The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Will Tsai - AGT. Mind=Blown (119 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Rodc, just because sleight of hand is eliminated doesn't imply they will always suspect it's a gaff. Although the likelihood is greater. For instance, the bill in lemon effect immediately discards sleight of hand in spectator's mind, yet they don't think the fruit is gaffed or fake. Another example, card to wallet : people know you can't put the card inside that zip compartment within 2-3 seconds (while they don't even have evidence or feeling of you palming a card) with the wallet inside your pocket and they do not suspect there is a secret device or the wallet is gaffed. If you vanish a silk, and make it reappear inside a card box (using duplicates - and if you showed the box empty before switching it) which they open themselves, people surely won't think it's sleight of hand. It really depends on the effect. The working of some effects is so simple they don't take a lot of imagination (e.g., linking rings, levitation) but some effects would require a high level of imagination (e.g., Out to Lunch) to get it right.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
That was absolutely astonishing to watch! A truly beautiful and mystifying illusion.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
Rodc, just because sleight of hand is eliminated doesn't imply they will always suspect it's a gaff. Although the likelihood is greater. For instance, the bill in lemon effect immediately discards sleight of hand in spectator's mind, yet they don't think the fruit is gaffed or fake. Another example, card to wallet : people know you can't put the card inside that zip compartment within 2-3 seconds (while they don't even have evidence or feeling of you palming a card) with the wallet inside your pocket and they do not suspect there is a secret device or the wallet is gaffed. If you vanish a silk, and make it reappear inside a card box (using duplicates - and if you showed the box empty before switching it) which they open themselves, people surely won't think it's sleight of hand. It really depends on the effect. The working of some effects is so simple they don't take a lot of imagination (e.g., linking rings, levitation) but some effects would require a high level of imagination (e.g., Out to Lunch) to get it right.

These are terrible illustrations of Will's Matrix. Look, the truth is, Will was very entertaining and there was that magical moment. I assure you all the hits he has had have produced a different mind thought than when they witnessed it. Much like David Blaine's levitation, magicians mind you were going nuts over a camera trick and the stooges. The effect is the same as David Copperfield performing one of his box illusions without the cloth so all could see what happens. A combination of SOH and his board would have been a lot more classie. Learn from the Masters and then inject your creativity and skills. Hollywood can produce/does the same thing.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Be interesting to see what he does next since you have to keep topping each previous performance. I assume he will stay within the realm of close-up magic but who knows.
But I think he has set the bar pretty high for himself since people and the judges will be expecting something more visual than the norm.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Steven Conner, honestly, you should read more carefully when you're quoting someone, I noticed it's not the first time you misread me. Where did I say (or even suggest) it's an illustration of Will Tsai's matrix ? Can you quote that for me ? I will help you here, "just because sleight of hand is eliminated doesn't imply they will always suspect it's a gaff" : that was in the text you quoted.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
MH1001, that wasn't a quote, so nothing was misspoken. If I'm not mistaken, this thread is about Will and his effect on AGT. So when one gives illustrations I just assume we're talking about the post. Anything we can use to enhance our performance of magic is great as long as nothing is given away. I don't believe I misread you, but what's with the illustrations if you're not making a reference.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Tim Cavendish wrote:
A player piano is a marvel of engineering.

But it doesn't belong in a talent contest.

Read about Conlon Nancarrow.

http://www.kylegann.com/index2.html
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Steven Conner, if so you shouldn't quote me. But since you did, it was logical for me to assume that your post was a response of the text you quoted. I was merely responding to Rodc, merely saying that it's untrue that if sleight of hand is dismissed, there is necessary nothing left but trick materials. Although I understand that in Will's situation, some people will think there is something going on with the table, because it's not too difficult to imagine, and by reading some comments on YouTube, I see some people seem to think that way.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Bugjack -- Thanks for the link about Conlon Nancarrow. Fascinating and relevant.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Teddy Meagher
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Teddy Meagher
The creator of the gimmicks for this routine did an amazing job, this is what I imagined real magic would look like
MNOiSY
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MNOiSY
It was a great performance but the moments after the matrix style introduction were so over the top, it introduced too much doubt.

If he restrained it to two moves, the snap of all coins moving once and then the rose petals, it would have left much more mystery and room for interpretation. The only explanation you are left with for the second half of the trick, from both magicians and non-magicians, is it has to be a trick table.

Not to take away anything from this amazing performance, I just think in this case, in my opinion, less would have been more.

It definitely shows what is possible and his performance was flawless!
MagieLucas
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
93 Posts

Profile of MagieLucas
Loved this. will is very talented which is very good for us and for magic. very good trick.
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
I cant believe the people fawning over Will Tsai in this thread. The mind boggles. Very short memories.
BenHowardMagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of BenHowardMagic
This looked amazing, good job Will and team!

Ben
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
163 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Teddy Meagher wrote:
The creator of the gimmicks for this routine did an amazing job, this is what I imagined real magic would look like

Succinct and well-stated. Ben Blau has a cogent post a page or two back.

My perspective of the trick, as someone who's been a viewer and practitioner of magic for fifty-five years, is "It looks good." No more than that. Nothing visceral. Forty years ago it probably would have knocked my socks off...
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, Doug Trouten wrote:
Earlier in this thread, somebody suggested Will's performance was like a musician bringing a player piano to a talent competition. I would accept that analogy with these stipulations:

1. The musician designed and built the player piano himself.
2. The player piano was used to present an original arrangement by the musician.
3. The piece performed was a duet, requiring active participation by the musician throughout.
4. Nobody had ever seen a player piano before.

I'm going to agree with this thought. I think the act was fantastic and a great show of a creative mind. Really enjoyed it and hope he brings more like it.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
FISM-winning manipulator Yu Ho Jin seems to view the trick table in the same category as camera tricks:

https://www.facebook.com/magicianYu/videos/1459265560810357/
Melies
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
114 Posts

Profile of Melies
Doug, I completely agree with your addendum to the "player piano" metaphor!

Will, I loved hearing about the feeling behind the effect, because I think it helps explain why I found the routine so powerful. It wasn't just the visual transformations. It was the final transformation of the "hard stuff" of life into the ephemeral, fragile, soft, beautiful stuff of life. Coins into rose petals....And done precisely NOT as some "due deference" to the magician's skill at juggling, but as real magic--something impossible, alchemical.

I really think we magicians should stop thinking that audiences want or need to have the attention come back again and again to our "skill." (This is why I don't do flourishes when working with cards, and also why the Professor generally downplayed flourishes, I believe.) Personally, I would rather be thought of as a "metaphysician" than a "trickster."
Robert Houdin 78
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Robert Houdin 78
Thank you Will for this GREAT magical performance on AGT!

R.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
To people saying that it isn't a good trick since the table does all the work...do you have the same view on all other gimmicks such as card and coin gimmicks?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Will Tsai - AGT. Mind=Blown (119 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL