The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What is all this obsession with Cards (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Sidney A. Salmans
Right, I agree. There are many tricks in which the borders are not an issue. Some decks were actually created for the purpose of card cheating - like Bee Backs.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

As far as the collecting goes, one set of cards that I love is the Vintage Bicycle cards. Makes me imagine being back in the old days when those cards were first printed. They also can lend to an old nostalgic theme presentation.
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
I'm deal in mentalism by way of oracles, most often cartomancy - I love having a ton of different decks to choose from depending on mood, season, the event I'm working or anything like that. I don't buy EVERY new deck that's released but if I like it I do, and I like a lot of them... There have been some beautiful decks released on Kickstarter lately...

~Dave
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, JackMagic wrote:
Very interesting I just did a search on eBay and pages and pages of the rare Gold Monarchs

With a wide range of prices

Only problem is not one of them has a single bid , as stated fine if collecting for hobby but I can't see anything that proves its a good investment or anything at all to do with Magic

A more interesting search would be on the range of prices that recently *sold* listings have gone for. You can change the search to do this by checking a box on the right: "Completed" listings. As some have said, people often wait until the eleventh hour on ebay.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

I just noticed on the Bicycle site that they have some new card decks that have a foil color with what looked like the standard back design.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I sometimes think of the deck you perform with as being like the font you use in a document. It has a subtle influence on the way that a person perceives the overall piece, yet unless it is a really weird font most people won't register it at all. It's almost a tone of voice thing. I would never buy a deck as an investment personally, not because of any profit or loss but because I'd want to *use* the thing!

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
While I'm not really into cards, I can appreciate how others may be. We all have our areas of interest, things we are intrigued with, appreciate for artistic or other reasons, or like to collect.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:

A more interesting search would be on the range of prices that recently *sold* listings have gone for. You can change the search to do this by checking a box on the right: "Completed" listings. As some have said, people often wait until the eleventh hour on ebay.

Just now [4:22pm UK] I did that

Completed listings for limited edition playing cards

Of top 25 listing only one had got any bids - and sold for £14 [it was brand new and in wrap still]

I checked and it was a KS and sold for $15 [with $15 shipping] - so $30

I suppose if they bought multi packs they may have made almost a £1 on the ebay sale

It looks like none of the more expensive cards seem to sell

My guess is there's not much market for them - as there are always newer 'limited' edition packs you can buy new ['quick before the sell out'] - so the sell on market is almost non-exisitent [?]
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I think it might depend on what country you're in.
I've just done a search (12:45 EST), and see a lot over $30. http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Gold-Monarch-V2-Deck-Theory11-Playing-Cards-/201865171008?hash=item2f001a1040:g:uFYAAOSwopRYhTZc, through http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Monarchs-Playing-Cards-/332176803475?hash=item4d5747c693:g:8iAAAOSwjDZYiKYb, with a bunch in between.

I'm not defending it in any way (I'd never spend that much for a set), but it does appear that there are a few who are willing to. /shrug
mayhem
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of mayhem
I love collecting cards for the enjoyment of it. Any collection will be a risk as an investment. When I was a kid, I collected Sports cards, and same thing... cards listed high that never sell... etc...

It's a hobby and I will continue to buy the cards that interest me. If I wasn't into magic, I wouldn't have this same obsession with collecting decks of cards.

When Kickstarter started up, and there were a few people doing custom cards on it, it was great. You got to see some new ideas and I backed a lot of projects early on. As time passed, it has become over flooded with designs, and I've lost interest in backing projects unless it's from a creator that I have liked their previous works and they haven't went down the road of just making money on card designs. One company, I backed their first 8 designs, and the first 6 were good. After that, they seemed rushed and were garbage, so I stopped supporting them.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
There are lots of people who are into cards, and a whole lot of them are not magicians - but since magicians use cards quite often, we're a market.

Personally, I think it is GREAT to have lots of choices. Many of the decks have interesting back designs that are not only attractive, some (for example) have backs that are based on classic works of fiction - something a magician can capitalize on, should the desire arise. Variety is a good thing, whether one is a magician, someone who collects cards, or someone who sees a deck that he/she thinks is nice. Last year I was in a musical production of "Jekyll & Hyde". I discovered that there was a pretty nice looking deck of cards based on that story.

What do they have to do with magic? Whatever a magician thinks might enhance an effect.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I must be one of few that agree with Jack , if you look at the messages from
Steve Brook we have had a "Limited " new set of cards for the last 3 days
SandwichMan
View Profile
New user
Myrtle Beach
77 Posts

Profile of SandwichMan
I used to collect for investing. (Who remembers when the Red, Blue, and Brown Wynn decks first came out? $5 to begin with. I sold my Brown Wynns for $40 a deck a few years later). Nowadays, it's not much of an investment practice, but just for collecting (like how the original poster compared it with stamp collecting).

I don't buy too much anymore. If I go to Wal Mart and see a new deck for like $4 or $5, I'll buy it just because.

I only perform with cheap decks. I see these videos of magicians performing with those $8+ decks and am like "Dang."
Music is meaningless if it cannot be FELT be cannot it if meaningless is magic.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Simply, it sells for money and I know there are quite number of people / magic shop rely on that mainly for their business.

From my memory it start seems like Ellusionist begin such era from those black tiger, follow by Magic Makers Black Bicycle, then some custom decks from Japanese magicians, and then comes with Blaine series all sorts, follow with D&D Smoke and Mirrors and many others.

Now anyone can design and get money via Kickstart of simply use a blank back with a sharpie can sell paper for money, simple.

I only use Red / Blue Bicycle, Phoneix and cards made by Legends / Expert Playing Card Co in the last 5 years, and I am happy.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Cards are/can be aesthetically pleasing - after all, they're just little pictures.
They can also be extensions of one's persona/personality.
Variety is fun - why so many colours of sponge balls.
Cardistry/card juggling can look better with different cards.

Personally, I've yet to find my ideal card design.
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Profile of ManchurianMan83
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, Martin.Lester wrote:
I must be one of few that agree with Jack , if you look at the messages from
Steve Brook we have had a "Limited " new set of cards for the last 3 days

I would argue then that that itself is the real problem here.

It's not that there are so many decks out there, it's that we're being private messaged every single time there is a new one out.

I like collecting the odd fancy looking cards, not religiously but every now and then, but I will admit it is kind of annoying to log on here almost every other day it seems, see I have a 'private message' (which could be important, like a query or concern by another forum member) only to find out it's yet another deck announcement.

One day I might just stop checking it (it'll be another deck announcement right?) and could end up missing someones genuine PM.
I do find Private Message advertising to be particularly invasive.
Spam e-mails I expect..that's par for the course.
But not Private Messages (usually reserved for contacting members directly) practically every other day advertising a product by the creator of the forum no less.

I would argue the problem is less about what people like to do in their spare time (collect cards) but that it's currently affecting everyone across the board due to the frequent PM's.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I have had the same thoughts about PMs

I keep thinking it might be something important

I'm actually thinking I hope it's not another spam advert PM

It's like Xmas

I get all excited and then ...it's just a pair of socks... well no, worse than that, I'm expected to buy them

I was thinking of trying to disable PMs

The other annoying thing is that Murphy's magic advert

Fine on pC

But on my phone/ipad I have so often clicked through trying to close the silly thing

It seems to click through a certain amount of the time that you try and close it

Annoying for me

And I am sure costing MM money for each click through

Not their fault - but as I associate MM with being annoyed, I won't buy from them

likewise - I never open any of the advert spam PMs and wouldn't buy anything in them

The other problem is often I am on the tube [underground] - so getting taken to MM or an in box full of spam, might be the last page I can open, so I get nothing to read off the site on my journey

Grrr
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, Karl M wrote:
I got loads of different designer and limted edition packs mate and like to look at them and some times I buy two packs and open one to do my moves with it and collect the other one of it,I like collecting them and some of it is investment becauae it will definately be worth more in the future so if you got the money to buy them I say why not

I bet you do that because you are more into the business side now.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, Karl M wrote:
some of it is investment becauae it will definately be worth more in the future

err what business is it you are into [?]

It's my legal duty to inform everyone not to base their expectations of future results on past performance, or some bloke who spends 6k a year in Blackpool... I mean can any one person, in 12 months, really get through that many sticks of rock [?]
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
My dentist endorses this message
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What is all this obsession with Cards (39 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL