The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » 'Nothing But The Truth' by Craig Petty » » Craig Petty review show starts today (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1287 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I watched it now twice and there are loads of good tips in it about and I just ordered that book what he said about switch
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3401 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Craig,

Great show! It's not about the video equipement. It's about the ontent. The content was wonderful. I really enjoyed watching and listening and learning from your comments. I feel I should go to a TA (Toys Anonymous) meeting. I admit it. I bought Insta-Change for the toy and instant gratification factors. Keep 'em coming.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
5740 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I literally cry every time a new bill-switch is put on the market. They're all the bloody same. Good review. Agreed as above. Please record on full screen and buy one of those roll-up back-drops. They're mega cheap but very effective. Let's see more, but less time spent on one particular effect. We got the message half way through that video and you just repeated yourself beyond that. Keep em coming.
M Pitcher
View Profile
Veteran user
Around the block
382 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Great show Craig,
I really like it and can't wait to see more.
I don't understand why some people are talking about the quality and the background.
This is a free show that Craig is sharing his thoughts with us.
I like the format because it's like nothing else we have seen and it's almost like we are sitting down with him.
I see it as a gift and if this is the look they want it to have, so be it.
Pegasus, suggesting him to buy a roll up just because you want it to look like something you are more familiar with is not a valid point.

MP
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2781 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Craig,

Production values of this show were absolutely fine. Just you and a camera wherever you happen to be works fine for me.

I think the fact that the Ladies bathroom was right behind you was great because I absolutely knew certain people would find it outrageous while people like me would think "so what, it's a real place".

Love the review and the tone but I'd like to see less repetition and maybe two items reviewed. Load your review into a video editor and cut out the repetition and I'll bet it's half the length or even shorter.

Thanks
'
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
357 Posts

Profile of Merlin
I love seeing another review show. I also would like to see more than one product reviewed at a time.

You did mention that you would not buy the effect. Is it fair to review a product you have not had in your hands and worked on it? Just curious on that fact. Still loved the show.

And you need to stop poking yourself in the face constantly.

Phil
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
1524 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Ross W wrote:
I've always quite enjoyed Craig's reviews: he's a provocateur and apparently unafraid of speaking the truth, so - welcome back, Craig.

BUT - Oh my God, the production of this show is just horrible.

a). Who decided that it was acceptable to put the moving picture inside another still picture, on a "quirky" angle, meaning that at any time we're looking at TWO pictures of Craig's face? Why? It looks cheap and amateurish...BUT
b) not as cheap and amateurish as filming outside a toilet door, with a ceiling crack above Craig's head, and a horrible brown curtain, and a lamp reflecting in the window. It's so ugly, that I'm convincedthat it was deliberate? Like a joke? You know, "this is so authentic, so no-frills that we're gonna make it look totally sh*te. Ha ha!"
c) I first saw the "headphones-as-a-microphone" thing on Rick Lax and it's cr*p when he does it. It's no better now. C'mon: a half-decent clip-on microphone for an iPhone is about £20. Jeez.

Review shows are ten-a-penny these days. Craig has a slight advantage over others in - apparently - being unafraid to slag stuff off. If he goes the extra step and makes it look halfway decent, it might be worth watching again. Saying "this is not a slick studio show" is all very well, but it does not have to look dreadful just to demonstrate the contrast.


Cheers Ross.

Allow me to explain. This is not a commercial endeavour for me. Unlike most shows I do not own a magic shop. I just feel passionate about magic, got asked by a lot of people to 'come back'' and thought I'd try it.

If people like it and want more I'll invest in better equipment. At the moment I'm playing around with the former and style. I run 4 companies so I'm quite busy so it's never going to be studio based but I'll try my best in the future to improve production values.

Cheers bud!


Ah well, perhaps I was a bit harsh... Good luck with it anyway! I truly hope I didn't discourage you, there'll always be room for an original review show.

On reflection, instead of my catty post (above) it would have been kinder simply to say, "the content is so good that it deserves more attentive production,"
Author, "Time Travelling With A Hamster" (HarperCollins)
"What Not To Do If You Turn Invisible" (Harper Collins)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Travelling-......+hamster
https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Not-You-Tu......nvisible
Twitter: @rosswelford
Blog: dadfood.wordpress.com
mikenewman
View Profile
Special user
Maryland! Back home and Thrilled!
887 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
This is 100% Perfect and exactly what we need more of!!!!

I could care less where you record it, and if you have Beats by dre or cheap headphones in???or what you wear. Or if you're in front of a toilet or a castle or whatever??? Who cares????? It's the CONTENT that matters, and it's from someone who PERFORMS and who will speak the TRUTH!!! And that's AWESOME!

Great job my friend and please do more. This is pure review from a "friend" in magic. And will actually help us.
Thank you for being true.


And you know what guys? If you disagree with his review, than that's even more awesome! Why? Because he's just like you and I. We want to purchase what's going to work for us.

Great job!!!! Keep it up!!!!
The TRUTH is out there!!!!! Smile

And I do agree. The $100 bill switch is great and does so much more.
But if you like toys, then buy away.

Mike
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5473 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Love the RED fill on the opening. Maginificently cheeky.

Love the "TT" edits. Truly brilliant and hilarious.

I would say you are out of touch with the market... But you're not. You admit the market. You admit the massive popularity Nick's trick has with shoppers. You just are ranting against that market which you were once a player in. Good luck because that is the grease that oils the magic marketplace. The business of retailing magic IS selling what you call "toys" to people who are entertained by playing with them. Retailers can not survive on the meager purchases of pros who only need a new set of sponges every six months, an occasional pack of fl4sh p8per, and a replacement scotch and soda because their kid accidentally spent theirs in a vending machine.

I do find that there are some gaping holes in your view on the product.

You say it doesn't fill a need, but you are wrong. There are tons of people who would love to do a bill sw!tch but are inept with that other thing you are talking about. This solves that problem for them... as possibly do the other trillion similar effects which have been foisted upon the marketplace recently. The difference is this one is delightfully easier.

I might agree that the easy-ing of magic is not generally a bettering of magic, but I have found that argument is much like an old man sitting on his porch yelling at the traffic going by his house. It has no effect on the magic money machine.

You talk about not being able to change it back, but I believe that is a mistake to do. The power of changing something into something greater is weakened by changing that greater thing back into a weaker thing.

What you have here is a simpler way to achieve what you seem to admit is basically the same effect. It has some drawbacks for workers, perhaps, but as you pointed out, those workers probably already have a method which works for such a venue. Your review was overly harsh (I know that is your M.O.) for a trick which generally brings the effect of a bill switch to lesser dexterous people.

Now if you want to round up a posse somewhere to drink a few beers and rant about the issues of simplifying methods and the poison of the magic money machine, then I'm all in. I might even have a few inside stories to share on how that machine cheats and bullies anyway they can all in the name of business and making a buck.
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
Good to see you back, but go full screen on the video. Looking forward to more to come..
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
357 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Guys, Know what's so ironic, if you haven't seen, someone needs to view the end of Kevin King's DVD Money Morph...

Where's one of most hilarious places he performs The Ultimate Bill Switch?


Answer:


~allen
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1339 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
That was a hoot! Keep em coming.
Glad you are back.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

Tracy Guillory [aka ProfessorWhut]
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
The ego has landed.

9 minutes of Craig spouting the bleeding obvious about the magic market.

Can't see the value in this at all.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5176 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Good to see you back and ranting away Craig. I'm not going to comment at all about production values, repetition, etc. I understand that it's not a big commercial endeavor; just a place and time for you to let us know what you think about some of the latest magic cra.. - err.. - products on the market. To me it sure beats the reviewers who insist on only publishing "good" reviews and ignoring the bad; I don’t need to see anymore of those.

So thank you and welcome back!!

Jim
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1314 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Merlin wrote:
I love seeing another review show. I also would like to see more than one product reviewed at a time.

You did mention that you would not buy the effect. Is it fair to review a product you have not had in your hands and worked on it? Just curious on that fact. Still loved the show.

And you need to stop poking yourself in the face constantly.

Phil


Thanks for the comments Phil. I brought the trick and played with it! What I meant to say is I wouldn't buy it in hindsight!

The poking thing is because I need new glasses as the ones I am using at the moment are loose! I'll try and sort that!

Cheers
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1314 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Ray Chelt wrote:
The ego has landed.

9 minutes of Craig spouting the bleeding obvious about the magic market.

Can't see the value in this at all.


Hey Ray. I think all magicians have an ego to a greater or lesser extent - I know I do.

Also what is obvious to you might not be obvious to someone less seasoned. But if you cannot see the value that's cool - I appreciate the feedback!

Craig (The Ego) Petty Smile
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1314 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks for all the comments (even Ray!)

Really appreciate it. I am the sort of guy that if I do something it has to be right. Although I have to balance that with the fact I am a busy guy as well!

Hopefully enough people want to hear what I have to say to make it worthwhile doing more!

Craig
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
5740 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Do not change your glasses. You've always done the 'poking yourself in the face' thing.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, Craig Petty wrote:
Thanks for all the comments (even Ray!)

Really appreciate it. I am the sort of guy that if I do something it has to be right. Although I have to balance that with the fact I am a busy guy as well!

Hopefully enough people want to hear what I have to say to make it worthwhile doing more!

Craig


I get that the "rants" are what you are known for Craig, but, if you are looking at doing a regular thing, maybe something a bit more educational would be helpful to people.

I rarely visit things like WPR anymore because they tend to be over extended reviews on products and you get a better perspective from the multitude of short concise comments like those on the Café.

Tell you what would be good and positive and would address the "toys" issue. Talking through some of the stuff that is a staple part of your routine e.g. What's your favourite card to wallet. Favourite packet trick etc.

All the best.
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Keep it up Craig! Glad you're back and happy to hear your views. It's going to take some episodes to find the correct rhythm, style. look, etc., but I'm sure you will find the way soon. My two-cents, keep the honesty and passion, because the magic scene definitely needs it. In my opinion though, you need to do at least three effects/tricks (preferably more). Keep your thoughts on each effect to 5 minutes or so. I'm thinking 4 effects each episode would be perfect if done weekly. Two newer effects, one classic effect, and one personal favorite old or new. Would be a great addition to the magic scene.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » 'Nothing But The Truth' by Craig Petty » » Craig Petty review show starts today (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL