The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Looking for a story force similar to Copperfields with only 7 options (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SlipperySnake
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
I'm looking for a force similar to David Copperfield's "Magic at home" Orient Express effect where he had viewers touch the screen and move left/right or up/down a specific number of times (removing cards as they go) until landing upon one. I know there is a name for this particular type of effect but the name escapes me. I want to know if there was a way to do something similar with only 7 cards instead of 9? Anybody know where I would start in trying to find some information if this is possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1WTRkTjcA
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
213 Posts

Profile of murf
You might want to start with Thomas Henry's wonderful book Hidden Numerical Forces. As I recall, what you're looking for is called a parity force.

Murf
Mystic_master
View Profile
New user
Baltimore Md
9 Posts

Profile of Mystic_master
The exact forces and info you really want..... Jim Steinmyers Impuzzabilitys and further imprzabilitys.

http://dennymagic.com/store/catalogsearc......s+Series Smile Smile
SlipperySnake
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Thank you both for responding! Do you know if either have something done with exactly 7 cards/options?
hcs
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
243 Posts

Profile of hcs
Yes I did!

I invented years ago the "beauty babes" (sold by card shark)
http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=212
see the trailer in the link

The routine deals with 7 cards and you force one card.
The spectator throws a die, after repeated counting the thrown number only the force card left over.
Beside the number you throw you will catch the force card.

The secret: You must start with the force card! I recommend to mark the force card.
Low Vision Marking System * Im Schattenreich der Spielkarten * Si Stebbins Pro * Gregorian Calendar Sheets for Years 1582 - 2399 * http://www.lybrary.com/dr-hanschristian-solka-m-4881.html?osCsid=20c4748547092ea41fb8ae02a2dcf0fd
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
213 Posts

Profile of murf
SlipperySnake, I PMed you.

Mystic_master, I love Steinmeyer's stuff, but I can't find anything like this in the first two of the Impuzzibilities series. What am I missing? Can you specify a chapter for us?

hcs, very nice, and with a definite Steinmeyer flavor!

Murf
SlipperySnake
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, hcs wrote:

The routine deals with 7 cards and you force one card.
The spectator throws a die, after repeated counting the thrown number only the force card left over.
Beside the number you throw you will catch the force card.

The secret: You must start with the force card! I recommend to mark the force card.


Thank you for sharing! I like the idea of using a dice with this, but I'm confused exactly how it would work. Lets say they roll a three, what would you do next? I think I'm missing something or reading it wrong. Thank you in advance. I appreciate it.
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
213 Posts

Profile of murf
Mystic_master, aha, I finally found (or re-found) The Five Card Mix in Impuzzibilities! It would indeed serve the purpose, although it wasn't immediately obvious to me that the same procedure would work with seven items. Steinmeyer's Mystery In Abstract, however, uses the same procedure with seven items, and I should have remembered that without having to go and search for it! The "beauty babes" video reminded me of Mystery In Abstract, and Steinmeyer's description of that routine mentioned The Fice Card Mix and credited George Sands'
"Prime Time".

The procedure is a bit different than that used in the Copperfield routine, where the number of "moves" varies from one move to the next. If something more like the Copperfield procedure is desired, the Thomas Henry book is a good source of ideas.

Murf
hcs
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
243 Posts

Profile of hcs
"Thank you for sharing! I like the idea of using a dice with this, but I'm confused exactly how it would work. Lets say they roll a three, what would you do next? I think I'm missing something or reading it wrong. Thank you in advance. I appreciate it."

It works with any roll one to six. Rolling a one is of course not recommended ;=). Let's roll again and add the results together.
If they roll a three you must reverse every 3rd card.

Starting point is always the marked force card. So the spectator may shuffle the cards in advance.
Low Vision Marking System * Im Schattenreich der Spielkarten * Si Stebbins Pro * Gregorian Calendar Sheets for Years 1582 - 2399 * http://www.lybrary.com/dr-hanschristian-solka-m-4881.html?osCsid=20c4748547092ea41fb8ae02a2dcf0fd
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
16734 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2017, SlipperySnake wrote:
I'm looking for a force similar to David Copperfield's "Magic at home" Orient Express effect where he had viewers touch the screen and move left/right or up/down a specific number of times (removing cards as they go) until landing upon one. I know there is a name for this particular type of effect but the name escapes me. I want to know if there was a way to do something similar with only 7 cards instead of 9? Anybody know where I would start in trying to find some information if this is possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1WTRkTjcA

I developed something similar for Copperfield. It involves 7 of Anything. He was much more impressed with what I'd done previously with 5 objects. The 7 object version takes an additional step that is almost invisible on the radio but apparent live or on Video. (I'm a radio guy)I marketed the effect as Beyond Banachek several years ago. You could easily turn it into a card trick ... But why?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS
SlipperySnake
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2017, Slim King wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1WTRkTjcA

I developed something similar for Copperfield. It involves 7 of Anything. He was much more impressed with what I'd done previously with 5 objects. The 7 object version takes an additional step that is almost invisible on the radio but apparent live or on Video. (I'm a radio guy)I marketed the effect as Beyond Banachek several years ago. You could easily turn it into a card trick ... But why? [/quote]

It has to do with an idea I had with the seven deadly sins. Could we maybe discuss things in a PM? I would be willing to purchase your effect if I think it could work with what I'm thinking. I would be done in person so I'm not sure it would work based off what you said though...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
16734 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I could at least explain the basic principle behind Copperfields original illusion so you could easily adapt THAT method for 7 rather than 9...
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Looking for a story force similar to Copperfields with only 7 options (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.56 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL