The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Please Help - Carneycopia - Half Dollars in the Mist (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Hi friends,

I am seriously doubting this can be done in practice... It reads as a a close-up effect but everything including the angle of the body and the hands seem to be all out of place. I wonder if anyone has experience/guidance/tips/complaints/jokes you could share with me?

Much appreciated.

K.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Here you go, from the man himself.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/9354200
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Okay thanks Rick. So basically it's pretty different from the description in the book... it was really poorly described/captured.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Glad I could be of assistance.
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Shame I cannot be of much assistance to you on improving your routines! Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I think, the thing is, he's changed it over the years
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2017, fonda57 wrote:
I think, the thing is, he's changed it over the years

I don't doubt he's changed it. But if you (only) follow exactly what it reads in the text there is no way it would work. I think the description in the book is quite sloppy..
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Man I hate those productions. Such a waste. For me personally I can't do it his way because I have very skinny fingers and huge windows, I literally cannot grip a coin where he does. I've found I can do it between the first and second fingers and further towards the tips. (Probably a name for it, but I've never been one for nomenclature) unfortunately this loses the major benefit of carneys vanish where the fingers are slowly opened one at a time.
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2017, SmileAndNod wrote:
Man I hate those productions. Such a waste. For me personally I can't do it his way because I have very skinny fingers and huge windows, I literally cannot grip a coin where he does. I've found I can do it between the first and second fingers and further towards the tips. (Probably a name for it, but I've never been one for nomenclature) unfortunately this loses the major benefit of carneys vanish where the fingers are slowly opened one at a time.

I completely feel you - I have the same issues with windows... And I agree with those productions.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
His books are better than most out there and his thinking is superior to just about anyone.

I have a hard time believing what's written is sloppy in any way.

I've never done this routine. I'll have to go read and see for myself.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Yes, that book was written by Stephen Minch.
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
The book instructions seem perfectly clear to me, but I learned it from his Penguin Live lecture video and then read it again. You might want to keep in mind that the vanish he shows in the video Rick posted above is a variation of the basic vanish he describes in the book. The other difference I noted in the book from the video is that in Carneycopia the instructions have you reproduce both coins simultaneously, rather than one at a time.

I have the same issues with windows and have given up on making this exact effect work for me, but there are some really nice elements that can be borrowed for other tricks and the instructions (both in the book and on video) contain lessons on misdirection that I think made it worth spending time practicing it. I did pull it off once in a room with dim light where my windows would be less obvious.

Carney discusses the basic vanish and the "pinch" variation in the Penguin lecture. This vanish is also taught in Carney's Vanishing Coins DVD. If you want to study this trick in more depth I'd go to those resources, then go back to the book.

Dave
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I read the trick in the book and it's not the easiest thing to understand.

But I don't understand what you don't like about the productions?
"Such a waste"? what does that even mean?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Please Help - Carneycopia - Half Dollars in the Mist (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL