The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tough Crowd - 2-year-olds. (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
What is a good show for 1 to 3 year-olds? I don't mind a little slap-stick, but it seems any real magic falls flat. They only liked spring snakes and the ending of Spot. Any suggestions?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Lots of clapping, wiggling fingers (and tell them what should happen if they help you. I.E. tip the end so they know it worked) music and color. Puppets or even stuffed animal used to play (along puppet lines) to tell a story. Some very young Kids like pretending with toys better than a puppet. There is often a Toy of their own you could use. Just playing with them as a group is the vibe that works best.
Blendo
Color book
Feather duster as a Magic wand (pretend tickling them under the arm).
D'lite or Misers Dream (Don't give them the coin).
Sponge balls
production of a toy. (I wouldn't do candy nowadays and especially not for 2 yr. olds).

No matter what you do, these are toddlers and they will do what interests them at the moment. You can keep most of them interested though.

I refer them out even though I could do it. I don't want to. I like working as a Magician.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2017, MichaelCGM wrote:
What is a good show for 1 to 3 year-olds? I don't mind a little slap-stick, but it seems any real magic falls flat. They only liked spring snakes and the ending of Spot. Any suggestions?

No. You wouldn't like my suggestions, anyway.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If the party is for a 2 year old and it is a mixed age party of Family and friends, I do my Family show material. The 2 year old will love having fun with the Family and Friends.

Frankly, I think a Magic Show for a group of 2 year olds is a waste of money for the client. Sometime they just want a babysitter (which is weird because I'm always going to want an Adult or Teen to be there and they could be having fun with the Kids themselves).

Sometimes I think they want a show because they are trying to impress Daycare Clients or other Parents by having a show. They have their reasons and after explaining that Toddlers don't "get" reality well enough to understand Magic and that they would be just as happy playing with any kind Adult, I'm happy to refer them to a friend who has great fun doing the "show".

At that age, nothing is more fun or better for them than the attention of their near and dear people.

-Mary Mowder
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I rarely take a show under 4 years old unless it is a family show.
I just feel like a espensive babysetter.My show does have comedy.
But my style isn't to just be there and be funny.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I remember hiring an entertainer for my son's first birthday. (I was too busy running around taking care of everything, so the last thing I was going to do was also perform a show as well.)

To my way of thinking, the entertainer's job was to entertainer everyone there and in a sense, just pay homage to my son's first birthday. I knew full well there was no my son was going to comprehend what was going on around him.

So when I get these kinds of calls, especially for a child's first birthday, this is my approach.

Having said that, I usually take a pass when it comes to birthday party shows for children ages 2-3.

Gerry
DutchMagicMan
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of DutchMagicMan
My experience with this age group isn't that big, so I'm not sure if I am in any right to say anything about it, but here is what I've learned:

I wouldn't make it last too long. Something around 20 minutes is really enough.

I actually have a show for this age, and although it took some time, I do believe I have a good act now, which entertaines the kids, keeps them seated and they understand. Mary gave away most of my routines: Misers Dream, Sponge Balls, Colour Book and D'Lites are all in there. I also do something with Rocky Raccoon, which they love. And there are lot's of wands involved, which the kids adore (hit yourself with one a few times and they won't stop laughting). Repeat things: A LOT. Keep it fast and keep it fun.

Also, they don't really get 'magic' yet, so focus on the fun and entertaining side and not so much on the mystery side.
Hope this helped!
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
IMO Just way too young. Turn it down. When daycare/preschools ask to do a separate show for that age group I want to laugh at them. I always state, It's ok if they sit to the side for the show, but magic is simply not for that age group. As silly as my show gets, they're just too young.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
One year and two year. You can not do anything.
Three year you can do slapstick things. Spring snakes etc.
Four years you can do a magic show for.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Thanks a million, guys and gal. :o) I only took the show because it was a double-header and the pay was good. It was one show with 130 1- to 3-year-olds, then a show with 130 3-and-up. I wrongly assumed that adding some slap-stick and silly-magic might placate the little darlin's. I was unpleasantly surprised. The snake can and appearance of Spot at the end of that trick, as well as a rainbow mouth coil were all that they could handle. The rest, though not disastrous, played to a bored group of kiddies.

For 50 years, I've turned down all shows for kids under five, except for family shows, as Mary, bowers, et al pointed out. And for those family shows, I give the under-five birthday child a white-rabbit hand puppet. So, it's back to avoiding them like the plague (the non-family, corporate ones that is). I'd love to come up with a 15- to 20-minute routine that would keep them entertained, in case I get another high-paying double-header, but I don't think it is in my best interest as an entertainer.

Again, thanks, so much for sharing your experience and expertise. I truly appreciate it.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Followup question: Does the type of comedy used by Eric (The Great Zucchini) work for 1- to 3-year-olds?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I might be wrong, but I don't believe that even Eric performs for children ages 1-2. For him, I believe it's ages 3 and up. Again, I could be wrong about that.

Terry Herbert had an interesting DVD out called MAGIC FOR UNDER FIVES, but I believe he mostly targeted children ages 3-5.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
I might be wrong, but I don't believe that even Eric performs for children ages 1-2. For him, I believe it's ages 3 and up. Again, I could be wrong about that.

Eric's site says 2-6, but I haven't actually asked him. I just ordered one of his DVDs. I'd really like to have something in the closet, just in case I really need to accept a Pre-K show for a good client. Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I've only been asked for parties for 1 not 2 year olds.
The first year is a big celebration. Friends and family and photo ops.
The set show is for the older kids and at times, close up add on, for the adults that are mostly upstairs.

Harris
Still too old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I agree with many of the sentiments above ... 2 years old is just way too young. And if they do show up for a daycare program, I do the same thing Tommy described above: Have them sit off to the side with teacher supervision.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
When booked for a party for a child that young, I first find out the age of their siblings and determine if I'll there's a large enough number to perform for. If not, it's just not worth it.
I'm surprised that no one suggested the most obvious, duck tape.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Leave it to The Great Zucchini.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Dynamike wrote:
Leave it to The Great Zucchini.

I would, Dynamike, but Eric's got more shows than he can shake a stick at, just in his area.

Now, here's something that I thought was truly going above and beyond the call of duty. I, for one, am always willing to help others who are trying to move into areas in which I have some experience and expertise. And, when I’ve decided to move into other areas of our art, I've come to the Café to pick the brains of those who have already excelled in those areas. And they are usually quite willing to help.

But, today I received a call from The Great Zucchini himself. Eric called to offer his help and to answer any questions I may have, regarding a Pre-K type of show. It was not only a pleasure to speak with Eric, but his thoughts and ideas were pure gold. Now THAT’S what I call a true pro and someone who is dedicated to the art and to helping others. You can bet your bottom dollar that I’ll stay in touch with the King of Pre-K. No one I know works harder or more often than Eric. Kudos!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Kids that young don't understand what magic is, from what I've learned.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned duck tape.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tough Crowd - 2-year-olds. (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL