We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Benson Bowl sources / ideas (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3715 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I am interested is doing a nice Benson Bowl routine. I have seen the ones sold by Rings-n-Things and although very nice, a bit more than I wish to spend. Same thing with the Ben-San Bowl http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14926 nice package but not what I am looking for. Several wooden bowls came up on my search but they were hitting the over $100 and more.

I guess what I am looking for are suggestions on the right size and shapes of a nice bowl I could maybe pick up in the kitchenware dept of my local Walmart or similar. Is there an advantage of a taller thinner (diameter) bowl over a short wide one? How much height do I need inside? I am guessing if I use a super large sponge for a final, it wouldn't matter as much as if I wanted to produce a fruit or something large that does not compress?

Thanks.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
It looks like a standard ramen bowl to me. Something like one of these would probably work right:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EIYCI5S/ref......02FZECN4 (probably not the cheapest, but the first I found).
I'd get one of the bigger - ~8" ones over the small 4" ones.

I don't know if Walmart would have such a thing, but if you have a Chinatown nearby, I'd be a Chinese supermarket or cooking supply store would have something you could hold in your hand and see if it felt right to you.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7505 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have found many bowls suitable for this routine. One favorite is an enameled metal 'campware' bowl for which I use marshmallows instead of balls.

a special advantage is that a magnet can be easily affixed and removed form the outside that turns a spot on the bowl into a Chop Cup.
Also, with proper balance a gimmicked ball will slide down the inside of the bowl on its side from one hand to the other -- allowing for additional moves tot he routines (using both hands)
"there is real merit in the magician who tries to be creative – from such endeavors magic sustains its life energy." Harold Rice

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1424 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Poof, on ebay you will find a plethora of brass bowls at lower price and in any size, take a look.
Also in youtube there is a Werner old video doing the bowl routine and you can see in it the bowl size he uses
In one John Mendoza's DvD he does the bowl routine and he explains that he adjusted his final loads (cereal boxes) to fit the bowl
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1424 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
630 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Some like a bowl with a foot so it can be flipped over with the wand to show the contents. One good starter bowel is called a, PAUL REVERE ONEIDA Silver plated bowl 4", I found one like it at a yard sale but this is on ebay for under $10. It should be big enough to fit your final load like a bagel, and two or three sponge balls during the routine. I like the RNT2 bowl since the foot is part of the bowl so it can take a baseball load, but looks too small. Another place to find spun metal bowels is the Powder Room department of a homecenter store.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Peckham
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I purchased a nice burl wood bowl at a local craft show for $30. It is the perfect size and looks great.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
This is a Benson Bowl I made/used from a steel mixing bowl.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VmMt6V]

It could take a large regulation Softball as a final load.

On top was a concave Aluminum knob for handling, (with a baseball resting on top which is a final load just before the larger ball) which if you look closely, at the base, is a rare earth magnet. The sponges, made to simulate peas, had a small steel bearing inside....thus a Benson Bowl Chop Cup that could take a large final load.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
3715 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Great ideas, I guess I will just look around until something "calls me".

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Search for "brass bowl with pedestal"
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
3715 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I found a nice size porcelain bowl at Walmart for under $4. It is all white, has a small base you can lift it by and the outer design is grooved so you can palm it like a basketball easily too. Makes a beautiful ringing sound when I tap it with a wooden wand also.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-......55552830

They were only sold as singles in my store but I may take it back and get a set of 4 for that price. Smile

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
3715 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Found an even better bowl - and was able to make it a "Chop Bowl". Posted it in The Workshop forum.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=26

Smile Smile
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
1688 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Years ago when my father had RNT2 he and a gentleman overseas by the name of Werner Sietz were working on the Benson bowl routine together. a little more than 1/2 way through the project Mr. Seitz passed away.
Dad said we lost a fine man and magician. To make a long story short they would ccomunicate via DVD showing each other moves and slighted and working on what size bowl to use. Dad gave me the DVD to watch.
After some discussion with my father, he told me I could re-stream the video and post it on YouTube. There is a wealth of information on it. Mr. Seitz was smooth as silk with a bowl. Dad ended up finishing the project
and released a metal version. After researching Roy Benson, he released the Benson bowl to Roy Benson's specs. Only 25 bowls were made from various hardwoods.

If there is enough interest in the DVD please poll here and I'll take the time to stream It up to YouTube.

Mad Jake Jr.
For quality cups and balls, go to www.rnt2.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I'd be interested in seeing it!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
3715 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Me too. Smile

Smile Smile
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
376 Posts

Profile of Jay
Please upload that video, Jake!
Jay Rosenberg

"Once you become aware of the gulf between what people profess to believe and how they actually behave, it’s hard to take any of it seriously"--Pat Condell
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1846 Posts

Profile of puggo
+1
Yes please. I've long admired the skill here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xonZoodldbI&t=112s
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
1688 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Well hell. Puggo, that's for saving me the time, That is the DVD Werner sent to my father along with abut 3 others before he passed.
I'll go looking for the other DVDs Thanks for saving me the time Smile

Jake Jr.
For quality cups and balls, go to www.rnt2.com
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I love the Benson Bowl routine. I think I've found the best bowl to use
for this routine in my friendly neighborhood Japanese grocery store.

It cost me less that $3.00 <see attached picture>

This beautiful lacquer-ware rice bowl is a real jewel. It is a perfect
size (about 4+ inches wide), The base is a perfect size for handling.

AND it is black on the outside with beautiful gold oriental image, AND IT
IS RED on the inside (a perfect way to avoid flashing my red sponge balls
during the load sequence). I had to cut down a set of 2" balls that I had
handy so these would fit in the bowl. So I trimmed these down and made
these egg-shaped (so the balls would not roll off the table).

Smile

Click here to view attached image.
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1846 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, Mad Jake wrote:
Well hell. Puggo, that's for saving me the time, That is the DVD Werner sent to my father along with abut 3 others before he passed.
I'll go looking for the other DVDs Thanks for saving me the time Smile

Jake Jr.

Thanks for thinking of us all Jake Jnr, Its a shame there's not more of his work available.
Charlie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Benson Bowl sources / ideas (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL