The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Tricks you saw demonstrated in the flesh but now sit in the magic drawer (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
On 'Latest and Greatest' it is very common for magicians to complain (rightly) about tricks that have disappointed following an online video demo - e.g. because of the way the performance is cut, the angles used, the video resolution etc etc

But what about items that you saw demonstrated in real life - say at a dealer's table - where you saw it with your own eyes (and so you can't complain about video cuts, resolution, angles etc) but it now sits in the magic drawer?

What fits that bill for you and why? Were there are items you never even tried to learn after unpacking? - yet you saw it and were impressed enough to part with your money!

(with the Blackpool Convention starting there will be a lot of items bought on the basis of live demonstrations).
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Drtriage ~

What are some things you've seen demonstrated in the flesh but now sit in the magic drawer?
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2017, Magic from A to Z wrote:
Drtriage ~

What are some things you've seen demonstrated in the flesh but now sit in the magic drawer?

Sorry, I should have given an example to kick things off.

The most immediate one that springs to mind is Spreadwave by Mathieu Bich - perhaps it is just laziness but having watched the DVD (or a good part of it), I have never got round to spending the item to learn and perform it. It is sitting beside me as I type urging me to give it a go!! (On 2 occasions at Blackpool I have seen it demonstrated - I bought it the first time and swore I'd learn it the second time but haven't yet - I think there is some interesting psychology with things we never use).

(I'll have to rake around my drawers and cupboards for other things in the category - I know I have a Jay Sankey one involving a matchbox)
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Over 150 views of this topic and no-pne else has admitted to buying drawer fodder that they saw demonstrated in person?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Because this is the wrong forum to ask such a question. Smile
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
Yes, I agree. Spreadwave is an amazing trick, but it remains at the bottom of my drawer.
When it fooled Penn and Teller, I realised I should give it another go.
Still haven't looked at it. Perhaps my loss.

The Cooler was an impractical deck-switch. Hyped up by Paul Wilson. Plastic junk that never worked smoothly.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I think people don't like to admit they've parted with money for magic items they saw demonstrated, but never used.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
What a great question. I havent been to a magic convention, but I can only imagine how much more powerful the desire would be to 'buy' on the spot after seeing a live demo.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2017, rjs wrote:

The Cooler was an impractical deck-switch. Hyped up by Paul Wilson. Plastic junk that never worked smoothly.

In other words you didn't put in any practise on it and assumed it to be self working. Funny that this particular "plastic piece of junk" is used by many of the top cardmen in the world. But I understand your feeling since I had one years and just last month started to feel comfortable on using it.

Two things I bought after seeing em demoed live and didn't end up using are David Stone misdirection deck and Chatelains rewind. Misdirection deck I did maybe 5-10 times in my show but I rarely got any reaction. Maybe people missed the effect. Rewind is clever and workable but I just don't have spot on my show for it

J-M
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I can't think of anything that I've seen demonstrated in the flesh that I've purchased and not used as it's not as misleading as a trailer for an effect.
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, warren wrote:
I can't think of anything that I've seen demonstrated in the flesh that I've purchased and not used as it's not as misleading as a trailer for an effect.

Well done - perhaps I am in more of a minority than I thought.
websmith2000
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of websmith2000
Guess I fall into that minority. An example for me - Chop cup. Really enjoyed some live performances but have never gotten around to learning it and figuring out a presentation that works for me.
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
"In other words you didn't put in any practise on it and assumed it to be self working. Funny that this particular "plastic piece of junk" is used by many of the top cardmen in the world. But I understand your feeling since I had one years and just last month started to feel comfortable on using it".

J-M

No, I didn't expect the Cooler to be self-working, but I did expect it to work.

I would be surprised to learn that top cardmen are using the Cooler. I did see Jason England demo it a few years back. And Paul Wilson raved about it when it was first released.
But I think it would be more sensible for us mortals to sample the methods in Giobbi's book rather than rely on mechanical contrivances which can go wrong.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I have a lot of stuff in my junk drawer. I have so much I can't name any of it. I don't want to get up and go look. It's in the junk drawer I don't want to be reminded of it. haha
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, John C wrote:
I have a lot of stuff in my junk drawer. I have so much I can't name any of it. I don't want to get up and go look. It's in the junk drawer I don't want to be reminded of it. haha

LOL, this made me laugh
One I am struggling with now is Cosmos Duo...saw it performed perfectly by Brent Braun at Magic Expo but I am really kind of struggling with it; I have terrible memory, and it seems to have a LOT of little things to memorize dependent on how the cards fall...it has not quite hit the drawer yet because I really like it, so I continue to try to get it down. Spreadwave is one in the drawer for me, as well.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, Drtriage wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, warren wrote:

Well done - perhaps I am in more of a minority than I thought.

I'm not saying I haven't bought my share of junk in my time but as I've said I can't remember buying something that I've actually seen demed in the flesh that I didn't use at least for a while until something else caught my eye.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Every one of us has a junk drawer
Be honest we've all bought tricks that have not either lived
up to the hype or are not practical for us
Spread wave is agreat example it's in my drawer too
Great trick but not easy to do without hours of practice
and a great memory
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Yes, we all have accumulated plenty 'junk' but what about things you actually saw demonstrated (so can't blame ad copy, video etc).
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Glad this got moved where it belongs.
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Glad this got moved where it belongs.

Pleased that you're glad, now it is in the right place.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Tricks you saw demonstrated in the flesh but now sit in the magic drawer (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL