The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to keep track of magical stock (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Raymond42
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Raymond42
I store my effects in strong manilla envelopes, each numbered and with name of effects.

The envelopes are stored, numerically, in drawers.

I've compiled both numerical and, also, alphabetical lists for these items.

Those too bulky to fit into envelopes are neatly packaged and stored in cupboards and larger drawers. An alphabetical list of these items has been compiled, indicating which cupboard, or drawer, they can be found.

It's so easy to amass a multitude of effects, then either forget them, or where they can be found.

This system means you'll know exactly where to find your effect and also to keep track of what you've got.

Hope some of you may find this helpful!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend Ray!

Manila envelopes can keep "pieces & parts" organized, but sealable plastic bags protect delicate "things" from humidity. --important if you live in a hot, moist climate. File a copy of any instructions in the plastic bag.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Raymond,
Thank you for sharing.
That sounds like an efficient way of organizing your magic.
I use cases and bins and try to keep them sorted by category. Such as wallets, silks, cards, etc.
I also make a list of what is in each bin and tape that list on the bin.
I guess the main thing is whatever works for,you is fine. I have this bad habit of reorganizing and then I can't find my magic when I need it.

Ihor

Quote:
On Jun 26, 2017, Raymond42 wrote:
I store my effects in strong manilla envelopes, each numbered and with name of effects.

The envelopes are stored, numerically, in drawers.

I've compiled both numerical and, also, alphabetical lists for these items.

Those too bulky to fit into envelopes are neatly packaged and stored in cupboards and larger drawers. An alphabetical list of these items has been compiled, indicating which cupboard, or drawer, they can be found.

It's so easy to amass a multitude of effects, then either forget them, or where they can be found.

This system means you'll know exactly where to find your effect and also to keep track of what you've got.

Hope some of you may find this helpful!
Ihor
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Raymond42 - I used that system for a while storing all my envelopes in bankers boxes. Then I found that it was beginning to take up too much space. A few t tips in a manila envelope takes a lot more space than a few stacked on each other and placed in a bin.

So now, I have this shelving unit with bins: small, med and large. I keep small props and tricks in the smaller bins. Bigger packaged tricks in the med to large bins. Cards stack up in the smaller bins nicely.

Over the years I've trimmed down the number of effects I do and therefore have less props. The bin system isn't quite as organized as yours. One advantage is that I can pull the bin out and quickly see if the trick or gaff I'm looking for is in there. The disadvantage is that it's no where near to being as organized as your system sounds and I still lose items. Well, maybe not lose them. More like misplace them when I really need them, only to find them when I don't.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
I do pretty much the same as Ihop.... have things in boxes / bins by category. 3 separate ones for cards (normal decks), 1 for gaffed decks for performance and 1 for packs of utility cards in decks or pay envelopes i.e. DB, DF, Blank Face / back etc.

Then one for coins, silks & sponge ballse. One for wallets, envelopes and their supplies. One for just supplies i.e. double stick tape, rubber cement, hand moisturizer, sharpies, sticky notes etc.

Not the best method, but it's what works for me.
Owen
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Owen
Good stuff. My 1st magic kit was Blackstone Jr's. I'll never forget it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to keep track of magical stock (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL