The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Coin effects suitable for strolling (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Hi all, i''m looking for a good coin routine to improve my repertoire. I have Triad Coins and Imagination Coins but I only use imagination coins due to the bad angles for triad coins in a walk around situation. I'm thinking of getting a C/S coin set from Tango but would like to explore more options first. Considered Sucker Punch too but heard that the quality is bad. Appreciate if anyone can advise. Thanks!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2177 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Adding the sudden appearance of a jumbo coin is always a great way to create a sensational moment in any routine. For strolling, you just need to continue with a vanish of the coin, or at least shrink it back to regular size before strolling away. The jumbo coin can also be a climax in a matrix routine using cards and coins together.
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6558 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
For 65 years, when strolling, I've used "Coin-Go". (vanishing half dollar) Coin-Go drove the young magicians NUTS, at the Magic Castle.

I also use the "Pencil" coin vanish, and reappearance. It NEVER fails. It's in, a rather old book: (Tarbell).

John Scarne's "Copper/Silver" (Stars of Magic) is super strong, too.

My dear friend, the late J.B. Bobo, wrote up a "few", also. I like his Copper or Silver Penetration (thru a hdkf.), and his "Expansion of Texture", too.

But, obviously, I'm a bit, old fashioned! (I still use the Sudbury Big Penny, and the Kennedy "Bump Out" half dollar!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
856 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
If you are going to purchase a gaff, highly recommend either CSB or Hopping Half. Both can be purchased directly from Johnson Products, who provide good quality at a reasonable price.

Hudson
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Quarter App

I posted this on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on June 1, 2015.

So many people have cell phones today and this is a quick and amusing effect:

Effect

“Oh does that cell phone have the “quarter app”? you ask the confused spectator.

You’re curious so you take their phone in your right hand by its sides between your fingers and thumb and tell the spectator to hold out his – or her – hand. He or she does.

You hold the cell phone over the outstretched hand and your left hand taps the top of the phone and a quarter falls into the spectator’s hand.

“Oh it does. Isn’t it a great app?” you say as you walk away putting the cell on top of the quarter in the open hand letting the spectator keep the coin.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
595 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
This is my fav coin routine.... hope you like it

https://youtu.be/80jEfFpAW7s

Perfect for strolling. Instantly reset. Lots of magic going on!
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus and SIGMA
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1517 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I say, either take Dick's advice and learn more sleight routines from timeless books or, if you are purchasing a gaff, take Hudson's advice and get a C/S/B from Johnson. Johnson sets are affordable and very well made.

Or, as a third option, do both!
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Thanks all for the advice! will definitely check out some of these recommendations Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9417 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yep
Sounds like you need to buy a Bobos coin Magic (hard bound), all the David Roth DVDs on coins, Daryl's DVDs on coins.
But if you just want tricks
2 copper 1 silver
Hopping Halves give you the option of also doing a spellbound and other classic tricks.
I love Coin Thru Coin
Believe it or not, a lot of people forgot about a stack of quarters through hand where the spectator believes the quarters on top of your fist turn into dimes. And you can get even more involved then that.
And the all time winner is something like Scotch & Soda. There are 30 variations you can do with this set (you just need to go in a corner for 3 seconds to reset... Unless you have the version with a dollar and a English penny then you don't even need a ring and you can reset right in front of them)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11077 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I always recommend that a less experienced close-up guy, table-hopper, party-stroller, etc. learn to do coin tricks with ungimmicked coins first. The inclination is to start with the more self-working, magic shop, gaffed coin tricks, because in most cases they are easier to do (not all, but most). Granted, the effects are often outstanding, because there are some things that simply cannot be done without certain gimmicks, or far more work than you need to invest at the moment.

My reasoning is that less experienced magicians often cannot handle the heat from the fire of such intimate performing conditions. Spectators like to touch, especially intriguing and unusual objects. Coins, particularly foreign coins fall right in the middle of that genre. Most of the time, there is no malice intended. They are simply curious.

Controlling a performance situation is something that is usually an acquired skill. The performer needs to do this in order to 1) prevent such situations from occurring initially, and 2) stop them if they do happen, without creating a challenge scenario. A spectator's suspicion will be raised if they think the magician is suddenly playing "keep-away" with his props.

So, my recommendation is to first learn a few tricks using ungimmicked coins. Good examples are (some already mentioned above) Copper/Silver Transposition, Expansion of Texture, Coins Across, Coins Through Table, Coins in Glass, Spellbound, One-Coin Routine (referred to as "Flurry" by David Roth)...

Even tricks using an extra coin are better than one using gaffed coins.

Once these become comfortable set pieces, move on to coin effects that utilize gimmicks, but perhaps not the entire time. Tricks such as involving a C/S coin can be done in such a manner that the trick starts with regular coins, then a gimmick is "rung-in", and then "rung-out" again before the routine ends. Pocket switches are a great, easy way to do this.

The nice thing about doing something like this, is that you CAN hand the coins to someone in the beginning.. not to INSPECT, but rather to SEE. This satisfies their curiosity... not as to whether these are "trick coins" or not, but simply as to what they are. Now the heat is off. Ringing in a gimmicked coin in the middle of such a routine will fly right by them. If you can also then switch them out again before the end of the trick, so much the better. Should anyone want to see them... you are totally clean! Smile

Gimmicked coins are fine. There are many wonderful gaffs available. But, using them in the best way involves more than just knowing how they work. It's also knowing how the spectators' minds work.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2550 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Michael Baker sums it up nicely. I'll add that the real secret to coin magic is the routine. You can do the best French Drop in the world and you'll still get "it's in the other hand". It's the routine that fools them.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11077 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Michael Baker sums it up nicely. I'll add that the real secret to coin magic is the routine. You can do the best French Drop in the world and you'll still get "it's in the other hand". It's the routine that fools them.

Bingo! In a nutshell, take their thoughts forward so they don't go backward.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18318 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never really been a fan of coin work. Well I should qualify that statement. I have never been a fan of MY coin work. Coins look disproportionate in my hands unless they are silver dollars.

Coins are a natural go to. Everyone has or had them, they are easy to carry and if you can handle them they are beautiful.

David Roth has some DVD's that are outstanding. I personally would recommend you not look for a routine. Not at first. Learn how to do the moves. Get them just perfect. This is a tedious process but I promise you that you will NOT REGRET IT!

Now once you have put in the heavy lifting, think of something cool. Think of a magical routine YOU would like to see. Then use your skills to do it. This creates routines and effects that mean something to you and by extension the spectator. It is the long road and the road less traveled.

Have fun!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2550 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Danny,

Just to clarify. Are you advising beginners to not look at routines but just learn moves and create their own routines?

Or are you advising them to learn the moves then study classic routines and then create their own?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18318 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think that at first just learning moves works. Then once you have the ability doing classic routines and then moving to creating your own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of langston3711
I have always enjoyed using Digital Dissolve by BJ Bueno. It's is an extremely well made prop and very visual transformation. I also use Daniel Garcia's Personal Safe and Cameron Francis' Copper Silver routine from his Penguin Lecture. These 2 routines incorporate a spectators borrowed finger ring and the reactions are always better when you can use borrowed objects.
dennye
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of dennye
I usually just do a false transfer to make a 50 cent piece vanish and then I pull out a duplicate coin out of the opposite side pocket after showing that hand empty.
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18487 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
IMHO the best strolling coin trick can be seen here
https://youtu.be/sbGWKc6V2vM
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JonathanW
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Look into doing some impromptu one coin stuff.Muscle pass the coin that falls up is great, I do it all the time. The main routine I always do is just taking a coin, vanishing it. Show both hands empty. Make it appear again. Very direct and people like it Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7400 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think that at first just learning moves works. Then once you have the ability doing classic routines and then moving to creating your own.

Right on! With about six basic moves/sleights mastered you can do hundreds of effects with 'found' objects such as candy, coffee creamers, coins, bottle caps, finger ring, stones, etc.
These can naturally chain together into a routine based on the setting and attention of the audience.
"there is real merit in the magician who tries to be creative – from such endeavors magic sustains its life energy." Harold Rice

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Coin effects suitable for strolling (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.63 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL