The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penguin Lecture (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Fortune8 can be found in the eBook Paper Prophecies, it is not included as a download with the lecture.
If you get this book, you also get the PDF for Thaumatrope (which was shown in the lecture), as well as a 7 Deadly Sins routine.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Hey, BCE. The download that's available with my Penguin Live lecture is a PDF of the instructions for folding the origami bird for The Oldest Trick in the Book. The folks at Penguin have also included my effect Past Present Future as a bonus download with the lecture.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Many thanks to everyone who has purchased my Penguin Live lecture, and especially to those folks who have posted reviews! http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8078

In addition to reviews by Lucien, Tony, Oscar, and Rudolph, and one from Christian Cagigal, there are some reviews from magicians who might be encountering my work for the first time. If you've enjoyed the lecture, please consider posting a review/rating, which will help direct other magi toward it who might have similar interests. It will also encourage Penguin to continue booking a variety of performers with different approaches and styles. Here are some nifty quotes from the reviews so far:

"This is a wonderful lecture, the material is fantastic and there is something here for most everyone. And David was a delightful and gracious teacher. This is on my list of top Penguin lectures."

"This lecture ranks up there with the best I've seen at Penguin -- and I've seen some good ones. Awesome lecture, a pleasure to watch. Entertaining and enlightening."

"This is the Best Penguin Lecture Ever. Period. Every effect is usable and has a valuable lesson in it. Beginner or advanced, there's something for everyone. I'm excited to use this material!"

"If you get this lecture, that means more people will do this material, then I can't have it all to myself. So just don't. Let me keep it all!"

"David Parr's lecture was stunning, the only lecture that kept me captivated from start to finish. If only all lectures lived up to this standard."

"Not only did it exceed my expectations, but I finished the lecture energized and excited about the possibilities of my own magic practice."

"An excellent lecture!"

"I keep coming back to his lecture to watch it again."

"His explanations are meticulous and show so much passion and care."
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
A very nice lecture. The "oldest trick in the book" is worth the price of admission, the other effects, theories and anecdotes are icing on the cake Smile
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, Nestor D! Oldest Trick has been fun to perform all these years.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Finally got this and just finished watching it. Loved it! David's sense of humor had me rolling, two lines in particular..."Now it's a party" and "I have had my shots"...perfect theatrical timing. Great Magic and Mr. Parr is such a likeable guy. Highly recommended!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I'm glad you had fun watching the lecture, rowdymagi5! Thanks muchly! And if you have a moment, share your thoughts in a review on the Penguin site. Your recommendation might help put the lecture in front of someone else who will appreciate my sense of humor... 😀
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
543 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
I loved the lecture David. Here is the review I have just posted on penguin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David does an excellent work with this lecture, I hope there's another one Smile

You can tell David loves this art, and I love his theatrical approach to it.

There are close-up, parlour and stages effects and in some cases tips to adapt the from one environment to another. Every effect is explained in depth to a point it's evident that David has tweaked and performed them a lot, so the effects are fail proof.

There is only one thing I don't like, and it's not David's fault, and it's that Mr.. Joe Diamond and Mr.. Christian cagigal have not yet got a lecture scheduled Smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice work, I want to see more!
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2017, OnTiltSoon wrote:
I loved the lecture David. Here is the review I have just posted on penguin

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, OnTiltSoon! Much appreciated. Lots of magi have mentioned The Oldest Trick in the Book as a favorite part of the lecture. Did you have a favorite effect or section in the lecture?
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
543 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2017, David Parr wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2017, OnTiltSoon wrote:
I loved the lecture David. Here is the review I have just posted on penguin

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, OnTiltSoon! Much appreciated. Lots of magi have mentioned The Oldest Trick in the Book as a favorite part of the lecture. Did you have a favorite effect or section in the lecture?

What I liked about all the tricks is that they look very clean, lay audiences can't tell when 'the things that have to be done are done'. But if I had to choose one of them, it would be fortune8. Mainly because it's uniqueness and how devious the method is. I swear I will adapt it to my culture/language and persona Smile Very intrigued about Christian's approach.
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, OnTiltSoon! I hope you have fun with Fortune8!
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
Of the numerous online lectures I've purchased, David Parr's lecture ranks on my top 5 favorites (for the curious, David Williamson, Bill Malone, Juan Tamariz, and John Carney are the other 4). It is full of tried and true material that you can tell was developed with careful thought and years of performance. The material is taught clearly and David and Joe do a great job explaining the small nuances behind their creations.

There are no fillers in this lecture, just solid magic with practical (and devious) methods. Even if you decide not to add any of Mr. Parr's material into your repertoire, the information he shares through years of experience is worth the weight in gold and should be studied by any magician who wants to understand how to present and construct strong, theatrical magic. Proof positive has been my go to impromptu effect for a long while now, so it's bittersweet to see it included in the lecture as I've enjoyed the exclusivity. However, I'm glad that others will be able to make use of it since this little gem has never failed to get a good reaction.

My wife and I had an opportunity to witness a performance of The Magic Cabaret a few years ago and both enjoyed it. As a local Chicagoan, I'm proud of the success of their show because I believe that they've done a tremendous job representing the art of magic in Chicago. This lecture just reminded me that I should make the effort to catch their show again in the near future. If you ever find yourself in the Windy City, indulge in some deep dish, Chicago style hot dog, Italian beef sandwich, etc., but make a point to see The Magic Cabaret. And if you can't make the trip, then I urge you to invest in Mr. Parr's lecture - the $30 you spend will be worth the lifetime of knowledge that is shared throughout...here's to hoping for a part 2 lecture.

- Joe
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Wow, Jaybs, that's a great review! Thanks muchly for taking the time to share your thoughts! I hope you posted this on the Penguin site as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the lecture and The Magic Cabaret. The show has no doubt changed since the last time you saw it, so there'll be some surprises in store for your next visit!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penguin Lecture (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL