The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Sponge bunnies are great!" But what routine? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1104 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
I've heard a thousand times that sponge bunnies is unbeatable, but I wonder what routine you guys/girls do?
I have a decent retention vanish that I use for "A basic routine" taught on the great and late Daryl dvd. Now I'd like to try out sponge bunnies but I am uncertain what routine people are talking about when they say that the bunnies are fantastic.

Have a great Sunday!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3788 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I don't believe there really is "One great routine" that it meant by that saying. I think it is more of a figure of speech referring to "sponge magic" (bunnies, balls, whatever) being what they remember over some convoluted, sleight heavy card routine it took you years to learn and master. Sponge balls and such happen way more in their hands than most card stuff. Therefore, they remember it more. As for "bunnies" in general, I prefer the Ammar set with the extra large bunny (sold separately) as a kicker but I still will do sponge balls over bunnies most of the time.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2689 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Bunny jumps from your hand to your hand, then from your hand to spectators hand then a bunch of babies show up in the spectator's hand. Most routines have those elements in that order. If there are differences they are subtle.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2441 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I agree with Mike, most the routines are very similar. Daryl has a routine, Bob White tipped his on his Penguin lecture, Bob Sheets has a version. JC Wagner at a lecture said, "you show them all these great card tricks and all they talk about is the *&^% bunnies."
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2537 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Mike has the right structure. End with the big moments i.e. jumps to their hand then then babies.

Mike
makulit974
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2017, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Bunny jumps from your hand to your hand, then from your hand to spectators hand then a bunch of babies show up in the spectator's hand. Most routines have those elements in that order. If there are differences they are subtle.

Exactly the way I do it too. I just add a couple of 'funny moments" that work for me. These are not original but always get a laugh.
I start by having each bunny in each hand (really) and I say "watch very closely, the rabbits will change places", I touch my thumbs and open my hands. "Did you see it?". Some people find this really funny Smile One girl last night could not stop laughing at this.
Then I ask a lady to choose one of the rabbits. I keep the other one for myself (FT) and give her the second one. Then I say, "now your rabbit will travel and join my rabbit in my hand. Pause. But it doesn't stop there. Now both rabbits will travel to your hand." ***
I open my empty hand and she opens hers.... At that moment, I have plenty of misdirection to get ready for the finale with the babies.

*** By saying that, some people do believe that theirs went into my hand and then both into theirs. I do sometimes hear "how did you make both travel into my hand?". I am not sure if I am the only one who came up with this but the payoff this little lie adds is just great.
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Though it's hard to find, Chuck Smith's routine is pretty great, and Dan Strange has some nice bits in his opening that are a nice addition. Also, the routine as printed on the Adams bunny set instructions is actually pretty good as well, and most people just pass over it.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1630 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Thanks Pix. I was actually one of the first to see Chuck's routine and he swore me to secrecy. Ron Wilson was with me and that was his first experience of being around Chuck. Johnny Brown took us up to see Chuck do the rabbits. That was at TAOM in Abilene, TX.

Rabbits. I started with Daryl's routine the changed to the rabbits I use now after meeting Karl Norman. I think the main thing is to interact with the spectator's.

Chuck's routine is in Magic Magazine. But anything of Chuck's is worth tracking down. He is even in Bobo! And that reference will surprise those who don't know it.

~ Dan
Bringing the underground a little closer to the surface

http://www.DeeperSecrets.com/
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2689 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Lately, I've been doing Steve Dacri's routine that comes with his Goshman bunnies. After all the babies appear you put them in the specs hand and pretend to magically take a few out. Ask them how many they still have and they will respond "a lot". When they open their hand they have one giant bunny.

So it gives you a nice encore after the baby bunnies appear. I have not found it to be anticlimactic. The reaction is great.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1104 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you everybody!!!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1326 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I use Daryls routine myself. However I'm not that versed in bunnies
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5676 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I think mine is based on something from Routined Manipulation Finale. I just do two phases.
bigALmagic.com

Where have some of the most valuable members gone?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13151 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2017, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
I use Daryls routine myself. However I'm not that versed in bunnies

I mostly use daryl's as well, or at least it started that way.
i don't use the same bunnies he does so I skip whatever it was he does at the beginning of his routine; the part that requires specific bunnies.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MitchC
View Profile
Veteran user
Ventura CA
339 Posts

Profile of MitchC
I do Daryl's 'Pappa Rabbit Hits The Big Time' ... great routine. No need to look for others, for me at least.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1104 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, MitchC wrote:
I do Daryl's 'Pappa Rabbit Hits The Big Time' ... great routine. No need to look for others, for me at least.

What phases do you do? All of them?
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
788 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Mike Rogers had a nice gimmick for procuring the babies indetectably without doing to the pocket. You'd have to find his book The Complete Mike Rogers published by Magic Inc. in 1975.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Sponge bunnies are great!" But what routine? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL