The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Help with a rope move :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Hello Café!

I've been reading through these posts and I've done a few google searches through the Café looking for the name of a rope finale. I saw a wonderful library performance of a rope routine on YouTube and I can't find it again! But I'll describe the ending. And I have no doubt 80% of you will know what this is instantly. I apologize for my ignorance.

At the end of the routine, the magician coils up the rope in his hand. It seems as if the routine is finished. But when he pulls his hands apart, the rope has several equally spaced knots tied in it. The move is in the coiling and threading the rope, but try as I might, I can't reproduce it! It's wonderful. Can anyone provide the name of the move or direct me to a source?

Thank you!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I call it "Lotsa Knots" and you'll find it performed and explained on The Wiz Kid Rope Magic DVD available on their web site: http://wizkidzinc.com/DVDs/rope01/wizkidsROPE01.htm

In the Stewart James Encyclopedia of Rope Magic, it goes by the uninspired name of "Any Number of Knots."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It's the first rope trick that I learned, when I was about 11. I couldn't find a piece of soft rope, the right size. So, I borrowed the soft cotton cord (belt!) from my father's bath robe! My father is now "late" (the robe, too!) --but, I still have that blue and white bit of cord in my "memory box"!

Nowadays, almost any Boy Scout could show you!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Thank you all!!!! And when you pull the rope all of them are evenly spaced apart, right? Is there any limit on the number of knots? Just the number of coils right?

I'll check out your site, Jim!!! And thank you Dick.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It takes a bit of practice to get them spaced evenly, but it's not difficult. The number of knots depends on the length and flexibility of the rope used.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The ending you describe sounds somewhat like ending Mac Kings routine (just after he cut the rope into many pieces.
To be clear, that belongs to MK.

But just making the knots appear from an uncut rope is in many places: Daryls Expert Rope Vol 2, Tarbel Vol 2, and The Encycopedia of Rope, and as Jim said above on the Wizkids rope.

The effect goes by the name "hindu knots", "any number of knots.

The knots will be fairly evenly distributed, and pretty much any number .
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Help with a rope move :) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL