The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Jennings 67 (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I finally picked up this great book (so far) but have read rave reviews so I am confident I will not be let down. I already have read thru "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings" and "The Cardwright" (Neoclassics just doesn't seem to be for me). I read in the 67 book that two more were to follow. "Mr Jennings Takes it Easy" and "Mr Jennings Takes it Tough". I googled both and came up short with just a couple references on Magicpedia that led nowhere really. Anyone have any info on if they still may make an appearance?

Back to "Jennings 67", What are some effects or sleights that stand out? Any favorites? (I will add mine when I get thru it). "Drawing Room Deceptions", "52 Memories" and "Jennings 67" all arrived over a 2 day period and I can't help jumping around right now. All are fantastic reads so far.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Kaufman was having trouble with the pre illustration photos in Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy and only recently acquired some help with this. It appears this book is back on track. It may get published before the end of this year.

Jennings 67 has a great history and write up of the Invisible Palm Aces. It includes Jennings final version of this trick and also a stand up version which is a great parlor effect.

There is also interesting work on the Princess Card Trick.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The next book, "Mr. Jennings Take It Easy," will be published later this year (2020). All photos have been taken and synched with the text.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Now being laid out!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
That is great news. Are you thinking summer or fall release? I will try not to get excited for sooner Smile

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2020, Richard Kaufman wrote:
The next book, "Mr. Jennings Take It Easy," will be published later this year (2020). All photos have been taken and synched with the text.

Really? Awesome news! Was having a talk with a friend two weeks ago about the books we wanna see published, the Jennings book was one of them. Really looking forward.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Wondering if Jennings 67 has gone out of print? I’m having trouble finding it. I’ve heard great things about the book and so I’m interested in picking it up - just not for the $900+ I saw it on Amazon for!
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2020, Richard Kaufman wrote:

Excellent news!!
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Don’t take amazon prices seriously, we all have seen silly things worthing one dollar on sale for one thousand !
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Also, people are asking premium prices for the Roth book and Richard is supposed to be re-releasing it soon. Was scheduled for this year but I can certainly wait another 6 months or so on top of that to not spend $200 or more. I saw people selling the Dingle book as OOP and $100 plus for it. I called Genii (a year or so back) and talked to his assistant and got one of the last 3 copies for like $50 new. It wasn't OOP, just out of stock at magic shops. I see Trickery Treats (the blue card craft series book) on eBay as OOP and higher prices. I just got the last copy for $45 delivered (ordered today) from Richard's assistant.

Also, great news. They are working on a website with all his books that are separate from Genii and hope to have it soon. I have searched for a long time for a copy of "Card Craft" which I know brings $300 plus on the Café as well as eBay. I found a "used copy" at a "very fair" price (under the norm) shipped from Australia by a legitimate magic shop. I finally have both of my "White Whales" (Card Craft and all 4 Apocolypse books).

Don't let eBay and Amazon price us out. Keep looking and there is a good chance over time you too can find your "White Whale". People were paying $200 and up just months before "Mnemonica" was recently reprinted.

Smile Smile
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Always a risk for buyers and for speculators that a reprint will happen. People hoarded The Books of Wonder and sold them for huge prices. Then Hermetic reprinted them without notice sticking the hoarders with a huge loss. Same with the Daryl Omnibus book. Carney's Book of Secrets can go for big money but he is claiming he will reprint finally so that should kill that off. Kaplan's Fine Art of Magic cost serious money on the used market until Lybrary decided to update and reprint it.

Any book, with the possible exception of the Harbin book (and even that will become public domain at some point) can find their way back on the market if the demand is there. I think of all the people who snapped up the first run of the Johnny Thompson books thinking Magicana wouldn't do another run....womp womp....
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I don’t think that speculating in the magic books market is a good thing for our art. It prevents serious magicians to have their hands in some good books.

I purchased two books of the same volume of The magic castle notebook. I waited and I was feeling bad about it. So eventually I gave this volume to someone for free.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 4, 2020, Rachmaninov wrote:
I don’t think that speculating in the magic books market is a good thing for our art. It prevents serious magicians to have their hands in some good books.

I purchased two books of the same volume of The magic castle notebook. I waited and I was feeling bad about it. So eventually I gave this volume to someone for free.

I don’t think you should have felt bad. Even if you sold it later rather than being generous enough to give one away. I have more than one copy of a few books. It is nice to know if I spill my coffee all over it or something terrible happens to it. I would be very happy I had that back up. Many magicians who are big “book fans” have 2 copies of many books. One to “display” on the bookshelf as a collector and one is a “reader copy”. I have bought many “used books” that don’t look like they were ever cracked open before I got them. I imagine there are a few “speculators” out there but we have such a limited market overall, I don’t think they are living it up in the Bahamas on the money they made off of magic books.

There are also legitimate used magic book sellers out there who buy and sell regularly along with handling the selling of magic estate book collections (that is no easy task. A friend passed a couple years back and between 3 of us actively working on selling his items for his wife who had no idea what anything was worth, many travel miles to magic auction meetings and magic flea markets we still didn’t get rid of it all, but she was well compensated thru us and our efforts).

Magic books are not cheap and a lot of people only get one or two items they like from a book and decide to sell it. Just like DVDs and gimmick “prop tricks” buyers jump the gun and soon realize it is not their style so they sell on the used market. Books, DVDs effects, mentalist items and stage illusions all have just that - a secondary used market where deals can be found. I however, don’t think it reaches the level of “speculators and market strategists”.

Smile Smile
Lucas Maillard
View Profile
New user
Paris
25 Posts

Profile of Lucas Maillard
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2020, magic.99 wrote:
Wondering if Jennings 67 has gone out of print? I’m having trouble finding it. I’ve heard great things about the book and so I’m interested in picking it up - just not for the $900+ I saw it on Amazon for!

There are several copies available on Abebooks : https://www.abebooks.fr/servlet/SearchRe......s-_-used

Hope this helps,

L.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Good points Poof Daddy.

I’ve thought in the past about purchasing two copies of certain books, one for display and one for study. But my budget doesn’t allow me to do so.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Jennings '67 is out of print (the first printing lasted 23 years).

Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy will come out during the summer or fall, I expect. Am almost finished going through the layout and making corrections. It's about 580 pages.

During the pandemic I have been writing the third book, Mr. Jennings Takes it Tough, and I'm about halfway through at 280 pages.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
That’s great news Richard. Hopefully, others are also taking advantage of the downtime and finishing some other books. I will save my money for summer (or fall).

Smile Smile
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
What a wonderful tribute to Jenning this trilogy will make ! Thanks Richard for doing that daunting job !
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On May 12, 2020, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Jennings '67 is out of print (the first printing lasted 23 years).

Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy will come out during the summer or fall, I expect. Am almost finished going through the layout and making corrections. It's about 580 pages.

During the pandemic I have been writing the third book, Mr. Jennings Takes it Tough, and I'm about halfway through at 280 pages.
Great news!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings was the first magic book I acquired and I still read it now and then. Signed in person by Mr Jennings at my first magic convention. Aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Jennings 67 (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL