The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rubber band info requested... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
I dimly recall being told once that size 16 and size 19 were suitable rubber bands for things like "Crazy Man's Handcuffs" (anybody know the name Arthur Setterington originally gave the effect, btw?) and effects involving wrapping a RB around the deck. But which bands for which application? Opinions? Other thougts?
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
The biggest difference between 16 and 19 is just their length. (19 is longer.) Pick whichever one you like better, either will work fine.

The reason these are best is because of the cross-sectional shape. Wide rubber bands don't work since they look visibly different when they're stretched- which means it's more obvious when two pieces of band that have different amounts of tension are next to each other. No good. These are fairly small around (and square) so it's much harder to tell.

My understanding is that people sometimes like 16s for CMH, since they're a bit shorter and easier to put under tension, and 19s for things that go around your wrist and/or need extra length for complicated setups. But it doesn't matter as much then, unless you have more ideas you want to get started with.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Thanks very much for that.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
Penetrating Rubber Bands (CMH)
Arthur Setterington
New Pentagram, Vol. 2 Published as, “Getaway”
check me out on facebook #MAGICTOTD
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Rindfleisch wrote:
Penetrating Rubber Bands (CMH)
Arthur Setterington
New Pentagram, Vol. 2 Published as, “Getaway”

Thank you VERY much! Smile
MultiSlacker
View Profile
New user
GA
59 Posts

Profile of MultiSlacker
Joe Rindfleisch sells his recommended bands over at Penguin. I like them, they last a long time and the size is perfect for me.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Or you can order them directly from Joe's site:
http://www.rubberbandmagic.com/

Dave
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
Thanks guys for mentioning my bands.

Joe Rindfleisch
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Rindfleisch wrote:
Thanks guys for mentioning my bands.

Joe Rindfleisch

Do the Rainbow and Executive Black bands come in size 16 or only size 19?
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
Only #19 which is the industry standard in magic.

-Joe
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Industry standard? There are no standards...we all use what is best for us...
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Too bad they are only #19. I was going to buy both Rainbow and Executive Black but my hands are small I need #16 to do CMH properly with effortless confidence. I suppose I could learn other band effects I would use #19 for. Am wondering do these bands feel slightly oily like something that has Armor All on it since it says they are shiny after the solution has been applied. Do they need to be treated often or by the time it wears off are the bands ready to break from wear anyway?
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I've never had to re-treat any of the bands I've bought from Joe.

Are they shiny/oily like Armor All, nope, not that severe (if at all).

Dave
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Ok I am placing an order for both Rainbow and Executive Black Thanks. Smile
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
If you find they're not for you, you'll have no problem unloading them to us.

Dave
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
The reason it is the standard is because the newer tricks that are possible require your to stretch the bands further then ever before. Using regular #19's will work but they break very easily. My bands hold up well to the stretching and pulling that is reqiured for modern band effects. there is still a place for size #16 for example some like CMH done with smaller bands or boomerang band. but I don't carry them. I would have to have 100's of pounds of bands made and there isn't a big enough market to support the risk to making a rainbow pack in size #16's

I hope you understand.

Joe Rindfleisch
anevard
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC, Canada
42 Posts

Profile of anevard
Just picked up some of Joe's Executive rubber bands (fantastic bands) and a bottle of Elastraflex to use for renewing the bands and for some of the Alliance band's I already have. I would really appreciate some advice on proper application of the product to non-treated and also to previously treated bands. Can they be put in a plastic bag and shaken with a few drops or better to apply individually?

Thanks, Andrew
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
When I have applied it to untreated bands. For just a few bands - I grab the bunch that I want to treat (maybe 20 or so) and stretch them across my fingers of one hand, then put a drop or two on my finger tip and thumb and apply it all the way around rubbing gently. Then I store them in a ziplock baggie.

For a large amount, I do the same multiple times as it assures even distribution in my opinion.

I also try not to treat some because the treatment is detrimental in some effects (like a basic thumb penetration) they can be too slick to work on some methods with any treatment. If I know I will be doing those type effects, I keep a few bands that I have "removed" the treatment (or not treated at all) handy. To remove it, just pinch the band with your finger and thumb (dry) and run the whole band thru it a few times. You will eventually wipe off enough to do those moves.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Joe -

Ah thanks for that clarification. You are right, there are tons of rubber band tricks out there. I only do CHM and for that use the #16, so forgive my focused view. I would love to see you (someday) come out with the #16 in yellow. Maybe there is a market?

David
anevard
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC, Canada
42 Posts

Profile of anevard
Thanks Poof-Daddy. I will give that a try.

Andrew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rubber band info requested... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL