The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » _RARE CHANNING POLLOCK TV APPEARANCE_ (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Channing Pollock's brief appearance as a secret agent in the episode "Run for the Money" of the NBC series "The Rogues" has been posted on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neI0aV34hQE

You will see Channing's cameo at the 5:15 mark--his usual great card manipulations, one dove production, the appearing cane, and the cage vanish. He has a speaking part a few minutes later where he explains the mission that Gig Young has to go on.

I still think--based on this cameo and his appearance on "Daniel Boone"--that maybe NBC was considering a possible adventure series with Channing Pollock as a magician/secret agent.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is a great find, I was a senior in high school, when that was on television, but for some reason it never aired in the Midwest, to my knowledge. I am surprised that it is in Black and White, as a lot of the programs back then were transitioning to color. I was working in a pizza carry-out store only 4 houses away from my residence. I had to work nights so missed most evening television.

It is nice to see Channing speak, and expressions were very good, he was a good actor as well as a superior magician. It is written that he gave his complete magic act including cloths to a cab driver in Europe, who became Franklin on stage. So he had to acquire all his props again for television.

I think Channing was a victim of the old "pigeon hole" that still exist today. He became so famous as a magician, they could not see him as anything else. It is written that he wanted to become an actor, and he did, but it seems only as a magician from the references Sonny has been so gracious to provide thus far.

Neil Foster me he was a Rich Kid, with a sloppy attitude, when the met and trained him at the Chavez Studio of Magic and Prestidigitation in California. Neil Foster was very proud of Channing Pollock and his career and accomplishments.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I saw Channing Pollock's act at the MAGICIANS ALLIANCE OF EASTERN STATES CONVENTION, in Lancaster, PA, in the early fall of 1953.

I THINK that he was breaking in, about then. He was on the Ed Sullivan TV show on Sunday night, I believe, later that fall.
I think that that was the show in which he missed the profonde on the dove to silk toss. He kept on with the act, and, IIRC, no one in the audience saw it!

Watching him on Sullivan, having seen him before, and having some knowledge of "techniques", I was able to figure several st**ls. He was GREAT!

I didn't see him on "THE ROGUES", but, did see the DANIEL BOONE episode. That was "different", but GOOD.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick, when I took some lessons with Neil Foster, he showed me that Sullivan show performance. He said, did you see it, I said what, he said, no one seems to notice it at all. I was so focused on Channing, I did not see the dove miss, until Neil showed me 2 more times.

Is that a lesson in misdirection? Smile

I thought Channing was on the Sullivan show in someplace around the 1960's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Bill! Very possibly, he may have repeated on the Sullivan show. I know that Mark Leddy (Jay Marshall's agent)AND talent "coordinator" for the Sullivan show, liked magic, and, Pollock was certainly a crowd pleaser!

When I first saw him on Sullivan, I was visiting Earl Edwards, owner of the EdMar Magic Shop in Norfolk, VA. I think it was just before the Christmas Holidays, but, not 100% sure about THAT.

Earl and I were watching extra closely, since we had seen him at MAES a couple of months earlier, and, I think that the MAES appearance, was the first time that I had seen an act like that. I was very interested in white glove "stuff", then, and, also, I had not seen anyone do doves like that. I remember "catching" the dove on the floor. I was really watching CLOSELY!!!

Pollock was "matinee idol" handsome, and, TALENTED! I don't remember discussing Pollock with Neil. It's interesting to hear Neil's comments, on a young Pollock!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fN_xKW5c0 Here you can see the cameo Bill Hegbli is talking about. You see her picking up the dove afterwards and take it with her.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Watching that performance again, I can see he was plagued with many little mishaps during the performance.

On the old Cathode-ray tube television, that dove was seen exactly in the lower right corner of the screen, right at the very corner.

Thanks for posting that video.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Hindsight, as they say, is 20-20.
When Channing did his card manipulations on the "Seminole Territory" episode of "Daniel Boone," there was a flash during the fan productions--but I only caught it when I watched a 16mm film of that episode--and I only caught that flash because I know the move. I would guess that non-magicians didn't see it at all.

----- Sonny Narvaez
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I was in Wallmart the other day and they had a 5 episode dvd of Daniel Boone. It includes a very good copy of the "Seminole Territory" with Channing in it. For $5, it is tough to go wrong.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
The Internet Movie Database lists eight movies/TV drama series where Channing Pollock played fictional characters (e.g. "Lumindorf" on "The Rogues," "Carter" on "Bonanza" and "Fletcher Cameron" on "Daniel Boone") as well as a real-life historical character ("Kit Carson" on "The Great Adventure.")
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0689639/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Channing Pollock's film "Judex" was included in the book _Fifty Classic French Films, 1912-1982: A Pictorial Record_ by Anthony Slide. (Anthony Slide "produced more than seventy books and edited a further 150 on the history of popular entertainment"--so he obviously knows something about what constitutes good film entertainment.)

_Time Magazine_ and _Variety_ both gave the film "Judex" a positive review. So some bona fide critics must have thought that Channing Pollock was a decent actor. My guess, though, is that during his years as an actor, magic was still his first love. At least three of his feature films ("The Red Sheik," "Judex," and "Rocambole") included scenes where he did card manipulations or dove productions.

----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » _RARE CHANNING POLLOCK TV APPEARANCE_ (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL