The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tabled riffle shuffle, position of wrists and elbows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EagerlyLearning
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of EagerlyLearning
I have a couple of questions regarding this shuffle.
The literature, such as Card College, recommends keeping the pinkies in contact with the table at all times during this shuffle, to make it look relaxed and and natural. But I find that I have a tendency to lift/twist my wrists too much, gripping the cards too much from above, which makes the shuffle look more strained. It should be more like a side-grip on the halves, yes? But is it normal also to keep the wrists constantly in contact with the table? Also, is it common to put your elbows on the table, or more common to keep them outside the table?
I was also wondering about the same thing regarding running cuts, and the false one - up the ladder. You have to lift the hands a little above the table during this?
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
I had the same questions before.
I don't believe there is a standard to the questions you asked.
It's absolutely fine to either grip the cards at inner or outer ends or either setting your wrists on the table or suspending them.
Please watch Forte's GPS and 52 and also how Jason England handles cards if there was any standard. They constantly suspend their wrists and elbows.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Steve Reynolds' DVD "Z" has his work on the Zarrow shuffle. But much of the time is spent teaching how to do a tabled riffle shuffle "properly." You might find this DVD useful in your quest.

Mike
cfirwin3
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, New York
233 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Probably the best answer for anyone on this is going to be personal and closely related to the various types of 'false' shuffles that one uses.
For me, I settled on a mid section grip with my little finger probably touching the table most of the time. This position gives a moderate balance of coverage and openness that is fitting for nearly all of my false shuffles. My goal was to make all of my shuffles (false and legit) look nearly the same. Often times, teachers will say that you should make the bogus thing look as much like the real thing as you can... therefore, it is essential to do the real thing "properly". But I think that there is more of a balancing act to help make the real stuff blend in with the unavoidable 'covers' of the false renditions.

The most universal comment that I have heard, though, is that riffling should be done quite lightly, with as little bend as possible... usually riffling only the inside corners. There is a mildly hilarious moment in Martin Nash's "Infinity and Beyond" video, during the performance section where the spectator is shuffling and he jokes something to the effect of "I haven't seen someone shuffle like that in a long time! You're likely to be hanged for shuffling like that!". He is so obviously, nervously, trying to get the spectator to take it easy on the cards... for good reason. Smile
failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of failed_drummer
Ultimately, it will come down to what's natural for you, but I'd highly recommend reading Expert at the Card Table and doing exactly as described. Although the description may be a bit verbose and/or strange initially, it covers all the important aspects and describes a very neat, efficient and elegant shuffle. The key (to the whole book, really) is to try to understand not only what is being described, but why as well.

Personally, it slightly varies depending on how far along the outside edge my fingers are; if they are at the very inner conner, normally only my middle finger is on the edge, with the others curled on top of the deck, thumbs at the inner corner of the inside edge, wrists and forearms resting lightly on the table; if they are in the middle of the outside edge, all my fingers are on the outer edge, thumbs in the middle of the inner edge, slightly further in than than the fingers, wrists and forearms resting lightly on the table, or maybe slightly hovering, depending on table height; and if they are at the very outer corner, only my middle and third fingers are on the outer edge, thumbs on the inner outside corner, wrists and forearms about 1.5-2 inches off table, depending on table height.
For cuts and squaring, my fingers are normally just short of vertical, kind of arching over the deck, so my wrists would be about 3-4 inches off the table.
In general, I try not to chicken-wing my elbows out, mostly just as a style thing, but keeping them too close to the body can affect the movements and look just as weird.
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
A second vote for Z. Super thorough, teaches good habits, and you'll learn the Zarrow!
EagerlyLearning
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Thx you for your answers. It was very helpful. I think I might have been influenced too much by watching myself in a small mirror, only showing the hands. You get a somewhat different impression when you see the whole body/person. I will however, try to keep my pinkes in the table, as Giobbi says, because I like the appearance of my hands when doing this.
I also will check out the Reynolds DVD. It seems that both Reynolds and Gary Plants have dvd's on the zarrow-shuffle, and both are highhly regarded. I already have Jason England's download on the subject.
However, so far I'm no great fan of the zarrow-shuffle. It almost always looks a bit fishy to me. I sometimes wonder if it looks more natural to push the top "cover" cards above the middle packet, rather than to push the middle packet in & under the cover cards. Or at least both hands should move, to strengthen the illusion?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, EagerlyLearning wrote:
Thx you for your answers. It was very helpful. I think I might have been influenced too much by watching myself in a small mirror, only showing the hands. You get a somewhat different impression when you see the whole body/person. I will however, try to keep my pinkes in the table, as Giobbi says, because I like the appearance of my hands when doing this.
I also will check out the Reynolds DVD. It seems that both Reynolds and Gary Plants have dvd's on the zarrow-shuffle, and both are highhly regarded. I already have Jason England's download on the subject.
However, so far I'm no great fan of the zarrow-shuffle. It almost always looks a bit fishy to me. I sometimes wonder if it looks more natural to push the top "cover" cards above the middle packet, rather than to push the middle packet in & under the cover cards. Or at least both hands should move, to strengthen the illusion?

Reynolds will make you a believer. Plants... not so much.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, EagerlyLearning wrote:

Reynolds will make you a believer. Plants... not so much.

.....and Shane Cobalt works will make you a believer
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
There is always differences when others out "their work" on a move like the Zarrow. There is a pretty good download on Vanishing Inc called "Doug Edwards - On the Zarrow Shuffle" he was a freind of Herb Zarrows and shows some tweaks that Herb taught him. I'm not saying it's any better than the other vids, just different.

As for regular shuffles. You have to do what you are comfortable with. You don't need to force an opinion upon yourself. Nothing at all against Giobbi, but that is his opinion. (Most of which are sound) but shuffles and deals are done very differently in different parts of the world. Even different parts of a country. Most laymen I know do either a sloppy overhand or a sloppy tables riffle. You would never see a Vegas Dealer do either like that. Any poker game I have played in Nevada has been more of a "hand wash" type shuffle on the table or an auto shuffle/randomizer built into the table near the dealer. (Decks were changed back and forth each hand).

Do what is most comfortable to you and adjust the sleight a bit if you feel it looks different than your normal shuffle.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
cfirwin3
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, New York
233 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
In short... If your shuffle looks natural and works... It is a good shuffle, in spite of what you read or see from a variety of differing opinions.
EagerlyLearning
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Actually I just found this zarrow shuffle from youtube, that I think looks very good. One of the best I've seen. Maybe the only thing that is missing is more resistance when the cards go together.
What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3I387JoYaU
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tabled riffle shuffle, position of wrists and elbows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL