The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Preserving Mystery by Jamy Ian Swiss (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......trilogy/

Got an email about this newest book. Although I don't currently have any of his books, I do know who he is and that his writing is respectable. I have not seen any buzz on the new book in the "Latest and Greatest" (but a book requires reading and is usually not "Trick of the week" material) so I thought I would try here.

I did a search and came up empty on his first two books from this set. Has anyone already reviewed them in the past, or care to share a bit about them? The take I am getting is that they are not really books with new effects to be learned but essays on a few key moves and info on presentation and looking "differently" at the magic you do. Almost along the lines of "Strong Magic" and "Designing Miracles" by Darwin Ortiz. Am I correct?

Also, if someone could break down the two previous book as far as "who they are for" (mentalists, close up card guys, stand up / parlor, stage...) or who they lean more towards. I am just looking for a starting point as I just picked up 3 highly recommended books this month at great prices and I already have at least 2 more books on my "gonna get soon" list.
(The books that should arrive this week are "Drawing Room Deceptions" "Jennings 67" and "52 Memories" my gonna get soon are "Secrets of Brother John Hamman" and "Confident Deceptions") <-- to give an idea of what I like to read presently. Lots of card stuff, not afraid of the hard stuff, yet I do like nice "worker" effects that play out fun and don't necessarily have to be knucklebusters.

Thanks in advance Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
I had Shattering Illusions and loved it. No tricks whatsoever (which I prefer). Theory and commentary on the world of magic. Great writer. Opinionated but backs it up with experience, facts, and reason. To sample his writing style I strongly recommend you read his weekly posts on the Magicana site under Lyons Den. Hope that helps!
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I ordered the basic set from Vanishing Inc, and got sent the deluxe set.

I immediately contacted them, and they made me a great offer so I could keep the deluxe numbered set (#43 of 250)

Still haven't had a chance to break them open.

Dave
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
It happened to me in the past. I had made a huge order at L&L publishing and I had received deluxe set of Pallbear's and The cardwright instead of the basic ones.
It was the golden age of L&L.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Swiss doesn't make unanimity but his essays are always insightful and have the potential to initiate personal thoughts.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I'm missing his reviews in Genii.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
You got a good deal then Boomer because the 4th book (of reviews over the years) is not for sale any other way that with the deluxe set.

Rachmaninov, "Missing his reviews in Genii?" I thought he still does them. I have a digital subscription to Genii and have read some (although I don't recall how far back the issues were as I have access to every Genii since the beginning). Did he stop recently?

As I stated in the original post, I am familiar with his writing style, I am just wondering if "All 3" books are going to appeal to me as a "Close Up only" (cards, coins, rubber bands, chop cup... basic close up but no stage and little of what I would even consider a parlor size show) kind of entertainer. If one of the books was focussed mostly on mentalism or stage magic, I probably would just skip that one. But if it also had a relevant amount of close up still, it may still be worth picking up. This is where my inquiry is pointed.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I ordered the deluxe 4 book set, awaiting delivery.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Rachmaninov, "Missing his reviews in Genii?" I thought he still does them. I have a digital subscription to Genii and have read some (although I don't recall how far back the issues were as I have access to every Genii since the beginning). Did he stop recently?

I believe he was dumped as Genii reviewer after publicly talking smack about Genii editor Richard Kaufman at the first Genii convention.

I feel this loss, since I learned an enormous amount of magical history and contemporary culture/context from his reviews, and I believe they contributed a great deal to Genii's status. But after seeing him live this January at Columbus Magi-Fest, my conclusion is that he may be best experienced on the page.

He's currently writing articles and reviews for David Ben's Magicana.com:

http://www.magicana.com/blog-category/lyons-den
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I didn't know the reasons but Jamy is not doing books review since a long time.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
In Genii I mean. Thanks for the magicana link, very interesting things. David Ben is awesome, and not in the star system of our little world, which I appreciate a lot because he has more time to write wonderful books Smile
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I was a huge Jamy Ian Swiss fan before seing him for the first time at The Session in january. His lecture there I had to walk out on because I felt sorry for him. I know others did as well. Same at Magi Fest. Just can read his books with the same enthusiasm as before. I will buy his new book though. Mainly because of the chapters on some of his heroes. Specially on Michael Skinner.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
The problem with Jamy seems to be a recent one. I've heard he was a great performer. Maybe a personal difficulty.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I think it has been going on for white a while, according to others.

He also did a talk on mental magic vs mentalism that I thought he shouldn't have done
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I feel like Tim Cavendish wrote earlier in this thread:

"But after seeing him live this January at Columbus Magi-Fest, my conclusion is that he may be best experienced on the page."
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Nothing wrong with a controversial point of view, especially if you back up your opinion so it can be counterpointed. I read thru quite a bit of his stuff on the blog and like the topics he chooses and his writing style.

Smile Smile
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of drjohn
That's sad to hear?... I saw him many years ago at the Davenport's centenary and his was super slick and his sleight of hand was frankly perfect.
He did a version of the ambitious card where it visually moved to the top and a fantastic signed card to matchbook which was brilliant. So I'm really shocked to hear he was
So bad at the sessions which I wasn't able to attend.... so what exactly was the ussue was his sleight of hand bad?
May your darkness come quickly
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
I bought this collection. I find his writing to be above the rest, opinionated, useful. Having said that I was not impressed with the one time I saw him at The Magic Castle, but as they say in acting "Those that can't act teach". Mind you, he has the chops. I just didn't prefer his style. I think his books are a great addition to the art of magic.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I disagree with this aphorism : those that can't act teach". It is true for a lot of people but a lot remain who are performing and teaching. Teaching is very demanding and you just like it or not.
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
I haven't seen Jamy perform, but I absolutely LOVE his writing. I found Preserving Mystery to be an outstanding and stimulating read which stirred me to think more carefully about my magic and more. You can read my review (which is rather more detailed and breaks down the content a bit for those who are still unsure) here: http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/2017/06/2......-review/
http://www.morethanmagic.co.uk

It's not what you do but the way that you do it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Preserving Mystery by Jamy Ian Swiss (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL