The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Draven Reviews: Liquid Killer by Morgan Strebler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
439 Posts

Profile of William Draven
Title: Liquid Killer
Artist: Morgan Strebler
Producers: SansMinds Productions
Link: Available At Your Favorite Murphyís Magic Dealer
Demo Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrWj4HLNEuU
Retail Price: $24.95 USD
Learning Difficulty: Moderate to Hard.
Length of DVD: 40 Minutes (Approx.)

A little disclosure before I do my review on Morganís latest opus on metal bending. Morgan and myself are good friends, and we have been for years. I became a huge fan of Morgans ten years ago after his first metal bending release: Liquid Metal. After seeing what he could do with cutlery I wanted to be like him when I grew up. I practiced, but was never satisfied with what I could do because I never quite felt like I could compare myself with the skill I saw on the DVD. Metal bending on Morganís level has always been one of those elusive magic goals that Iíve chased and never quite captured. When his newest release came along I had to pick it up out of support for him. And since Iíve reviewed his other two DVDís I figured Iíd go ahead and do this one as well. At least this is going to be the only product that SansMind puts out that wonít require heavy DIY gimmick construction before you can learn the trick.

The first thing I noticed about this DVD is that SansMind actually got the artist themselves (Morgan) to teach the trick instead of having one of their inhouse boys, like Herman, handle the tutorial. Then again, I had to laugh to myself because itís Morganís metal bending. There are very few people in the world that can compare on his level with an act that has made him world famous. Probably better that they got him to teach it in that regard.

The DVD is surprisingly short for Morgan. If I remember correctly Liquid Metal was over two hours of solid tutorial and presentation. This DVD feels more like his love note to the fans of his metal bending routine. Itís certainly an add on, a crown jewel, and the definitive final say in his metal bending school of thought. There are only four people Iíd learn metal bending from, Morgan is certainly on that list. Regrettably though thereís no real-world video of him doing this for an actual audience. Itís all in studio which was kind of disappointing. Itís one thing to hear the theory as to why each move and nuance is important, but itís another to then see it in action for real people. And with Morgan every single move is motivated, thought out, and planned. Nothing is by accident.

Liquid Killer has been in production for ten years, as Morgan has struggled to come up with a final chapter on his metal bending routine. What I like about Liquid Killer is that it leaves the audience with something more than a memory, it leaves them with a nice little piece of art that they get to keep. The final tine bend pattern is smaller and looks better than previous versions. It feels a lot like the original Liquid Metal routine since it has the corkscrew bend (also the corkscrew tine bend of Liquid Metal 2), and the fatigue break but the ending to Liquid Killer is just on a whole level onto itself. There are a lot less big hand motions with this. The moves are compact, and as I said super thought out. Nothing is by accident. It feels like youíre watching the metal actually bend and morph before your eyes. The only major take away is that typical SansMind crap about withholding TV rights. Which actually poses some litigation questions since Liquid Killer has been built off of Liquid Metal one and two. Just how much of Liquid Metal, the moves, and the routine can they claim?

Overall with a price tag of only $25 bucks this is a no brainer. If you bend metal, or you want to then thereís no finer teacher. Get Liquid Killer now. Youíll thank me later.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8
Great product! Good price. Strong magic.

Teaching Quality: 9
Youíre in good hands with Morgan.

Video & Sound Quality: 8
Great video and sound.

Overall Quality: 9
Great routine! Morganís opus on metal bending. This is the final chapter, and either for reference or performance it is a must have.

Do you have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at thewilliamdraven@gmail.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.
StraightTalkMagicReviews
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of StraightTalkMagicReviews
Here is Straight Talk Magic Reviews take on Liquid Killer. Great review by Draven!

REVIEW: Liquid Killer by Morgan Strebler and SansMinds
RATING: 9 out of 10
LINK TO REVIEW: http://straighttalkmagicreviews.com/liqu......nsminds/
FULL REVIEW: Liquid Killer by Morgan Strebler and SansMinds is an amazing metal bending DVD. Strebler is known for Liquid Metal, from over a decade ago, and now Liquid Killer takes the routine to the next level.

The DVD itself is under 40 minutes long and is excellently produced. Strebler himself teaches and performs the multi-phased fork bending routine, but there are no live performances. He demonstrates the routine in the studio with no audience and the camera work at times hides the dirty work. I wish that was not the case so you can see everything. In real life, the misdirection of the act ensures that the audience does not see some of what is happening, so I suppose that the performance with selective camera angles is meant to give you a real-life spectator experience.

Strebler goes through the routine, step-by-step and his teaching is excellent. He draws upon the subtleties and focuses on the small moves that make this miracle even more miraculous. As mentioned above, there are no live performances and I wish there were. It is important to see how Strebler moves his body and how he manages his audience in real life with real people. This is the type of magic that one can learn from the DVD, but in my opinion, the assistance of a mentor is crucial to get this down right.

For those that have no experience bending forks, this will take a significant amount of work to get every aspect running cleanly and with fluidity. Even for those with experience, practice is required and it will pay off.

The greatest part about this routine, aside from the incredible looking fork at the end, it the fact that you will give away the twisted cutlery and your spectator will keep it forever. No one will try and bend it back because it is a work of art. The twisted tines are so incredible looking that it is a keepsake for sure.

Watching Strebler perform is like watching a master artist create. It is as the ad-copy says, a masterpiece. This DVD is excellently priced at $24.95 and is worth it just to watch a guru perform and explain his secrets.

Strebler teaches you how to misdirect, what words to use, how to bend, break and manipulate the fork. He teaches you how to set up and how to work on the fly.

Strebler does not discuss what forks to bend and if you want special forks, where to get them. SansMinds indicates that this requires a 2 out of 5 skill level required. I think it is more like a 3 out of 5. They also claim that audience management is a 2.5 out of 5 and I think it is more like a 3.5 out of 5. Finally, SansMinds says that there is a 360 performance angle, which can be the case, but is not always Ė it depends on what you are wearing and how deep your pockets are.

Liquid Killer is a brilliant piece of art and for anyone with any interest in metal bending and misdirection, this is a great gift.

www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com
At Straight Talk Magic Reviews we tell it to you straight and do not sell any product. Visit us for magic product reviews only at www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com or at https://www.facebook.com/groups/StraightTalkMagicReviews/
novestro
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of novestro
Well, the routine is good, but the problem is this:
"Strebler does not discuss what forks to bend and if you want special forks, where to get them."
The forks must be soft enough that you can bend them the way the master shows it, but hard enough to give them away. Having searched the net I have not yet found a suitable quality. Can anybody give a hint?
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1202 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, novestro wrote:
Well, the routine is good, but the problem is this:
"Strebler does not discuss what forks to bend and if you want special forks, where to get them."
The forks must be soft enough that you can bend them the way the master shows it, but hard enough to give them away. Having searched the net I have not yet found a suitable quality. Can anybody give a hint?

Yes, Walmart or Target.
Before you think I'm being flippant or joking, I am completely serious. Buy your forks at Walmart or Target. Try them out and find some you really like.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Draven Reviews: Liquid Killer by Morgan Strebler (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL