The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring and rope routines (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Station10
View Profile
New user
Indiana
94 Posts

Profile of Station10
I've been working on developing a routine with a 4" ring and rope. If anyone has any suggestions on moves to add or a source for additional information whether it is a book, DVD or video I'd appreciate it. I believe I have most of the basic moves down but am looking to add some more advanced moves.

Thanks!
John Gilmore

"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." ~ Harry Houdini

"To Strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield!"
~ Alfred Tennyson
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2320 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Consider using a Jardine Ellis ring if you haven't yet tried it. It's smaller than your 4" ring, but who says the ring can't grow or shrink as you work with it?
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
Station10
View Profile
New user
Indiana
94 Posts

Profile of Station10
My concern is that if I try to do any stage performances that the smaller ring won't be visible enough? Is that a problem for anyone else?
John Gilmore

"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." ~ Harry Houdini

~ Alfred Tennyson
Boomer
View Profile
Veteran user
San Ramon, CA
391 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Where can I get a Jardine Ellis ring/rings? I don't want the cheap plastic Chazpro one. I see Magic Warehouse has it, but I've never dealt with them, so no idea how respected they are.

Dave
Boomer
View Profile
Veteran user
San Ramon, CA
391 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Just finally got Daves Killer Magic shop site to come up. He has the Chazpro brass ring, any advice?

I have a 20% coupon from Chazpro, which brings the Gemini brass ring to $24 with free shipping.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, just waiting on you fantastic people.

Dave
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20185 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Boomer, looks like you picked a bad time to get an Ellis Ring. Johnson Products was the best, but I see they are no longer available. This is the 3rd time I have looked on their website and they have taken the listing of the products off their lists. I wonder if they are going out of business because of all the foreign competition.

There use to be an India made Chrome Ellis Ring as well on the market, it was made like the old Tannen Magic version, not real deceptive, and perfectionist would not like them, but they worked very well. I could not find those available either on Internet websites. They included a booklet of routines with the $8 ring.

Magic Warehouse is great magic website, and they actually have a brick and motar store. I have dealt with them for many years. What their listing does not state is, who is the manufacturer. You can call them, and they go out of their way to help. I am sure they would list it as a Johnson Product if it was a Johnson Product.

The brass Ellis Rings work best with Ribbon, do to the close fit. But they can be used with a Rope, Ribbon, Wand, and thumb.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20185 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 2, 2017, Station10 wrote:
I've been working on developing a routine with a 4" ring and rope. If anyone has any suggestions on moves to add or a source for additional information whether it is a book, DVD or video I'd appreciate it. I believe I have most of the basic moves down but am looking to add some more advanced moves.

Thanks!

Here is Phil Willmarth lecture notes on the ring and rope, some good stuff in this booklet.

https://magicmethodsonline.com/p/rope-ma......re-notes

Also get David Williamson DVD, he has a very good ring and rope routine.

There are others, but they are scattered around in other publications.

Station10
View Profile
New user
Indiana
94 Posts

Profile of Station10
Thank you very much Bill! It looks like we are almost neighbors. I'm just a little bit away from you up in LaGrange County.
John Gilmore

~ Alfred Tennyson
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6904 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Bill has given you the real stuff!

Phil Willmarth was a dear friend. I remember well, his FILE of material on ring & rope!.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Boomer
View Profile
Veteran user
San Ramon, CA
391 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Thanks Bill & Dick, you two never cease to amaze me. I hope I'm able to pay it forward.

Dave
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20185 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 3, 2017, Station10 wrote:
Thank you very much Bill! It looks like we are almost neighbors. I'm just a little bit away from you up in LaGrange County.

Before I-69 was built, I use to drive through LaGrange going to Abbott's Magic in Colon, MI. It was a nice trip, taking US 3 - 6 - 9 through Sturgis, MI., 2.5 Hr. trip on way. Now taking I-69, I can get to Colon, MI, in 1.25 Hrs.

Boomer
View Profile
Veteran user
San Ramon, CA
391 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I grew up in Holland, MI and Colon was just over 2hrs away, so didn't get there more than a couple times.

Last time I was there was 15yrs ago or so for the Close-up convention, got to meet some really great magicians.
(I was in the area for work, so was able to swing it, glad I did)

Dave
Station10
View Profile
New user
Indiana
94 Posts

Profile of Station10
I'm lucky enough to live just a little over half an hour away from Colon. I spent my weekends as a teenager going up to Abbott's to spend my meager paychecks. Used to attend all the conventions but took a 20+ year hiatus but am getting back into it this year and looking forward to the get-together this August.
John Gilmore

~ Alfred Tennyson
Station10
View Profile
New user
Indiana
94 Posts

Profile of Station10
Bill, Thanks again. I just ordered the Phil Willmarth lecture notes.
John Gilmore

~ Alfred Tennyson
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Phil Willmarth - EXCELLENT booklet! It is necessary to note that Aldo Colombini (DVD) - Used this booklet for themselves as a learning material. Much of what he taught on his DVD, specifically from this booklet.
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2320 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Don't forget the "Slave Bangle" principle, where each end of the rope is tied to your wrists and the ring then is tossed onto the center of the rope. That might make a good finale.
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
Scott Horn
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, TX
276 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Get the Worlds Greatest Magic "Ring on Rope" DVD. This has a variety of routine and moves you can mix and match.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7576 Posts

Profile of funsway
My favorite of the moment is "Linking Hearts" that starts off the Ring on Rope effects and changes to Linking Rings with amazing twists and effects not possible with a normal set.

The one approach seems to enhance the other. Since the first effects involve the assistance of spectators hold both rope and ring,
I present the theory the the rings are being trained with their support, i.e. they are imparting magic to the rings. They also have the impression of having handled all four rings.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1207 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Regarding Jardine Ellis rings, check with Williams Magic. They often have things in stock that others don't. Call and talk on the phone and tell Emory I said hello.

Patrick
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
53 Posts

Profile of David_N
There are some nice ring (bangle size) and rope moves on Daryl's rope magic videos. Also Lewis Ganson produced a booklet with a routine as well as editing 'Rinks rope and ring penetrations', by Supreme Magic; long since gone but might crop up on sales forums , Ebay etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring and rope routines (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL