The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Whiskey Sized Glass Production With Liquid In IT (NOT SHOT GLASS) (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bpearce
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of bpearce
Does anyone know of any methods for producing a whiskey sized glass with liquid in it? I would like to be able to produce Kainoa's Victorian Glass with some liquid in it. Seated or standing makes little difference, as my performances are usually a combination of the two. It would need to be something for close up and or parlor environments.
There will always be someone better at some things than you are. There will always be someone worse at some things than you are. All you can really do in the end, is aim to be better than you were yesterday.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is time honored method sold by Abbott's Magic.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Rubber-Covers......oryId=-1

Other methods include, old time sink stoppers, rubber balls, and tire inner tube round patches with attached tab.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Check out thrift stores. They usually have a good assortment of glasses at reasonable prices! Years ago, I opened the club date act with a production of a snifter of brandy to give to someone in the front row. (I used a lot of brandy snifters in those days!) --but, at least one guy in the audience liked me!

I just used a "No Sag" Devil Napkin. A brandy snifter is never FILLED, so it didn't need a cover. I don't know what sort of glass that KAINOA uses, so, a snifter may not be appropriate.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bpearce
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of bpearce
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Other methods include, old time sink stoppers, rubber balls, and tire inner tube round patches with attached tab.

Would Abbot's body clip or ball clip work for holding it do you think? Their clips were the first thing to come mind for me, but I will admit I have never used one.
There will always be someone better at some things than you are. There will always be someone worse at some things than you are. All you can really do in the end, is aim to be better than you were yesterday.
bpearce
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of bpearce
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Check out thrift stores. They usually have a good assortment of glasses at reasonable prices! Years ago, I opened the club date act with a production of a snifter of brandy to give to someone in the front row. (I used a lot of brandy snifters in those days!) --but, at least one guy in the audience liked me!

I just used a "No Sag" Devil Napkin. A brandy snifter is never FILLED, so it didn't need a cover. I don't know what sort of glass that KAINOA uses, so, a snifter may not be appropriate.

A devil's hank was something I had considered, did not know about a no sag version. Would a standard devil's hank fit the glass or snifter? I looked for a large/giant devil's hank but most places no longer carry them :/
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, bpearce wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Would Abbot's body clip or ball clip work for holding it do you think? Their clips were the first thing to come mind for me, but I will admit I have never used one.

Try using a "banker's clip. --available in any good office supply store. "b.c.'s" will hold almost any small glass. I don't know what the prop glass you are using "looks like".
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
Quote:

A devil's hank was something I had considered, did not know about a no sag version. Would a standard devil's hank fit the glass or snifter? I looked for a large/giant devil's hank but most places no longer carry them :/

A "standard" DH (the "old original style") would have a BULGE at the "bottom", and, be very awkward to
get the glass "out"

I don't remember who first "invented" the "no-sag" DH. I bought one from the late Jack CHANIN, about 1959!
Jack made them up using cloth baby diapers!

When I was using the brandy production regularly, I had a half dozen made up in various colors to look like
cloth napkins. I didn't want them to look like a magician's prop!!! --No gold fringe, no sequins, etc!!!!!

I started using the routine in my lecture, so I had my bag lady make up a SUPPLY, for sale. Over the years,
I sold a whole bunch at $20. I think I have a couple left in my storage facility. I think they are a "powder
blue" and about 20" square. They easily held a small snifter (about 4" across x 4" high. For kid parties, I
found some globular "fish bowls" about the same size.

PM me if you have questions. I can rip a page out of an old set of lecture notes, to give you the handling, etc.!
bpearce
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of bpearce
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

A "standard" DH (the "old original style") would have a BULGE at the "bottom", and, be very awkward to
get the glass "out"

I don't remember who first "invented" the "no-sag" DH. I bought one from the late Jack CHANIN, about 1959!
Jack made them up using cloth baby diapers!

When I was using the brandy production regularly, I had a half dozen made up in various colors to look like
cloth napkins. I didn't want them to look like a magician's prop!!! --No gold fringe, no sequins, etc!!!!!

I started using the routine in my lecture, so I had my bag lady make up a SUPPLY, for sale. Over the years,
I sold a whole bunch at $20. I think I have a couple left in my storage facility. I think they are a "powder
blue" and about 20" square. They easily held a small snifter (about 4" across x 4" high. For kid parties, I
found some globular "fish bowls" about the same size.

PM me if you have questions. I can rip a page out of an old set of lecture notes, to give you the handling, etc.!

Much obliged sir! As for a clip, I think I can work something out. Appreciate the advice/help Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do to the shape of he glass, I don't know what would work as a holder.

You can call Stevens magic and ask the diameter of their Liquid Stop device, to see if it fits your glass opening. It can be used for any glass up to the diameter of the gimmick.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/liquid-stop-voit/
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Plastic cling wrap (Saran wrap) is another good method of containing liquid in a straight cylinder glass. They used to advertise it on TV, covering a glass of liquid and then turning the glass upside down to show how well it worked. I said to myself, "Aha!" It's not 100% perfect, so be prepared for some minor leaks or spillage by using a "busy" pattern of handkerchief that camouflages wet spots.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Don't know the glass you are trying to use. Old Sam Berland used to just hit the hardware stores and buy rubber drain stoppers to fit his glass openings. The stopper was moistened and simply wedged into the glass mouth. It works a dream and the plus is that they can be threaded a la' a pendulum pull to deliever or vanish a glass of fluid. The tops of Pringle can will snap over a larger glass and work as a nice top.

Tupperware used to make tumblers of all differnt sizes each with a sealable lid. Finding one of the older vintage lids to fit the specific glass might be possible and a fun search.

Interesting thread this! It has reminded me of some old ideas and old production ideas from back in the day.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Almost forgot to mention the other benefit of using plastic cling wrap: if you put a rubber band over the cling wrap, you can push it down into the glass to make a pocket, which is good for holding a fountain of silks or other load. You flip over the covering handkerchief and produce the load first, then roll up the rubber band and cling wrap cover to hide under the silks or whatever and you reveal the glass of (in my case and at my age I used) milk. The cover and rubber band gets tossed aside with the silks or flowers.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Guys, here is ad on penguin Magic.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19969

I checked several websites and it looks like they locked the picture or removed the picture of the glass. Don't want anyone searching the Internet by picture, I guess.

It is not really a shot glass, more of a Bourbon glass stuck on top of a Whiskey glass bottom.

I think the best bet is the Liquid Stop by Volt from Stevens Magic.

If you can find a ball large enough, the Abbott's Squash gimmick would work very well, then you could vanish the glass at the end as well, having produced it at the beginning.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Squas......oryId=-1

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Instant-Instr......oryId=-1

You could even use the Pendulum Principle in the Tommy Wonder books. That would depend if you could find a suction cup that would work with our glass.

Of course John Cornelius was the 1st place I heard of this gimmick. It could also work with Squash.

All the above means you would have to wear a jacket.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
From the way it's talked about, the "pendulum" principle is what we called a "swing load", when I was beginning.
Yes, a swing load could be used as a production (The late Russ Charles used the swing load to produce a dove
from a newspaper. He did it thousands of times when on school tours.)

I still like the Devil Napkin.
bpearce
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of bpearce
I have heard Richard Osterlind has a glass production of some kind, but do not it's size and if it is close to a bourbon sized glass. Interesting thread so far, I really like all the ideas being thrown back and forth.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Osterlind, Glass Production that he showed on the video tape lecture by Jeff Busby years ago, was, he opened a grocery size brown paper bag fully, then reached inside and remove a tall glass of lemonade, the method was not explained, but sold in a separate book, of which, I never bought. He was standing behind a card table with a full suit on at the time of the production. I have no idea as to his method or how it was accomplished.

Call Steven's Magic, the gimmicks are on limited supply. I owned one of the 1st ones and do your design with the base an the bellowing upper part, it should work for you as the gimmick is make to produce a wind glass of that type of glass. You can always return it if it does not work for you shot glass.

Many questions have been posed in regards to the glass and you have not enlightened us to the nature of the glass. In the video, the glass looks much different then the ad picture. If it is more straight sided, angled wall on the outside down to the base, then any of the other methods will work.

I'm done guessing now, thanks for the question.
By the way, it is a shot glass, looks like a double shot glass to me. You may have to make your own special designed gimmick with holder.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I have this which might be what you are looking for. I am also making a shorter "rocks glass" version.

http://scottalexander.bigcartel.com/product/big-shot
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
bpearce
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of bpearce
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2017, Scott Alexander wrote:
I have this which might be what you are looking for. I am also making a shorter "rocks glass" version.

Hey Scott, funny you should reply to this chain. I actually emailed you asking if big shot would work with other glasses and you were kind enough to test it out on a rocks glass/whiskey glass, you even sent a picture. I was just coming onto the Café to say that actually and mention the great customer service. Thanks again! This will fit in perfectly in my act! Smile
bpearce
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of bpearce
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2017, Scott Alexander wrote:

quick tangent. I have to say, all your stuff is top notch. If I ever do an invisible deck routine, yours is the one I do. Okay, back to the topic at hand haha!
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Thanks so much....You inspired me to look into other glasses and I have found a wonderful wine glass that I can now work with too!

I have a routine I do based on Faucett Ross' handling of the Challenge Bowl Production using two Big Shot glasses. It involves the premise of sneaking drinks into a movie theatre. I produce one from a foulard, and then have the "usher" search me and then produce the second one.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Whiskey Sized Glass Production With Liquid In IT (NOT SHOT GLASS) (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL