The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Recommendations for 3 1/2 Spades (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Russ182
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Russ182
Hi, Any suggestions on who has the best 3 1/2 Spades presentation ?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The 3 1/2 of Spades is a comedy prop. It was the "punch line" for MIKO, a FUN card bit, originated by Mike Kort (Detroit) in the mid to late '40s. (50 cents, then) It can't be much more than that, now. Why not buy it, and, get the original gag.

Later, a 14 of Diamonds, still later, a 15 of Spades was produced.

The "Tree of Hearts" (a "tree" covered with "hearts") was produced.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Place it face down in their hand. Force the 7 of clubs and tell them that you predicted that the card they ar holding is exactly half the card they chose.

Patrick
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I contributed "Miko #4" to Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse and it appears I the January 1995 issue on page 2457.

No gimmicked cards are needed.

Instead of the answer being 3 1/2 the answer is 4 1/4 and you display a 4 of clubs and under the card appears a coin - a quarter!
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I normally use it as a return piece when I go back to a group and they want to see more.

I use a pretty standard routine similar to what Magic Patrick said above. I preload the gaff card into the deck before the start, look through the deck, saying I'm going to remove a prediction in the process of culling the 7 of clubs to the top. I then put the 3 1/2 card in my breast pocket whilst I shuffle the 7 of clubs to the bottom in readiness for a h***u force.

Force the card, say that obviously the card in my pocket isn't their card but that it does tell me about their card and then explain how its the same colour but half the value. I give a few examples that a 10 of hearts would be a 5, a 4 would be a 2 etc. I then ask them to take their card, divide it in 2 and what do they get. Normally they look confused (especially since everyone else has seen the card) after which they say 3 and a half (or sometimes 3.5) I act surprised and repeat the whole card back to them "So 3 and a half of clubs? Now that would be a great trick! wait a second though.." and I slowly turn the card over showing them.

I used to use a jumbo card prediction in my pocket but it's much easier to keep the normal size gaff in my packet trick wallet along with blank facers/whatever packet trick I'm doing at the time.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Good stuff guys! Gonna start using the card now. Thanks.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1340 Posts

Profile of imgic
I used to take a deck out of the box with 7 on top and 3 underneath. Had a half dollar secretly under the deck box. As it came out half dollar would be in my palm hidden by the deck. . F*rce the 7, put down the three with half underneath. A little patter about predicting half the card. They show their seven, and you reveal the "3 and a half." Then you can go into a coin routine...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Check out Cody Fisher
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I Knew It All the Time
Paul (Shameless self promotion) Green
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
I second "I Knew it All the Time". Simple routine that gets a great reaction. I've been using it for years. Thanks Paul!
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Thank you!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
The 3 1/2 of Spades is a comedy prop. It was the "punch line" for MIKO, a FUN card bit, originated by Mike Kort (Detroit) in the mid to late '40s. (50 cents, then) It can't be much more than that, now. Why not buy it, and, get the original gag.

Later, a 14 of Diamonds, still later, a 15 of Spades was produced.

The "Tree of Hearts" (a "tree" covered with "hearts") was produced.

Milt Kort. Probably a typo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Recommendations for 3 1/2 Spades (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL