The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Are Canes and Candles Still Fashionable? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Do you feel that canes and candles still have a place in manipulation acts?

In acts like Channing Pollock - Lance Burton - Fantasio and other talented magicians who used these items in their acts.

Or--

Are these items "out-dated" in today's magic?

And do you feel audiences seem them as a thing of the past?

I know some magicians like to perform magic "they like". I was just wondering if today's audiences feel the same way about these items?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think audiences see canes simply as magic wands, and lay people are familiar with candles whether they are simple emergency candles or fancy dinner candles. So no, I don't think they are outdated--no more outdated than, say, newspapers and magazines.

I also think audiences expect magicians to use esoteric objects now and then. It's a little like when you see someone like a computer technician take out some kind of diagnostic tool when working on a computer. You may have no idea what the gadget is for, but you accept the notion that it's something he's been trained to use.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
As Sonny pointed out, canes and candles will run by today's audiences. I would add that the magician's character has to be in keeping with these objects. The characters portrayed by Pollock, and Burton seem to be appropriate for these props.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In my late teens, and very early 20s (in the late '40s, and very early '50s, I was trying to be "swayve & deboner". (I definitely wasn't!) I bought "white tie & tails", and a folding opera hat, and a Whitehouse cane to table.

Then, a very wise agent told me to be funny. He said, "If you can make 'em laugh, I'll book you!" I did, and, he did.

I sold the suit, the top hat, and the cane to table!

About 40 years ago, I "inherited" a Russ Walsh Vanishing Cane, from an old, retired, magician friend. I use it, occasionally, when I need a few extra minutes. I "introduce" it by saying it was a gift from an old, retired, magician friend, who performed in a "tuxedo" in vaudeville. Then, I vanish the cane in a rolled up newspaper. It's VERY STRONG! --But, it's not a "part of my wardrobe! I don't do the visible vanish. That wouldn't fit my character.

In the late '40s, I did the vanishing lit candle. It got a fine reaction, but lit candles were not acceptable in the thousands of schools where I performed for 50 years! I haven't used it in 60 years.

Sonny's and Leo H's comments are valid, but, those props must be appropriate to you and your act!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I always liked the cane vanish in a sheet of newspaper--especially the way that Fred Kaps did it.
There's also a lot of potential for comedy with the vanishing cane--and even the appearing cane as well. Roy Gardner and Wittus won the FISM award for Best Comedy Act that had some great running gags with canes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqxqEU_LpfM

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Dick's comments about comedy always remind me of the "Make 'Em Laugh" song and dance number by Donald O'Connor from 1952's "Singin' in the Rain":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SND3v0i9uhE

To borrow a phrase from another great show tune: "THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!"

----- Sonny
And for the music lovers among us, the theme and even the tune of "Make 'Em Laugh" is very similar to "Be a Clown" from the 1948 film " The Pirate":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYf0L-QP_k
----- Sonny Narvaez
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you all for your comments. I used to do a white tie and tails act in the 70s. It booked well.

As for Dick's comments. I could not agree more. "Funny in money."

That said, I have been asked to come up with a new "straight magic" act for a series of gigs.

I was wondering if there could be an updated version of this style of act. "Suave and debonair" Updated music and formal wear. An act that would allow the use of props (canes and candles) I have a great deal of experience with. Thus the reason for my question.

Again, I offer my thanks for your responses.

Kindest regards.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think David Copperfield struck a happy medium between "suave and debonair" and simply "well-dressed" in his specials, as seen in the beautiful levitation sequence from one of his TV specials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jks2wYvlb4

His beautiful assistant is dressed more formally than he is.

A rule of thumb cited by some of my mentors used to be "Be as well-dressed as the best-dressed person in your audience." And sometimes an agent may suggest how formally you should be dressed. When I did a show for the Perry Ellis Company, for instance, I was asked to appear in formal attire. But today with promotional video brochures as well as paper brochures, it's easy for the client to see what you usually wear when performing, which gives them an idea of what to expect.

When I was the official magician for the TV promo spots for a PBS station, they were OK with a tux. But when I road on their parade float for Norfolk VA's Azalea Festival, they specifically asked that I wear white tie and tails--mainly because part of the float was a huge top hat with two kids dressed as rabbits popping out of it.

Here are links to a couple of photos of the Parade Float:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater
and
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater

----- Sonny Narvaez
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you, Sonny. Your suggestions go along with many of the magicians I trained under. All of whom worked in the 50s, 60s and 70s. "Never be ashamed to be the best dressed man in the room."

I understand the attire part, I was just wondering if "canes and candles" fit if you are dressed in attire less formal than the traditional "white tie and tails"?

I performed in a cabaret a couple of years back dressed in a nice tailored black suit complete with black shirt and tie. During this series of performances I used a Fantasio candle and cane. The effects were well received and on several occasions the audience members sought me out after the show and asked "How did you make that black stick disappear?"

So I guess I have my answer. If the prop(s) fit the "theme" of the act, as well as the music, etc. Than the items are "current".

I do appreciate all your time and energy spent to comment.

Best regards.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Context is everything. If you can justify your props, actions, etc., AND get the audience on board with that, then it will fly. The mistake I do see is when a performer tries to justify these things by simply believing, "It fits my character."

The audience has to accept your character in order for this to work. Venue has much to do with this, too. A show onstage usually has a lot of lateral slack. You are in essence, creating a play. While we hear talk of breaking down that fourth wall and "connecting" with the audience, the fact remains, this is a stage and the audience's place is in the seats being voyeurs, with minimal and regulated participation.

Once we enter their domain, the rules change. If you show up at a pool party wearing white tie and tails, or show up at a formal corporate dinner dressed as a pirate, you will instantly be the elephant in the room.

Nothing is obsolete in the proper context. The bigger challenge is often bringing the audience up to speed so they take the same ride with you. Dan Garrett had a beautiful line with his color changing records. Assuming many kids have never seen a 45rpm record, he said, "These are your grandpa's CD's". It gave them a point of reference and therefore, relevance.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Very well said, Michael!

It took me more than a few dates (when I was breaking in, back in the late '40s, and early '50s) to realize that the tie and tails didn't fit the casual venues that I worked then. I started doing school assemblies, a few years later. About 80% of the time, I was in a lunch room or a gymnasium! A tuxedo would be the "elephant" in those situations.

Besides, dressing room facilities were seldom easily available, AND, their was never enough time to dress, if there was facilities!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
A candle can be used all the time. It is timeless. A cane is for modern audiences outdated. How many people use a cane like that in daily use?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Beauty and elegance are timeless. So long as the routine is beautiful, I expect, though obviously I don't know, the audience won't care that much what you use.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On May 26, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
A candle can be used all the time. It is timeless. A cane is for modern audiences outdated. How many people use a cane like that in daily use?

A cane used BY modern audiences would be out of date. A cane used in a performance BY the performer is only a matter of artistic interpretation. Not all magic performances are "organic" and intended to reflect the standards of the latest fashion... nor should they be. If that were the case, we'd all be dressing like hip hop artists or wearing business suits. What is wrong with creating a stage persona and a character that breaks the mold of what is "normal" around us? Just look at the attendance and success of cosplay gatherings. People LOVE fantasy. Magic is a fantasy. It is not a normal occurrence. Magicians who wish to be "normal" guys who do things that are not normal are free to do that. But, they should stop inferring, if not insisting that all magicians follow suit.

My philosophy with magic is, if everyone is doing something because it is modern and trendy, you can bet I will not. I want to be the best ME. I don't want to be one of you.

A cane may not be something you'd have as an accoutrement if going to the movies, or to a football game. It would be out of character. If your character justified the use of such a cane, you'd be an odd duck, if attempting to fit in with everyone else. If you were however, in a dance recital or in a play, no one would bat an eye, as long as your character would or could have a cane. No one complains about fire dancers twirling flaming bo staffs, but who else do you know that carries one with them??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I would use a formal cane for daily use... but then, I tend to be a little eccentric. Also due to complications after my heart bypass I often walk with a cane or even a wooden walking staff like the one on this amazon.com page:
https://www.amazon.com/Brazos-Ironwood-W......aff&th=1

But the most eccentric thing I've ever done was when I was a teenager in the 60's walking home in the dark with an Atomic Lamp lit up in my hand so that drivers could see me.

----- Sonny Narvaez
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
I love candle and cane magic it seem like fewer and fewer people use them.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I heard that fantasio is not making his candles anymore? that makes it hard to do candle tricks.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I bought my first appearing Walsh metal cane at 12.
It promptly flew out of my hand and through the front window.

My father yelled “You are not going to be a magician”

We all know where that went.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
So Jay! Are you the guy who was first to do the broken and restored window pane?

Did you also add the sucker explanation?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
No but my father told me to take that contraption back to “my friend” Swoger and get my money back because it was dangerous.

Three weeks later I bought a vanishing cane and it closed on my palm, screwing itself into the flesh making a nice round slice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Are Canes and Candles Still Fashionable? (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL