The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Free Easter Egg Hunt from Abbott's Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All: Abbott's Magic (near and dear to me as it is a 40 minute drive from my house) is doing a FREE "Easter Egg Hunt" on its www.magicgettogether.com web site. You basically have to search around their site and go through the history photos, and then click on the free PDF files being made available for instant download. There are 30 free downloads, some are really excellent! Not exactly Gospel magic, but many effects which could be adapted perhaps.

Sidebar: If you click on the history photos of the 2012 Abbott's Magic GetTogether, then click on the Saturday night show, you will see pictures of the great Mac King performing. I was in the huge Colon audience with my wife- and who does he pick to come up for his famous "raincoat of invisibility" trick- us! Photo 2910.jpg is of my wife and Mac King, 2856.jpg is of me with Mac King. Obviously, I married up! Smile
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2017, MagicBus wrote:
Hi All: Abbott's Magic (near and dear to me as it is a 40 minute drive from my house) is doing a FREE "Easter Egg Hunt" on its www.magicgettogether.com web site. You basically have to search around their site and go through the history photos, and then click on the free PDF files being made available for instant download. There are 30 free downloads, some are really excellent! Not exactly Gospel magic, but many effects which could be adapted perhaps.

Sidebar: If you click on the history photos of the 2012 Abbott's Magic GetTogether, then click on the Saturday night show, you will see pictures of the great Mac King performing. I was in the huge Colon audience with my wife- and who does he pick to come up for his famous "raincoat of invisibility" trick- us! Photo 2910.jpg is of my wife and Mac King, 2856.jpg is of me with Mac King. Obviously, I married up! Smile

30 free downloads? I only found 8! I guess I'll have to keep looking!
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I think I found about 18 or so. They are in the photos that go back 30+ years. So you really have to hunt around for them.

Probably the next Gospel magic routine I post here on The Magic Café' will be the "Tambo Rings"/hat coil trick that is made by Abbott's in Colon. This trick has been around for ages- still brings a great response. Hat coils used to sell for way under a dollar each way back when (I remember once I got a whole bunch of them for $5.00 in the early 1970's), but now they sell for about $5.00 each. Still worth it in my judgment, the kids still love to see all that paper piling up on the floor and being twirled around with your wand while pulling out the long long coil stream...
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
If anyone has any Tamboo Rings/hat coil Gospel routines, feel free to post yours first and I can add on mine later that I come up with. Smile Don't want to re-invent the wheel if some good Gospel routines already exist out there for this cute kids effect (would not surprise me if one or two already did).
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2017, MagicBus wrote:
I think I found about 18 or so. They are in the photos that go back 30+ years. So you really have to hunt around for them.

Probably the next Gospel magic routine I post here on The Magic Café' will be the "Tambo Rings"/hat coil trick that is made by Abbott's in Colon. This trick has been around for ages- still brings a great response. Hat coils used to sell for way under a dollar each way back when (I remember once I got a whole bunch of them for $5.00 in the early 1970's), but now they sell for about $5.00 each. Still worth it in my judgment, the kids still love to see all that paper piling up on the floor and being twirled around with your wand while pulling out the long long coil stream...

I ended up finding 29. The one I couldn't find was "How To Be A Ventriloquist."
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I found that one! Could not find Sparky's balloon act. I knew Sparky- he actually died from lung disease complicated by/from all the balloon talc he inhaled into his lungs from the thousands and thousands of 360 balloons he blew up. Moral of the story- use a balloon pump I guess.

Turns out Abbott's is currently not making/is out of "Tambo Rings". So I purchased from a local knitting shop "Stitching Memories" two 8 inch "Susan Bates HOOP-La Embroidery Hoop and Frame"(plastic)- glued them together- and you have a cheap set of "Tambo Rings" for under $7.00. Or you could even glue three together to make it about the larger width of Tambo Rings. Per Greg at Abbott's today, they still do have white hat coils for sale (which I understand are pretty hard to find).

If you do not know how this extremely simple trick works, Abbott's sells the one page of downloadable instructions for $4.00. www.AbbottMagic.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Per Duane Laflin: Adding machine tape rolls can be used for paper coils. Place in freezer for a day and the plastic insert will be easy to pop out.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Several mesages -using the paper coil - Gods FLOW of love - Blessings -etc - I had one using a rice bowel - where afer the rice you had a silk load then a coil load - as most of you know I don't have a private computor ( only at my p/t Job- at 80(in June) still have to make up for the cost of living L-O-L)-- If interested, I'll look for it at my Home Library - pm me - or? - not at the pc for a few weeks due to problems at home ( illnes ,kitchen flood -etc) but with Our Heavenly Fathers Love were OK( and prayes to & from all - please keep us in yours ) -gaining health - etc- and completely at PEACE- what a wonderful feeling to be at PEACE - with the companionship of the Father-Son-Holy Ghost. Blessings to ALL -- Ralph(russo)Rousseau
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Stevens Magic Emporium is now selling smaller colored hat coils from Japan for $9.00. I probably will use my long Abbott's white hat coil to illustrate something along the lines of what Ralph suggested above.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
If still in publication - a good book titled 'Illustrating Scripture Truths with Magical Apparhatus' by Rev.Dana M. Pankey,D.D.,Th.D--- copy right 1957 - a lot of good stuff with simple effects including the rice bowls I mentioned above. IS IT STILL in Publication?? let me know - pm Ralph(russo)Rousseau
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
The Rice bowl effect was titled "Saved and Cleaned Up!" Ralph
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2017, MagicBus wrote:

When I was a teenager (eons ago!) hat coils were twenty five cents, and Percy's catalog noted "We pay the postage!" next to the price for ANYTHING sold!

I used up a gezillion coils! Back in the '20s and '30s, stock brokers got their info from Wall Street on their "stock ticker". The "tickers" used paper tapes to print out the information. "Ticker tape parades" were "big" when a celebrity was being honored. I remember buying packages of "ticker tape" CHEAP, when TV arrived!

When producing tape from rings, I learned to use a LONG stick. It makes a better display, and, I didn't get my arm "cluttered" with paper.

$5.00!!!??? Egad! My late friend, George Johnstone, "usta" write a column for Percy's TOPS magazine. He always included "thoughts while rewinding the hat coils"!

For years, I would park my RV in Jerry Conklin's back yard, in the summer, when I was off he road. I even registered to vote in Colon.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2017, Terry Holley wrote:
Per Duane Laflin: Adding machine tape rolls can be used for paper coils. Place in freezer for a day and the plastic insert will be easy to pop out.

Old timers would use a hack saw to slice toilet paper rolls into a half dozen hat coils.

Old pro. Dick Stoner uses adding machine machine tape rolls in his Genii tube. It looks good.

Many thrift shops may have add. machine rolls (donated by offices that now use computers).
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Free Easter Egg Hunt from Abbott's Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL