The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wanting to Learn Three Shell Game (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
.....and was wondering if there is a good book on the subject. Also what set of shells would you reccomend I use to learn with? I am considering getting a set of conjuring cups but I am unaware if this is a good set to start out with. I want to present it as magic and not use shills etc. to make it convincing.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Glen Morphew
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Chucklerich

The conjuring cups are a nice shell set for beginners or advance users.

You also might want to take a look at the "Black Walnut Shell sets".

They come in two different types; Classic type or the bottom ridge.

These shells are very easy to grip. A resin shell that looks very realistic.

If you would like more detail, PM me and I will be happy to tell you more.

Al
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I love both the SFS shells and the La Maggiore shells.

For the beginner, I think Bob Kohler's Golden Shells routine is the best and easiest to get going with.
It's got it all and gives you lots of things to think about.

The real impromptu possibilities of the shells is awesome and there are a few things to consider:

1. Phil Cass's shell game routine is amazing and really shows you how to add real tension to a routine and make it entertaining++.
2. The booklet called "Patterns" which teaches you how to do the exact same moves all the time but get the pea where you want it every time.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I think that the Gary Oulette (sp) book is excellent. Very easy to learn from.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I'll second the Gary ouellet routine' it's called Supershells and is available from Camirand Academy of Magic.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Have none of you ever heard of Glen Morphew? He teaches Bob Sheets 3 Shell Bootcamp. If you ever seen it or learned it, you would never, I repeat NEVER even think of looking at another three shell routine. You can only get it straight through Glenn.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I agree,Glen Morphew shell routine is very good!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I have Glen's boot camp, and I think that it's great. However, I would not suggest it as an introduction to the shells.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
You might also check out Frank Garcia's routine on his Stars of Magic DVD. Quick and to the point. For me, some routines go on sooo long as the performer tries to cram every move possible into his routine that it becomes boorish.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I think both of "jakeg" posts is good advice for the beginner.

After the introduction with Supershells you will understand the game to go on from there.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Ill second pops stuff
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I have all of the materials listed in the above posts, plus more. My journey began with the School for Scoundrels Introduction to the 3 Shell Game. I heartily recommend this resource for the neophyte shell worker.
The basic and advanced moves will give you much to chew on. I cannot stress enough that when you learn a basic routine, get out and perform. Nothing will increase your skill level quicker than putting in some face time with real spectators. Also take Tom G.'s advice regarding your shell routine. A little goes a long way.

I then added resources to my collection as my skill level and confidence grew. All of the materials listed are great resources, and each have increased my knowledge of the craft. Good luck on your journey with the shells. They can become an addiction.
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
To save some of you some search time, here's a link to Glenn's routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czCwt6fAalA

And here's a link to his store:

http://povmagician.com/

-Brian
Steadyhands
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Steadyhands
A couple of classic books on the Shell Game are:-
The Manual of The Three Shell Game by Eddie Joseph http://www.lybrary.com/the-manual-of-the......729.html

Three Shell Game by Tom Osbourne http://www.lybrary.com/three-shell-game-p-3647.html
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Ok, So far it seems like the Tom Osborne book is for me.

I can only afford one set of shells next month and I would like to get a good set that I can both learn with and present well to audiences. Ive see different types of shells out ther and I definitely want ones that don't have obvious tells when you flip them over. I am curious whether the bottom ridge one are helpful in the mechanics of performin the moves or are they only to sell the fairness of the game.? I have fairly thick hands and wss considering getting a La Maggiore shell set, but before I decide I wanted to clear up this question.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the sort of giant shell sets ive seen used at carnivals and fairs back in the eighties. They were a touch smaller than coconut shells but had the appearance of gigantic walnut shells. If I remember correctly the sets I saw of these had either a red or green felt lining to prevent the peas from signalling. Google searches for 'giant shell game sets' hasnt turned up anything like them. I would like to get a set to perform the effect at out next church talent show (presenting them as a trick/puzzler). They would show up well for people in the back row. I know it is possible they are no longer made as it has been a while since ive seen anyone performing with them.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
The only ones I know of are Pops trade show shells
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
The big Shells that I make are 4- 1/4" long, by 3- 1/2" wide, 1- 3/4" high and the weight is about 4-1/4 ounces per shell. The shells work with a 5/8" soft pea.
The peas that come with the set are the KDS -Very Soft Peas.
They come both ways Classic type shell or Bottom Ridge type shell. You can find the big shells on the bottom of the walnut shell set page at 3shells.com
russpie
View Profile
New user
2 steps ahead
34 Posts

Profile of russpie
I've recently bought the School For Scoundrels Volumes 1& 2. It's got to be the video bible on the 3 shell game. So much information to take in, watch, read & learn about the downloads come with PDFs with photos, history, moves & routines plus you get the benefit of seeing the videos. It's going to take me a while & quite a few watches to make notes on what I want to include in my routine & put the thing together. I bought the downloadable videos off the scoundrel website & they're an absolute bargain for the amount of content. I'd say you definitely need to start with Vol 1 as Vol 2 refers to some of the moves taught in the first video.

Maybe look up some of Pop & Chef's videos on youtube to see their routines performed & make your mind up about wanting to learn from their videos.
"Tragically I was an only twin"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wanting to Learn Three Shell Game (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL