The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Its about Time! David Blaine LIVE TOUR (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
In case you missed it, David Blaine is doing a North America Tour where he will be performing LIVE across the country!

http://www.davidblaine.com/live/

I just got my tickets! (VIP tickets Get a MEET AND GREET! and they're just $400) ....compared to other artist's performances (where VIP tickets are normally over $1000) $400 for VIP+Meet and Greet is REALLY WORTH IT! Unfortunately I didn't have $400 to spend, but I still got decent seats. I can't believe I'm going, and I can not WAIT!
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Won't you just have to watch a giant screen the whole time?
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
My seat is not that bad. If he uses a screen for smaller magic then so be it. However the impression I get is that he has put a lot of thought into his performance and will be incorporating more stage appropriate magic. Possible variants of the water torture cell - breathe holding feats, possible Hadji Ali inspired Kerosene Drinking Fire Breathing, IF we get lucky a self-bullet catch, and other exciting things along that nature.

His trailer video had a lady use a whip, and she hit a cigar out of his mouth, maybe they will incorporate vegas/ring/side-show style things in there as well.

Blaine said a Tour was always something he wanted to do.... so is it a bucket-list type thing, does he do it this Once, and maybe Never again, or at least not for some years? Or maybe he falls in-love and decides to go full time stage-performer. (I doubt it.) Either way, not something I want to miss, to see my favourite magician perform in person.
DannyOcean
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DannyOcean
I got my tickets for the debut show in Balboa Theater. I'm so excited. I didn't get the VIP tickets either, though I really would love to meet the guy. Hopefully sitting third row is plenty close. I'm just happy to be getting a chance at witnessing a bit of history in the making. This will either be the start of him touring more often, or the only tour he does. Getting to be at the opening show alone is almost priceless.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I believe he's stated that this is going to be more 'stunt' oriented than his street magic stuff.

Could be interesting. I'm waiting to see how reviews come up.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I got the VIP tickets for Texas, I am pretty sure he's doing his hold breath stunt and the bullet catch
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Danny I agree, history in the making is correct :p.

Witch, don't wait to long if you are really trying to go, or be ready to pay a huge premium on the face value of the ticket. Just an hour after sales, and I couldn't get two tickets side by side... well I could but they were twice as far and twice as expensive as single tickets.

David, that's what I was thinking... but then I was also thinking how possible it would be to do a bullet catch every single day for the course of over 15-20+? shows. Guess it will be a fun surprise if he does, and very interesting. He may call people up and do a self-penetration as well, I'd die to go up there and witness that up close! haha.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Penn and Teller did the Bullet catch as a part of their act night after night... I think didn't they?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, DavidKenney wrote:
Penn and Teller did the Bullet catch as a part of their act night after night... I think didn't they?

yes, but theirs was a trick. David's is "real."
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Yes.... ha ha I love how it's in quotes. I'm sure Blaine's bullet catch is as real as Penn and Teller's
DannyOcean
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DannyOcean
Well, tonight's the night!! Really looking forward to this show. Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Let us know your thoughts afterwards.
DannyOcean
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DannyOcean
I really enjoyed the show. I won't go into details as to not spoil the show or ruin expectations for those attending in the near future, but the biggest take away I got it is he stated that this show is his focus moving forward. He intends to develop and improve it, so who knows what the future holds or if he even changes his show as the tour continues.

The show itself was great. He involved more than a good share of the crowd while performing many stunts. He performed a great twist to the Here Then There as well as a few other new versions to some of his tricks/stunts from his earlier specials.

I did feel a sense of unease in certain parts as some of the crowd was a bit more loud and involved than they should have been at times, but David obviously handled everything like the pro he is. I very much look forward to seeing this show again in the future.
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
My wife and I caught David Blaine's May 31st show in Riverside. We, too, enjoyed it. We thought he came across as a very genuine, sincere performer. Some of his stuff was pure magic, a lot of it was stunt/sideshow/demonstration, and some of it was both. It was great seeing him perform live some of the things we've only seen him do on T.V. No edits or second takes here! It all worked, and the audience reactions were strong.

Almost everything Blaine did involved audience assistants/witnesses. Several lucky ones got to take home some of David's props at the end of a routine. It reminded me of how he'd give his deck away after doing card magic in his Street Magic special.

I, too, noticed a lot of overly-exuberant shout outs from the audience, more than I've ever seen at a magic show, and it got uncomfortable at times. Part of this, I'm guessing, is Blaine's rock star status (the crowd clearly loved him) and his willingness to tolerate such "participation." He was cool, in control, articulate, and smooth.

I, too, do not wish to say too much lest I spoil it for others who haven't seen the show yet. Enjoy!

Ross
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Truly wonderful low played but strong theater! Loved it and being in the experience the audience had.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is fantastic to hear. Good for him!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
Even though his tour performance was a lot of things he had done on his TV specials it was still awesome to see live. So much can be handled with re filming a trick or editing in post, but to see David perform live and show his skill of crowd control even on a large scale was inspiring. As a performer who does a similar show with the magic and stunts combination it was very educational to learn some things I could employ to engage the audience a bit more. I would see it again, and look forward to the next tour if he does one.
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
His show was GREAT! I'd for sure go again, maybe with front row seats next time! I knew most of the things he was going to do right before he did them, but he added a lot of little twists which I found quite entertaining. I also really enjoyed the Q&A and the way he included spectators in the show. (I wasn't actually chosen, but maybe one day I can meet him!)

We also got to see Asi Wind do a performance which was very skillful and it brought a nice uplifting funny aspect to the much more eerie-misterious feel of classical David Blaine.

that's all I will say, without exposing to much.
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Here is a comment made by Richard Kaufman

Tonight I experienced something amazing: I understood for the first time what people felt when watching Houdini a century ago. Electrifying, Amazing: go see David Blaine's live show. JUST GO.

https://www.facebook.com/richard.kaufman

Go see it if you can
Worth twice the amount and more
Dorothy Dietrich and Dick Brookz
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I saw the show last night in Tucson, AZ. It was absolutely amazing. It was so surreal just to be there watching a childhood idol perform live for the first time. I do hope he tours again.

There were certain parts of the show where I was powerfully impacted with the beauty and art of the performances David was bringing fourth. I really got the gist of what he was creating and was totally enamored by a lot of it. Such as watching him in silence upside down in a tank of water. Or seeing a man literally sew their mouth shut with such a nonchalant countenance - like one would comb their hair.

The power of simplicity that magicians questioned in the past and the lack of 'performance' availed itself live. The experience was so deep that a 'performance' would have muted the significance of what was occurring before the eyes of the audience. Which has so much more depth then the banal, forced, and overdone patter of a card effect. This was a real experience, not something unnaturally concocted to strengthen and bolster a doing because the experience itself doesn't carry its own weight.

The visuals David created are something that sticks with a person. I was totally spellbound and taken completely by the experience. Total engagement and immersion. Like seeing Harry Houdini hanging from a building in a straight jacket. It takes great mastery to grasp the attention of an audience in this manner. It was immensely magical and eerie at times. Very vaudevillian. Staggeringly enigmatic. This is rarity - spectacle. This is true artistry.

When I was younger I always pondered with friends how he would translate live. Well, it is better to see the man live then on TV, by a long shot. He is doing things that no one in the world does, nor ever will. Truly a performer that will go down in history. It really made me question the validity of my own work and the power of forging a unique path for oneself as David has done in his long career, as opposed to being an obvious adumbration of another. The experience with David was full blown David. It was fresh, original. It was on the precipice of the magic world circumnavigating the trials of those inside of a box doing what they have seen others do. David was brand new. And I was filled with gratitude for the experience.

Thank you David for what you do. I was truly touched.

I regret not buying tickets in another city as I had originally planned.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Its about Time! David Blaine LIVE TOUR (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL