The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Customer Trying to Low-ball/Haggle the price down? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I want to thank everyone here who contributed.
I've read all your comments, some of them funny and some educational, and I've learned from you.

Mindpro, you wrote, "...when performers think they need...a "marketing course" when they don't have the other components properly in place."
Just to be sure I'm clear on what you meant,
do you mean that
it is common for a performer to think that he/she need more prospects interested in performers' show,
when actually the performer has a large enough pool of prospects already and he is driving them away through lack of good salesmanship?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I had one person shocked by my quote who said "I wouldn't pay that much for Jesus".

I further shocked her by saying "well to be fair Jesus only has about 5 tricks, and one is a 3 day build to the payoff."

For those of you still wondering, no I didn't get the job.

LOL!!

I'm left wondering how much she would pay for Jesus.

She is the one who started the irreverence, so I see no problem with your cheek.

-Mary Mowder
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, Brainbu$ter wrote:
Mindpro, you wrote, "...when performers think they need...a "marketing course" when they don't have the other components properly in place."
Just to be sure I'm clear on what you meant,
do you mean that
it is common for a performer to think that he/she need more prospects interested in performers' show,
when actually the performer has a large enough pool of prospects already and he is driving them away through lack of good salesmanship?

Kind of, but not exactly. Many performers mistakenly believe once their show is ready (or what they believe to be ready) all they need to do is start getting bookings. Their next thought is how do I get bookings? Well I need to market. This is the typical "default" setting to most performers.

In reality what they truly need is not marketing, but rather a business operational system (that comes between the show and beginning to start marketing) to be able to properly and more effectively offer, present and sell their performing services. Without this, they will likely have no positioning, no value and no specific plans or approach to what happens when they do get leads, interest or inquiries.

As a brief example, let's say following the default approach you somehow get 50 leads (we won't even mention how or the cost of getting the leads, the efforts and expense you might have gone to get the leads, etc.) you have no system in place, you simply send out the typical email response and hope they bite. Lets say your responses and simply answer their questions and tell them a few things about you and your performance. Let's say just to give you the benefit of the doubt you end end up converting 5 of those leads to bookings. You have a close ratio of 10%. The other 90% you didn't get, so you rinse and repeat. You keep "marketing" to try to get another 50 leads hoping fr another 5 bookings and continue to do this over and over. This becomes your plan and approach. You are simply responding without rhyme or reason telling them the answer to their typical questions (which actually lets them have control in the exchange, which is almost always "how much do you charge" and a few key things about your performance. That's it. That is the extent of it.

By learning, creating and having a business operational system for your specific business, your specific markets and target customer, you create control of the situation much more to your benefit and advantage, you create your value and perceived value in the process, you create positioning, and when done properly, price only becomes one of the factors of consideration, hopefully 3rd or 4th in importance. The benefits from this is you focus on a higher booking/closing ratio at your desired price and value. So then from the initial 50 leads your efforts generate, lets say you start closing 30, 40, 50 60% or more due to having greater control from all of the proper components and presentation/selling process in place. Your RIO is much higher and ultimately you don't need anywhere near as many leads to fill your schedule. It is much more than just "salesmanship" though.

Then there are other components as well that focus on all 5 types of bookings to allow for a pre-determined greater return from all bookings (also you you can market less, while still getting more bookings). There are many, many more benefits to having such a proper system in place as well, but hopefully you get my point.

This is a quick overview just to better clarify for you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, Mary Mowder wrote:
Quote:
I had one person shocked by my quote who said "I wouldn't pay that much for Jesus".

I further shocked her by saying "well to be fair Jesus only has about 5 tricks, and one is a 3 day build to the payoff."

LOL!!

I'm left wondering how much she would pay for Jesus.

She is the one who started the irreverence, so I see no problem with your cheek.

-Mary Mowder

She did and thank you.

My problem is I choose to operate almost without a filter. Life is just too short.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Mindpro,

How do YOU define marketing? I'm sometimes confused as to how you use the term, as it often seems to me that the other business processes you speak of fall under the definition of "marketing".

The Business Dictionary partly defines marketing in the following manner...

"Marketing is based on thinking about the business in terms of customer needs and their satisfaction. Marketing differs from selling because (in the words of Harvard Business School's retired professor of marketing Theodore C. Levitt) 'Selling concerns itself with the tricks and techniques of getting people to exchange their cash for your product. It is not concerned with the values that the exchange is all about. And it does not, as marketing invariable does, view the entire business process as consisting of a tightly integrated effort to discover, create, arouse and satisfy customer needs.' In other words, marketing has less to do with getting customers to pay for your product as it does developing a demand for that product and fulfilling the customer's needs."

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/marketing.html

I look forward to your response.

Lou Serrano
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:

Yeah, but it was worth hearing the great line. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My problem is I always think it is worth that!

It is a large part of what people can't understand online with me. I tend to say things flippantly. No malice, no anger just if it is funny I say or write it.

Problem is online way too many CHOOSE to see it as anger instead of what it really is. Just some goof with no filter being flippant. Nothing more. Then they carry grudges for YEARS! Imagine being angry for so long about something some goofball said years ago! It boggles the mind.

Sorry for being off topic. In short don't be angry with things I say. They are pretty meaningless.

Yes Keith I agree. Lol.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, lou serrano wrote:
Mindpro,

How do YOU define marketing? I'm sometimes confused as to how you use the term, as it often seems to me that the other business processes you speak of fall under the definition of "marketing".

The Business Dictionary partly defines marketing in the following manner...

"Marketing is based on thinking about the business in terms of customer needs and their satisfaction. Marketing differs from selling because (in the words of Harvard Business School's retired professor of marketing Theodore C. Levitt) 'Selling concerns itself with the tricks and techniques of getting people to exchange their cash for your product. It is not concerned with the values that the exchange is all about. And it does not, as marketing invariable does, view the entire business process as consisting of a tightly integrated effort to discover, create, arouse and satisfy customer needs.' In other words, marketing has less to do with getting customers to pay for your product as it does developing a demand for that product and fulfilling the customer's needs."

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/marketing.html

I look forward to your response.

Lou Serrano

Sure Lou, I really don’t prefer to get caught up in definitions as I feel my posts have established what I consider marketing, but as it pertains to conversations here, for simplicity it is taking your service to market, to attempt to generate interest and leads though specific methods. I prefer to refer to it as what I have found most performers perceive it as (whether it is my actual definition of it or not), in basic terms for the purpose of this area - an attempt to put yourself out in the marketplace in an effort to get bookings (business).

In reality there is and can be multiple layers to it, but when I use the term generally here it is of this basic definition.

I have also said explicitly that buying, selling and of course marketing entertainment business is different from conventional or typical business. I truly believe this and have proven this over and over again for years. So many of the standard definitions offered by general business can be accepted, but I view it more as it pertains specifically to our industry, entertainment.

I also choose not to get hung up on others definitions or outside (our industry’s) definitions. Yes, in many ways they can be the same or similar such as the opening definition in the link you provided:

“The management process through which goods and services move from concept to the customer.” That too is an generic overview definition.

I consider the 4 P’s as something that should be determined and in place BEFORE you begin the physical efforts of marketing or taking your service to market. They are part of the strategic operational process that should lead up to the act or action of marketing.

I also believe advertising, marketing and promotion are three different and separate things.

I believe when most performers state they are interested in or purchase a “marketing” book, program or resource, they are doing so with an interest in learning methods of which to market. Few have a structured and intentional, predetermined actual marketing plan and budget. It is more about interest in methods and techniques, hence all the regular reference to Gigmasters, direct mail, emailers, post cards, letters, SEO, pay-per-click, adwords, facebook and so on - methods and techniques are what many are seeking when most tend to refer to “marketing.”

You and I both know marketing is really much more than just the means (methods and techniques) as it is and should be a very detailed and specific process created specifically for their individual business, markets, price points and many other pre-determiend elements and considerations.

As you state “as it often seems to me that the other business processes you speak of fall under the definition of "marketing". It may to you, and this may be your belief and from what I’ve heard is how you approach your program, but I still believe, based on my 30 years of working with other performers and their specific perceptions, interests and questions, this is not how most tend to think of or see “marketing.” Generally its more on the what than the how, when or why.

I hope that answers your question.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Mindpro,

Thanks for your response. It helps me understand your posts a bit better. Much appreciated.

Lou
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't understand his posts at all!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
The way I interpret Mindpro's post is: If you wish to create a business selling hamburgers, first you must recognize you are in the restaurant business (or real estate business as McDonalds found out), then you have to land on what market your product will serve. Five Guys and McDonalds are different market, hence differing business models will be necessary for success. While they are two examples, in reality there are hundreds of differing models of restaurants that serve burgers. To begin marketing plans before establishing the business model and market one serves is premature. Five Guys investing in a marketing course on how to optimize a dollar menu offering is an example of misaligned investment and efforts.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
You said...

"To be honest, I really need this booking and would take it for $350."

This is what the "supply" side of "supply and demand" is!
It is the price that you are willing to work for.

Take the gig at $350 and move forward.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
What you described is not a "Customer trying to Low-Ball" - It's a customer who got confused because you confused them (you named $300, and $400 in the body of the email and then put $350 in the bid.)

Give them your all for $350.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, thomasR wrote:
What you described is not a "Customer trying to Low-Ball" - It's a customer who got confused because you confused them (you named $300, and $400 in the body of the email and then put $350 in the bid.)

Give them your all for $350.

Yes, exactly right. The parlor show went extremely well, and moreover, though we agreed on $300,
I performed much longer than we agreed for (I tend to do that as I enjoy performing)
and the customer tipped me, so in the end I got $340.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Sounds like a perfect outcome then! Smile
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2017, Brainbu$ter wrote:
How do I tactfully remind the customer that my price is $400?

I would apologize, put the blame on my lack of communication skills and inform him the correct fee for what he is choosing is $400.

Glad it worked out for you.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
joshuaweidner
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
15 Posts

Profile of joshuaweidner
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, Brainbu$ter wrote:
I just noticed something that may explain the odd price misunderstanding.
For all its merits, there is an unfortunate constraint in this website
where the performer must enter a dollar figure into the box along with his quote message.

I had made an error and put in that box $350,
but the quote message I then wrote attached to that figure
was a description of the three packages and their prices (none of them $350).

So this entire issue was because of my error.

I'm late to the party here but I just wanted to let you know that GigMasters will let you put a "0" in that quote field and then update it later. That is what I do with all my quotes. When I end up getting booked, I submit an updated quote. It works like a dream. I hope this helps out going forward.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Brainbu$ter wrote:
The parlor show went extremely well, and moreover, though we agreed on $300,
I performed much longer than we agreed for (I tend to do that as I enjoy performing)
and the customer tipped me, so in the end I got $340.

Wonderful to hear that it worked out in the end! It also opened the door for some productive conversation and advice.

Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, joshuaweidner wrote
GigMasters will let you put a "0" in that quote field and then update it later. That is what I do with all my quotes. When I end up getting booked, I submit an updated quote. It works like a dream. I hope this helps out going forward.

That's intriguing! The potential clients don't get confused by your original quote of "$0," I imagine that you must explain that to them as part of your response?
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm glad you have found that this seems to work for you. However, based on GM own information, they (and I) have found that most bids that include "0" in the price field are mostly immediately discarded. I believe the number I remember reading from a GM tutorial article was over 65% if I'm not mistaken.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
...they (and I) have found that most bids that include "0" in the price field are mostly immediately discarded.
I believe the number I remember reading from a GM tutorial article was over 65% if I'm not mistaken.

How does 65% compare with the other quotes?

I'd be willing to bet that most bids...period...are immediately discarded.

Customers receive a barrage of 10 quotes at a time. Wouldn't surprise me if 85% of all quotes are immediately discarded,
which would make a 65% discarded rate look good.

This is speculation, but my point is that I cannot tell whether 65% is a good or bad number,
since I don't know what I'm comparing it to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Customer Trying to Low-ball/Haggle the price down? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL