The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chinese Tweezers by Mario Lopez (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I searched and searched and couldn't find any thread on this.

Here is a link:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8054#reviews

Does anyone have this?

I would be interested in your thoughts, but I also have a PM question for someone who has this.

Thanks.

KJ
Tom Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
England
291 Posts

Profile of Tom Wong
I have this if you want to shoot me a PM.
Mentalistry | Providing quality products to Mentalists across the globe
www.mentalistry.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
There was a thread, but it got deleted. A second thread was started, but checking, it looks like that was deleted, too.
I don't know why the mods feel they need to delete the entire thread, rather than the bothersome post or two. Though that's odd as well, nothing significant was discussed. Smile
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Is it good??
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
From the old deleted threads, it is all sleight of hand, it takes practice to look like the video. There is no gimmicks used.

Most believe it is over priced because you get only some coins, a purse and tweezers.
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
From the old deleted threads, it is all sleight of hand, it takes practice to look like the video. There is no gimmicks used.

Most believe it is over priced because you get only some coins, a purse and tweezers.

thank you this help me a lot
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
There is a self working set available that does use gimmicks, but cannot remember who posted the link to the site where it is for sale.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
* no purse is included

Chinese Tweezers
Creator: Mario Lopez
Publisher: Tango Magic
MSRP: $ 50
Skill Level: intermediate to advanced
DVD Run time: 12 minutes

Type of effect: Classic Chinese tweezers routine

Manufacturer's Write Up: Mario Lopez is one of the recent big surprises of the world of magic. He won the second prize in Micro Magic at the most recent FISM -- his magic is original, simple, different, and fresh.

Imagine poking a pair of tweezers down through the small hole in the center of a Chinese coin, and upon pulling the tweezers back up through the hole, a large Eisenhower Dollar appears on the tip of the tweezers. Amazingly visual!! The effect can be repeated numerous times with the same audience, becoming more magical each time! This looks incredible! There are other ways to make the dollar appear - your imagination is the limit!

Now you can perform this beautiful and incredible magical routine. See what all the excitement is about!

How accurate is the ad copy? No deception.

What's in the box? The set includes all the necessities: coins, tweezers, and a link with video instructions in both English and Spanish. The link also gives you access to 50 more coin effects

Key points: Chinese Tweezers is one of his creations, the kind of magic that can only come from a brilliant mind.

How are the production values: The entire video is shot very dimly lit. Everything blends together and there are no close up shots, which I would have liked for a coin routine.

Is it well made: Everything is 100% real, but I would have appreciated better quality tweezers at this price point.

Is it well taught: I didn’t think the video was long enough and Mario has a heavy accent.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" It all packs in your pocket.

Does it "play big?" It’s a beautiful routine if you can perform it like this FISM winner

Difficulty / Skill level required: This is sleight-heavy and palming heavy

How much arts and crafts are involved? None

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) This is best as a table hopping routine.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
__X___ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts: I was really hoping for gimmicks at this price point. I’m not a coin magician, so I don’t think I have the time or skill to sit and learn this routine.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz5HVJZqt50
teetacat
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of teetacat
Does anyone know the name of the song and singer in the Chinese Tweezers demo?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Sounds like a cover of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysuB0zybqeQ, though I'm not sure of the singer. You may know it from the English version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUVT1NZtZPo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz%C3%A1......z%C3%A1s
teetacat
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of teetacat
Thanks for the title of the song. I now believe it's sung by Gaby Moreno. Great effect. Great video. Great song.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
I seem to recall that this was available in a cheaper, instructions-only, Spanish-language format. If anyone has any information about retailers selling the version I'm describing please let me know!
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, Shikina wrote:
I seem to recall that this was available in a cheaper, instructions-only, Spanish-language format. If anyone has any information about retailers selling the version I'm describing please let me know!

if we do that, the thread will probably be deleted again, again, again............
4th time lucky.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, catweazle wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, Shikina wrote:

if we do that, the thread will probably be deleted again, again, again............
4th time lucky.

At the risk of tempting the fates you allude to, why would my question and its answer pose a violation of Café rules? The site I was looking for is operated by a respected magician that doesn't deal in fakes forgeries, etc. Is it our understanding that the Café is trying to shield consumers from legal purchases?
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
I would say, based on the evidence that its more a case of favouring those that advertise here, nothing was said in the other threads that is any different to the review above....
apart from providing a link to said download only option.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
I'll admit that I've been disappointed in the past with some of the rules that the Café enforces, but this would be a horse of a different color if they were literally to favor advertisers to the extent that they prevented consumers from learning about other legal options for purchase. Call me naive, but I'm going to believe that the Café does not actually enforce that kind of a magicians-hurting-magicians rule.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have this now, and all I can say is a variation of this is now in my act.

KJ
startingout
View Profile
New user
UK
29 Posts

Profile of startingout
This looks so visual, as every thing one would work as long as takes to make looks as good as in demo. But could 1/2 dollars be used, then go into another coin routine?
Thanks
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Yes, absolutely. As said before, none of the coins have any special properties, so you could use your own if you had them.
The only thing you'd want to make sure is that the tweezers can fit inside the hole of the coin, if you're gong to be using half-dollar-sized Chinese coins, too.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Half dollars don’t look nearly as magical as the Ike dollar coins. I know because I've tried both! For coin workers there isn't anything here that you can't easily do. For people who don’t usually work with coins, it will take a longer time and more practice to get this down, but if you are used to performing magic sleights of any kind it isn't going to be that difficult to learn.

I just received this a week ago and it looks great most of the time, but there are still some times when it doesn’t. So I estimate another month or two before I feel very comfortable with it - as long as I practice it every day for an hour or two.

O(h, and I agree that the tweezers are pretty cheap ones, but tweezers are cheap so I don’t mind spending a few bucks to get a better pair.

Thanks!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chinese Tweezers by Mario Lopez (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL