/
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Reonaru
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
86 Posts

Profile of Reonaru
Wow ... KraziKoins aKrozz ... new a fresh approach of the coin travel ... the Tenkai Pinch make it more clever the "magic moment" ... Bravo Marion !!!
Leonard Rangel

@El.Mentalista

www.LEONARDRANGEL.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
You can always count on Marion for some good magic.

As for the fresh stuff thing--- Smile Why not come up with something? Maybe others will be inspired by your magic.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, thank you guys for the might kind words here...Very humbling and much appreciated. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
ANYTHING that Marion does is very well worth your watching!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, daniel116 wrote:
It's been so long since I was genuinely amazed or impressed by coin magic.
I've seen some cool ideas here and there, but can't recall the last time I watched a coin magic clip that made my day, something that made me want to practice coin magic into the night like in the old days.
I saw Uri Geller doing impromptu spoon bending in a coffee shop about a year ago and it was amazing, that was the last time I genuinely enjoyed magic like a true beginner.
Give me something! I need something FRESH, please!

It's really not important that YOU are amazed or impressed, --by magic with COINS, CARDS, ROPE, SILKS, GOLF BALLS, E T C!

What is important is that the spectator(s) are amazed and/or impressed!!!!!!! --AND, E N T E R T A I N E D !!!

Are you performing for YOURSELF, or THEM??????????

Posters in the Café are always advising another magician to: "HAVE FUN!" The performer's job is to PROVIDE, FUN!

For 60 years, my "advice" has always been: KIS MIF!!! (KEEP IT SIMPLE -- MAKE IT FUN!)
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Sometimes doing something that is already done in a cleaner way and presenting it as a feat of mental powers might be your ticket.

for instance I always liked the karate coin, but thought that present methods were not as clean as I would like . so I came up with a way to end clean with no fishy moves and they can sign the coin as well.

well, the results have been phenomenal. for instance, one fellow keeps mentioning to others at work how I could pass my finger through a coin. so the point I am making is that figuring out how to do an effect in a cleaner way and presenting it as a feat of mental powers, subtly (not going the witch doctor route) seems to really work.

hopefully this gives a thumbs up to not just hiding how an effect is done, but doing that effect in such way that it is so clean that it really looks like magic. so after performing magic for over 35 years, I can say that cleaner is better. and there is no substitute for testing effects too.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:

What is important is that the spectator(s) are amazed and/or impressed!!!!!!! --AND, E N T E R T A I N E D !!!

Are you performing for YOURSELF, or THEM??????????

I don't often disagree with Dick, but here I must -- a bit.

If one drawn to perform magic just to amaze or entertain others are missing out on (or denying) the impact or affect on themselves.
Any conclusion of "So, that is what real magic looks like" must bubble up from the spectator's imagination but cannot exceed that which the performer communicates from within themselves.

Yes, one can give a demonstration of skill, create puzzles and mysterious confusion and be a great entertainer. But, where is the magic in that?

I am old enough to have had people relate to me the "Thirty year memory" of some performance of mine long ago. I am sure Dick has too.
But, the story is never about the trick or props. It is about how the person felt better about who they are because of what I shared with them.

As one old lady mentioned, "I do not remember anything that you did that night, Ken. But to see a fifteen year old kid command the complete attention of 200 adults for an hour -- that is magic."

as to the OP. I agree that too much coin magic (all magic) demonstrations today do lack some essential impact and thrill.

But that may accrue because of the artificiality of the video format. In a live performance one can be infected by the group response,
and your boredom may magically vanish. Yes, it may be difficult to be astonished by a coin effect, but you can imaging how a spectator might perceive it,
and ask self how to present the trick so that the effect will be that of magic and not "he has clever hands."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You certainly can disagree, if you wish! It's a free country.

It seems to me, to be a difference of opinions.

When I exit, the adrenalin is FLOWING. I am exhilarated! HERE COMES THE "BUT"::: But, my FIRST objective is to amaze, and ENTERTAIN the paying customers.

I look at magic performances from the point of view of a professional performer with 70 years of performing experience (20 years as a part time pro'. and 50 years as a full time pro'. I made a LIVING, performing magic. The majority of my work was Lyceum programs, but, I also did corporate functions, I performed in and booked, and promoted, phone promotion shows, a bit of local TV (WGN Chicago) club dates, all over the U.S., etc. I booked and promoted circuses, and was a producing clown in one. I managed a carnival illusion side show. --and, made money! I've worked national magic conventions, and, twice at the Magic Castle, I've lectured all over the USA, and Canada. Jon Racherbaumer "kvetched" me into writing a a book. I never dreamed, at 15, that I would someday write a book that would sell in four continents. --and, I have received many letters from buyers and readers, who have thanked me for telling the story.

For the first several years, as a teenager, I did a "look how clever I am! --I can fool you! act". Then, I realized that I should ENTERTAIN them, as well as FOOL them. I learned to FOOL THEM WITHOUT MAKING FOOLS OF THEM, and I was NEVER AT LIBERTY.

I'm not implying that you make fools of them, but, I did want to clarify my viewpoint and position.

I traveled coast to coast and border to border, so I very seldom had people walk up and, tell me that they remembered me from 30 years ago! --I do recall it happening in my home town, just a few years ago, when I did a club date for an elderly group's banquet. A man of about 70-75 years of age, walked up and said, "I remember seeing you when we both were in high school! --and, it's STILL FUN!'

I tell several stories in my book about a "magician" (a local amateur, note: " " )walking up after a show, and telling me: "I only do BIG TRICKS". I replied: "Oh! You haven't learned how to do LITTLE TRICKS, YET!".

Over the past 50 years, I've had the honor and privilege of mentoring some very fine young men in magic. A number of them are now full time successful professional performers, Several of them were "extra" successful. --You may remember the late Bob McAllister, who had two very successful syndicated TV shows, and, the late Doug Henning who had several New York Legitimate Theater shows. Tom Mullica, did "OK" in Atlanta, too! Others are working club dates all over the USA. I have their "thank you letters", so I know how my mentoring and performing, affected their thinking.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S, I meant what I said in my first post, above!

JNeal and I have been discussing the current trend, in magic, and, we are in agreement.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You know, Dick, that I have nothing but appreciation for the life's work you have done and the number of magicians you have inspired.

That is why I said, "a bit." I do not know if I had the right mentors or the wrong ones back in the late 50's. I add you to that list.

Everything you say is correct for the person trying to make a living out of the mystical arts.

Yet, I feel the performance and day is not complete until the lights are out any you lie in bed asking two questions:

What did I learn from this interaction with others that will make me a better performer/entertainer tomorrow?

What did I learn from this experience that will make of me a better person tomorrow?

I keep watching the "new stuff" and asking "OK, great - where is the magic?" Not just opinion, a matter perspective.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I think the OP is just asking for a trick that will entertain him. Magic,coin magic especially, can get pretty boring because there aren't enough truly new ideas. This doesn't matter to a spectator because they rarely see any magic in the first place. Any magic is new magic. But magicians like magic too and wev'e seen all the standards. Here's something pretty cool that got posted a few weeks ago:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Db-KeNXrQE0
Reality is a real killjoy.
jefkve
View Profile
New user
Orange County, CA
52 Posts

Profile of jefkve
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2017, ZachDavenport wrote:
Here's something pretty cool that got posted a few weeks ago:

Wow, very nice. Need to watch that one a few more times =)
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I know, I watched it several times when I first saw it. Just to clarify, that isn't me. Don't want to steal credit.
Reality is a real killjoy.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, Mb217 wrote:
Hiya Daniel, I know what you mean, sometimes you just feel like something new, something to re-charge your batteries. Smile

Well, I got something you might like that I'm coming out with soon... But in the meanwhile, this is pretty darn clever and might be right up your alley...Just came out! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJRIHZ5zTTc

I BOUGHT THIS AND THIS IS A BLOW AWAY ROUTINE! I cannot recommend anything this year better! SO visual and direct. The tweezers are the "magic wand" here but it MAKES SENSE to be holding these. I bought some black plastic tweezers on Amazon and that reduced the taking and helps save my coins from scratches. Highly recommend this!!!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2017, ZachDavenport wrote:
I think the OP is just asking for a trick that will entertain him. Magic,coin magic especially, can get pretty boring because there aren't enough truly new ideas. This doesn't matter to a spectator because they rarely see any magic in the first place. Any magic is new magic. But magicians like magic too and wev'e seen all the standards. Here's something pretty cool that got posted a few weeks ago:

;)
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Outstanding magic - thank you for posting that Dollarbill!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Show us something fresh (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL