The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mediums - Here I go (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
Alan? Didn't I tell the story?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 6, 2017, jstreiff wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, the best place to get an understanding of the arguments for and against survival and therefore the potential viability of mediumship, is to examine actual case histories and analyses. Not TV shows.

The book by Leslie Keene previously cited is one example, another is 'Immortal Remains' by Dr. Stephen Braude. Focus on the reported cases, many of which can be independently verified.

I'M THINKING OF PURCHASING THE KEENE BOOK .. IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
I just bought the book- looking forward to it
Here is info on title from amazon
Leslie Kean
Surviving Death: A Journalist Investigates Evidence for an Afterlife
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think if you get told that a recipe book is life changing, so you study it avidly and it as a valuable document...it seems strange if the author then tells you to ignore the ingredients or starts to use different terminology when you meet them...
I've asked to be banned
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
IAIN: did you meet Leslie Kean? If so can you provide more of the story?
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Nervebreaker, if I placed an object in a sealed box and your wife asked any available spirit to tell her what was in the box. If she was able to relay the correct answer that would convince me.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
Never tried something like that. I did ask for lottery numbers and they said they didn't do things like that.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Why would an unseen spirit know the future?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
Because they don't have time as a limitation. And say one of my potential paths was to win the lottery. Maybe they could look over my shoulder Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On May 7, 2017, kinesis wrote:
Nervebreaker, if I placed an object in a sealed box and your wife asked any available spirit to tell her what was in the box. If she was able to relay the correct answer that would convince me.

I seriously doubt that would.

You would try to figure out how Nervebreaker got the info.

Or else, you would just ascribe it to a lucky guess.

I know how the skeptical-debunker mind works.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On May 7, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Quote:

I think that is a little unfair. No where in this thread is there any sneering or dismissive comments made to Bob regarding his stories. It would certainly go a long way to convince me. I am a "sceptical - debunker", if you want to assign me a title, however, I don't think you know how my mind works. If I say it would go a long way to convince me, then I mean it.

Bob, would you mind trying this experiment with your wife and her guides, please?
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On May 7, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Quote:

That's unfair Philemon. I don't think it's your place to make such assumptions about me or my thoughts. I would make sure that only I and one other knew the contents of the box. If the medium was able to correctly tell me the contents I wouldn't put it down to a lucky guess as the contents would be VERY random indeed and not within the realms of a calculated guess.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
Couple of comments : I'm not offended by the recent comments and thought it would be an interesting idea- the sealed box. I do however have doubts that they would find any value in doing "parlour tricks" for our benefit. They have in the past given her guidance for where to look for a lost or misplaced item of significance to my wife. But this wouldn't pass that test. But I can ask.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I hope it works out. I sincerely do. This would be as far removed from a 'parlour trick' as you could possibly get. In actual fact, it would merit some serious investigation, and make a lot of us reassess what we once thought true.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
So I'm speed reading /scanning the Leslie Kean book and it reminded me of a phenomenon that directly impacted me. Though I was aware my dad was in the hospital as he had been a year previously I was not thinking about him as I was at work. I was changing my badge at a security checkpoint I felt like I had been hit in the head like I was slapped but no one was there and it wasn't a physical blow but staggered me nonetheless. I had the sense to look at my watch and note the time. I sat at my desk and maybe am hour and a half later my sister in law called which was unusual. She had a reason to call but was very uncomfortable trying to get to it. I blurted out, Did my dad die?" She paused and said "yes". I immediately asked, "what time?" She wasn't sure, probably over an hour ago.
After I had a chance I asked my mother when he died and told her about my experience. She said that it was about 15-20 minutes later that he died from my experience. So I set it aside till we got the dead certificate, the time of death recorded was the same minute as I had that psychic blast. Never had anything like that before or after that time in my life.
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
I started listening to an interview with the author of Surviving Death so it sounded interesting enough to share. http://everything-else-show.com/04-03-20......terlife/
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
Reading through this book is reminding me of some first hand experiences with seeing spirits. The main incident I encountered was when wife was out of town. I was in the hallway near the guest bathroom and saw what I thought was a black mist or smoke entering her office. I was doing a double take, did I really see that? At the same moment I saw our formally feral hunter street cat following it in to her office. This category was never seen in her office, he was my cat for sure. But it was obvious the cat saw it to based on his behavior.
I called my wife and started to tell her and said yes it was there but it's been dispatched by the Archangels that I asked to get rid of it. She said they are stationing angels at the four corners of our house and it will be fine.
So that's my main personal experience.

There was also a period of time where I could see some of the spirit cats walking across my computer keyboard, along the hearth etc. We did ask why I was suddenly seeing them and we were told it was to show me that I did have some gifts in this area and it wasn't just my wife.
I'll still see glimpses from time to time. My wife opened a closet one time and saw a small orange tabby scamper out and she exclaimed, Alley what we're you doing in there" and then she remembered she was dead.
One clue I tell people to think about if you think you are being visited by someone you know well, you may feel your body reacting the same way it did when they were alive. In my case it's usually my mother. We spent a number of hours together working in kitchen preparing a meal after dad was passed. Their was a special warm glow I felt spending that time with her. From time to time I will get that warm glow and those memories will wash over me. My belief is it is my body reacting to her spirit in the same manner as it always did before even when my intellectual part of me is not seeing or hearing anything that I can detect.
The book is probably better evidence than anything I'll be able to convey.
Bob
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
So I finished my very fast scan and read of parts of the book and it's very well done in my opinion. Of course, I was familiar with a number of the general experiences she reported on and since I'm already a believer I can judge if it would convince anyone on its own. The first hand experiences are so powerful and I can't see a book having that same level of impact.

It did reinforce how for the true medium that it's a lose - lose situation.
1. Outcome could be that every test leads to another test as every skeptic will reject previous tests as not rigourus enough and they need to take Their test in order for it to be valid. This goes on forever until the medium grows tired of the charade and then is dismissed as being shown to be a fraud.
2. Or Testing is considered valid by enough people that the medium becomes a lab rat and their world and family life is turned upside down, never to return to a "normal" life again.

Who would choose to play this game?
Night all,
Bob
nervebreaker
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of nervebreaker
Can't judge it should read
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
For me, it would need to be something simple. Something like my mum's maiden name, the name of her pet and the animal it was.
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mediums - Here I go (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL